Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I watched the Buckeyes today and saw a team with more talent than the Bengals
I watched the Buckeyes today and saw a team with more talent than the Bengals. Granted the Buckeyes are not more talented at every position, but Young is better than the Bengals DEs; the Buckeyes OL is better; their WRs are better, except for Green; their secondary, as a whole, is better; their LBers are better and they aren't really the strength of the Buckeyes' defense; RBs are better except for maybe Mixon. Hell, even their FG kicker is better.

One other notable is that the Buckeyes' coaching staff is significantly better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
They should be, those guys are paid more than average NFL players
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The Bengals, as bad as they are, would beat Ohio State by 40 points. As would every other NFL team. The college vs pro comparisons are among the dumbest things to come up among sports fans.

I almost started to explain why here, but I'll stop short of wasting my time.
Reply/Quote
You can't really compare college football with the pros. The very best college teams often have a small number of players that are good enough to even make it to the pros and out of those even fewer that are good enough to be NFL starters. At the same time they are often playing against teams that have even fewer if any players that are good enough to play pro football. So they may play lights out but you have to consider the competition and the average level of skill.

Most starting college football players on every team, even the very best teams, will never put on an NFL uniform. If you matched the best college team against the worst NFL team the college team would get blown out.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Here we go again with these ridiculous posts comparing college teams to NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 07:02 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Most starting college football players on every team, even the very best  teams, will never put on an NFL uniform.  If you matched the best college team against the worst NFL team the college team would get blown out.

Unless they're playing the 2019 Dolphins. They'd find a way to throw the game anyway. 

Gus Johnson: And here comes the Dolphins' emergency third QB! It's their punter who is coming out for the opening series! The Dolphins now cannot put Fitzpatrick or Rosen in the game at all, what is coach Flores doing? This is an exhibition game! This doesn't affect draft position!!!
Reply/Quote
Better coached? Yes. More talented? Child please.

We'll have more stuff to complain about in 24 hours. No need to get ridiculous today.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 07:02 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: You can't really compare college football with the pros.  The very best college teams often have a small number of players that are good enough to even make it to the pros and out of those even fewer that are good enough to be NFL starters.  At the same time they are often playing against teams that have even fewer if any players that are good enough to play pro football.   So they may play lights out but you have to consider the competition and the average level of skill.

Most starting college football players on every team, even the very best  teams, will never put on an NFL uniform.  If you matched the best college team against the worst NFL team the college team would get blown out.

I don't know....

Normally I would probably agree with you, but Ohio State over the last 4 years has had 35 players drafted. 12 of them were drafted in the 1st round, another 14 were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Think about how crazy that is. If you took the last four years of Ohio State drafted players, you could make a team consisting of 

QB: Dwayne Haskins
WR: Michael Thomas
WR: Curtis Samuel
WR: Terry McLaurin
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
TE: Nick Vannett
LT: Taylor Decker
LG: Billy Price
C: Pat Elflein
RG: Michael Jordan
RT: Jamarco Jones

DE: Joey Bosa
DT: Adolphus Washington
DE: Nick Bosa
OLB: Sam Hubbard
ILB: Jerome Baker
ILB: Raekwon McMillan
OLB: Darron Lee
CB: Marshon Lattimore
CB: Eli Apple
(Nickle CB: Gareon Conley)
S: Vonn Bell
S: Malik Hooker

...and this year is considered the most talented Ohio State team. There's a couple weak spots in that roster, sure, but you'd have 5 Pro Bowlers, including arguably the best WR and one of the top 3 RBs in the league with a pretty darn good secondary and pass rush. Also all those players were drafted in the NFL, and only 2 of them were drafted later than the 4th round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 07:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know....

Normally I would probably agree with you, but Ohio State over the last 4 years has had 35 players drafted. 12 of them were drafted in the 1st round, another 14 were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

You are comparing drafts over 4 years with 1 team this year.  That doesn't really support your argument that this year's Ohio State team is better than a pro team.  You can't add up 4 years worth of players to state a current college team has better players than a pro team. It doesn't work that way.  Big Grin

Even adding up all those last 4 years of drafts the majority of Ohio State starters over those 4 years never made it in the pros.  Maybe I should have been more clear, I don't know since I didn't think it needed explaining but to expand... The very best college teams often have a small number of players each year that are good enough to even make it to the pros and out of those even fewer that are good enough to be NFL starters..

Edit: Side note if 11 players (half of a football team starting lineup, defense and offense) from this year's Ohio State team or more get drafted I'll make a sig that says "TheLeonardLeap was right the 2019 Ohio State team was better team than the Bengals". Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:02 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: You are comparing drafts over 4 years with 1 team this year.  That doesn't really support your argument that this year's Ohio State team is better than the worst pro team.  You can't add up 4 years worth of players to state a current college team has better players than a pro team. It doesn't work that way.    Big Grin

Even adding up all those last 4 years of drafts the majority of Ohio State starters never made it in the pros.    Maybe I should have been more clear, I don't know.   The very best college teams often have a small number of players each year that are good enough to even make it to the pros and out of those even fewer that are good enough to be NFL starters..  But I didn't think that needed explaining.

I'm comparing drafts over 4 years because that's *roughly* how long a player is in college. Redshirt, play 3-4 years, get drafted.

A lot of those players were on the same team together. Justin Fields isn't going to be drafted in 2020 because he's not eligible yet, but he's still on the same team with Chase Young, who will be a Top-3 pick in the 2020 draft. If Justin Fields were allowed by the rules to be drafted in 2020, he'd be drafted. It doesn't make him less talented, it's just how the system works. You have to look at multiple years of drafts in order to judge a team. For the 2019 Buckeyes, you'll have to look at the 2020-2023 NFL Drafts.

If you wanted to cut back the 4 years to just a 3 year span, it really didn't change much. The 2016-2018 drafts were very heavy in Ohio State players. It's not their fault they are forced into unpaid labor for a minimum of 3 years before they're allowed to be drafted in the NFL.

I didn't think how NFL draft eligibility works needed explaining.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:02 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: You are comparing drafts over 4 years with 1 team this year.  That doesn't really support your argument that this year's Ohio State team is better than a pro team.  You can't add up 4 years worth of players to state a current college team has better players than a pro team. It doesn't work that way.    Big Grin

Even adding up all those last 4 years of drafts the majority of Ohio State starters never made it in the pros.    Maybe I should have been more clear, I don't know.   The very best college teams often have a small number of players each year that are good enough to even make it to the pros and out of those even fewer that are good enough to be NFL starters..  But I didn't think that needed explaining.

I would argue that there a several Bengals players who aren't making it in the pros.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 07:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know....

Think about how crazy that is. If you took the last four years of Ohio State drafted players, you could make a team consisting of 

QB: Dwayne Haskins
WR: Michael Thomas
WR: Curtis Samuel
WR: Terry McLaurin
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
TE: Nick Vannett
LT: Taylor Decker
LG: Billy Price
C: Pat Elflein
RG: Michael Jordan
RT: Jamarco Jones

DE: Joey Bosa
DT: Adolphus Washington
DE: Nick Bosa
OLB: Sam Hubbard
ILB: Jerome Baker
ILB: Raekwon McMillan
OLB: Darron Lee
CB: Marshon Lattimore
CB: Eli Apple
(Nickle CB: Gareon Conley)
S: Vonn Bell
S: Malik Hooker

...and this year is considered the most talented Ohio State team. There's a couple weak spots in that roster, sure, but you'd have 5 Pro Bowlers, including arguably the best WR and one of the top 3 RBs in the league with a pretty darn good secondary and pass rush. Also all those players were drafted in the NFL, and only 2 of them were drafted later than the 4th round.

That OL is pathetic and Dwayne Haskins is sitting behind Case Keenum.  Dude, it ain't even close.  OSU would get monkey stomped .  Put down the scarlet and grey Kool Aid.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: That OL is pathetic and Dwayne Haskins is sitting behind Case Keenum.  Dude, it ain't even close.  OSU would get monkey stomped .  Put down the scarlet and grey Kool Aid.

Not even a big OSU fan (Go Bearcats). Just recognizing that they have produced a ton of high draft picks lately.

As for the OL, 2/5ths of the 5 I listed there have made multiple starts for the Bengals this year. That means it's comparable talent right there. Lol

I'm not saying they could beat the Bengals if the Bengals were 100% healthy... but the current 0-7 Bengals? I don't know, man.... the Bengals would have Webb covering Michael Thomas, Vigil and Brown trying to stop Ezekiel Elliott, and on the flip side Bobby Hart and Billy Price trying to stop the Bosa Brothers while Marshon Lattimore and Eli Apple cover Boyd and Erickson.

I think Atkins and Hubbard (remember Dunlap is hurt) would eat up that OL, but there's not a ton of other favorable matchups for the Bengals as they are this second.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 06:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The Bengals, as bad as they are, would beat Ohio State by 40 points. As would every other NFL team. The college vs pro comparisons are among the dumbest things to come up among sports fans.

I almost started to explain why here, but I'll stop short of wasting my time.

Yep. Unless you’re saying it as a joke it’s ridiculous.

Remember how good Billy Price was at OSU? How’s he doing in the NFL so far?

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm comparing drafts over 4 years because that's *roughly* how long a player is in college. Redshirt, play 3-4 years, get drafted.

A lot of those players were on the same team together. Justin Fields isn't going to be drafted in 2020 because he's not eligible yet, but he's still on the same team with Chase Young, who will be a Top-3 pick in the 2020 draft. If Justin Fields were allowed by the rules to be drafted in 2020, he'd be drafted. It doesn't make him less talented, it's just how the system works. You have to look at multiple years of drafts in order to judge a team. For the 2019 Buckeyes, you'll have to look at the 2020-2023 NFL Drafts.

If you wanted to cut back the 4 years to just a 3 year span, it really didn't change much. The 2016-2018 drafts were very heavy in Ohio State players. It's not their fault they are forced into unpaid labor for a minimum of 3 years before they're allowed to be drafted in the NFL.

I didn't think how NFL draft eligibility works needed explaining.

That still isn't how this works. You stated that this year's Ohio State team is more talented than the Bengals. I countered by stating only a few players on even the best college football teams are even good enough to make the pros much less be starters. Thus no college team could compete with a pro team. Then you tallied up 4 years worth of players from Ohio State to form your dream team.  You can't form your own fictional current college football team with past players and say they are better than a pro team.  It doesn't work like that no matter how you feel about unpaid labor and NFL draft eligibility. Even when considering the good players that are not draft eligible this year the majority of the team members will never end up on an NFL roster.

I mean are you trying to say that Ohio State currently has at least 22 players, 11 on offense and 11 on defense, good enough to start on an NFL team, even the worst NFL team? If so that would be something rather amazing.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I would argue that there a several Bengals players who aren't making it in the pros.

Well aside from the fact that they are actually in the pros when the majority of starting Ohio State players over the last 4 years as well as the majority of starting college players from other major programs are not . Ninja

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I was already to vent about how dumb it is to think the Buckeyes could beat the bengals. Then I thought about Andy Dalton facing the Buckeyes Defense and my brain shut down  Mellow
Reply/Quote
The Buckeyes are what every fan of Ohio football could realistically call the Clevenatti Browngals.. 
I know..if only the Buckeyes would find ways to lose every week..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
You HAVE TO take this in consideration when you watch the Buckeyes compared to the Bengals.

The Buckeyes are always in the top 20 teams in recruiting for the modern era.

Last year they were #1.

Do you honestly think the Bengals would look like they do if they were even in the top of NFL for drafting and signing Free Agents?!?

Hell to the no.

Most of OSU's schedule they face teams in the bottom or mid-level recruiting.

Of course they play higher ranked teams occasionally in the schedule.

If that doesn't scream apples to oranges between the Bengals and Buckeyes I don't know what to tell you!!

Plus it's a much more desirable job for a coaches as well.  So yeah, it's gonna get some decent ones.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 08:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I would argue that there a several Bengals players who aren't making it in the pros.

Hilarious  Truth
Reply/Quote