Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I yearn for the days SNL and comedians were not political hacks in disguise.
I grew up loving SNL. They took turns with funny jokes and dialogue with Presidents of both parties. I grew up watching the funniest late-night host of all time Johnny Carson. His monologue was not filled with political hit jobs. He was a true professional.

Now we have political hacks like Kimmel and Falon who frankly are not funny. At least Falon is talented, Kimmel is a nerdy guy with self-esteem issues.

Maybe someday we get back to all politicians are fair game by every late-night comedian. Sadly, probably will not happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I grew up loving SNL. They took turns with funny jokes and dialogue with Presidents of both parties. I grew up watching the funniest late-night host of all time Johnny Carson. His monologue was not filled with political hit jobs. He was a true professional.

Now we have political hacks like Kimmel and Falon who frankly are not funny. At least Falon is talented, Kimmel is a nerdy guy with self-esteem issues.

Maybe someday we get back to all politicians are fair game by every late-night comedian. Sadly, probably will not happen.

Kimmel isn't, and never was, on SNL.  So weird starting point.

Secondly, they do make fun of all politicians.  Trump supporters just get very update about jokes about him.  Might be they, like him, have no sense of humor.  I'm not sure.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kimmel isn't, and never was, on SNL.  So weird starting point.

Secondly, they do make fun of all politicians.  Trump supporters just get very update about jokes about him.  Might be they, like him, have no sense of humor.  I'm not sure.

Kimmel is a late-night entertainer and I use the word lightly. 

Please share his last attempt to attack Biden through a joke. I would love to hear it. Last I saw, he was gleaming over potential Trump trials and him going bankrupt. I am not sure bankruptcy will ever be a comical moment for anyone. 

Please share a video of Kimmel complimenting any Republican in his monologue not a never Trumper RINO. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kimmel isn't, and never was, on SNL.  So weird starting point.

He never claimed Kimmel was on SNL, and he never said a word about Trump supporters.  Mellow

You imagine some strange things.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He never claimed Kimmel was on SNL, and he never said a word about Trump supporters.  Mellow

I think Dino "sees dead people".   Ninja

Reply/Quote

I mean, imho some like Colbert went a bit extreme with their Trump jokes. Which I gladly largely attribute to Trump being extreme and also perfectly unlikeable, and also that often just citing him verbatim is funny. But it gets too much, dumb and repetitive at times. After the thousandth pee pee joke I had to severely cut down late night for me, on the counts that all the jabs indeed stopped being funny and started to turn into an annoying pandering to the liberal audience. Some worse than others.

I for one can understand the sentiment a bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Kimmel is a late-night entertainer and I use the word lightly. 

Please share his last attempt to attack Biden through a joke. I would love to hear it. Last I saw, he was gleaming over potential Trump trials and him going bankrupt. I am not sure bankruptcy will ever be a comical moment for anyone. 

Please share a video of Kimmel complimenting any Republican in his monologue not a never Trumper RINO. 

I don't watch any of them so I can't share anything.  I'm just telling you they make fun of whoever is in the news and your too sensitive to Trump jokes.

(03-25-2024, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He never claimed Kimmel was on SNL, and he never said a word about Trump supporters.  Mellow

Yeah, I missed the add on about late night hosts.  I thought it was weird.

But since Luvnit is maybe the #1A Trump supporter on these boards and his complaint is they don't go after "all" politicians it's pretty obvious his intentions.  And Trump fans, like Trump, hate jokes about him.

(03-25-2024, 04:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Dino "sees dead people".   Ninja

Kimmel is dead?

All seriousness aside you're taking it all to personally.  These guys make fun of anyone and Trump is the easiest target.  Carson did the same.
Reply/Quote
They do go after both pretty regularly. Stewart got a ton of flak for it a couple of weeks ago. At the same time, they play to their audiences. Complaining that late night shows go after the MAGA crowd is like complaining about how Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity gargle Trump's balls. It's how they make their money.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:41 PM)hollodero Wrote: I mean, imho some like Colbert went a bit extreme with their Trump jokes. Which I gladly largely attribute to Trump being extreme and also perfectly unlikeable, and also that often just citing him verbatim is funny. But it gets too much, dumb and repetitive at times. After the thousandth pee pee joke I had to severely cut down late night for me, on the counts that all the jabs indeed stopped being funny and started to turn into an annoying pandering to the liberal audience. Some worse than others.

I for one can understand the sentiment a bit.

Like I just said above he's the easiest target.  And he gives new material every day.

But he's the only one that people complain about jokes about around here.  And I don't watch those shows so I guess that's why it doesn't bother me at all.

I pretty much stopped it after Carson retired other than a little bit of Letterman.

On another note I don't watch much news anymore either so maybe that's why I don't complain about bias or what they are covering.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:44 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: They do go after both pretty regularly. Stewart got a ton of flak for it a couple of weeks ago. At the same time, they play to their audiences. Complaining that late night shows go after the MAGA crowd is like complaining about how Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity gargle Trump's balls. It's how they make their money.

Yep, the goal is to tell the audience what they want to hear so you can make money.  It ain't smart capitalism to go after both sides of the political coin these days.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:44 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: They do go after both pretty regularly. Stewart got a ton of flak for it a couple of weeks ago. At the same time, they play to their audiences. Complaining that late night shows go after the MAGA crowd is like complaining about how Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity gargle Trump's balls. It's how they make their money.

He got flak because they’re so used to having their shows go one way, then the king returned and it didn’t quite go that way.

I remember seeing Trevor Noah Daily Show commercials while watching South Park and the contrast in comedy levels was jarring. Literally almost every promo was just an “orange man bad” variation. I think maybe the bengals board makes up most of their ratings Ninja I can’t imagine tuning into it.

I’ve also said it before, there’s plenty of fodder given to writers on a literal daily basis by Biden and Harris that is ignored. I’d say it’s baffling, but it’s far from it. I would just like to see what 4 years of Maya Rudolph doing Kamala Harris would’ve looked like
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:03 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He got flak because they’re so used to having their shows go one way, then the king returned and it didn’t quite go that way.

I remember seeing Trevor Noah Daily Show commercials while watching South Park and the contrast in comedy levels was jarring. Literally almost every promo was just an “orange man bad” variation. I think maybe the bengals board makes up most of their ratings Ninja I can’t imagine tuning into it.

I’ve also said it before, there’s plenty of fodder given to writers on a literal daily basis by Biden and Harris that is ignored. I’d say it’s baffling, but it’s far from it. I would just like to see what 4 years of Maya Rudolph doing Kamala Harris would’ve looked like

There's literally nothing in this post that can be argued with.  It would be ok for left leaning people to just admit that Biden and Harris get a major pass from what passes for late night television now.  Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford was more sharp than Biden, yet I cant recall a Biden is out of it sketch at any point in his presidency.  Certainly not at a fraction of what Trump gets.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:03 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He got flak because they’re so used to having their shows go one way, then the king returned and it didn’t quite go that way.

One my favorite old SNL sketches was when Bush Sr was running about Dukakis.  Bush was in full "not gonna do it" mode and Dukakis looks at the camera and says "how am I losing to this guy?"

Of course there was a bad photo of him in a tank and all the late night people make fun of him.

We all know Trump gets most the jokes aimed at him.  It's easy.  Hell half the time they just have to repeat what he said or did.

I suppose they could make fun of Biden stuttering but Trump does that enough.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's literally nothing in this post that can be argued with.  It would be ok for left leaning people to just admit that Biden and Harris get a major pass from what passes for late night television now.  Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford was more sharp than Biden, yet I cant recall a Biden is out of it sketch at any point in his presidency.  Certainly not at a fraction of what Trump gets.

They had Jim Carrey on to do Biden during the debates, I want to say. But I think you’re right, not much if anything since then. Not that I’ve seen anyway.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 04:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, the goal is to tell the audience what they want to hear so you can make money.  It ain't smart capitalism to go after both sides of the political coin these days.

I don't see any complaints about how "The Five" or "Gutfeld!" (is that still on) talks about Biden.

Or when Maher does it.

Funny enough when I used to listen to Limbaugh in his early, national days it was because he was funny.  Even though he was making fun of Democrats there was an attempt at humor.  Then he just got angry and it stopped being funny so I stopped listening.  Not because he was till making fun of Democrats but because it wasn't funny anymore.

I guess we could just not watch the things we don't like and not complain. But what do I know?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's literally nothing in this post that can be argued with.  It would be ok for left leaning people to just admit that Biden and Harris get a major pass from what passes for late night television now.  Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford was more sharp than Biden, yet I cant recall a Biden is out of it sketch at any point in his presidency.  Certainly not at a fraction of what Trump gets.

If there is a market for a comedy show with a right-wing lean, the free market will provide it for us.  Seems like liberals prefer their "other side bashing" in the form of comedy and conservatives prefer their "other side bashing" in the form of a newscast.  How much people buy into the reality of these things is on them.  If you are telling me that Tucker Carlson acting like a complete mark for "quarter deposit" shopping carts and bread isn't comedy, I don't know what to tell you.

But why doesn't Elon Musk pay Maya Rudolph $100 million a year to make fun of Kamala Harris and pay me $100 million a year to put on a Biden mask and declare my love of sniffing children and then throw myself down a flight of stairs?

Make this show happen. Actually, I'd bet there is a cameo channel or 100+ where a guy in a Biden mask will say stupid shit for you for the right price.

The right wing money is in "news" and grievances and fear mongering more than comedy and it could be argued that the comedy shows that bash Trump are spreading fear and grievances in their own way, it's more about delivery.  That's why even someone like Roseanne Barr who is responsible for one of the most successful comedy shows in decades just resorts to screaming about bullshit and stolen elections when it comes time to show her political leanings.  It's just what people want.

EDIT - Wait a minute, I just remembered that politicians on the right from Ted Cruz to that Kennedy guy who isn't RFK to Trump himself dable in stand-up comedy liberal bashing during their speeches.  That Kennedy guy said that kale tastes like he'd rather be fat.  Got me rollin' in the aisles.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:30 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: They had Jim Carrey on to do Biden during the debates, I want to say. But I think you’re right, not much if anything since then. Not that I’ve seen anyway.

Three weeks ago:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2024/03/03/snl-cold-open-democrats-biden-behind-closed-doors-energy-mgw-orig.cnn

Two weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCfLpuLdF8Q
(Yeah, they went after both there)

Here's a handy search of a whole bunch of SNL sketches with Biden or News segments where he's mentioned from their YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/@SaturdayNightLive/search?query=biden

Enjoy!
Reply/Quote
Kimmel joke about Biden...three weeks ago:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-kimmel-makes-weekend-bernies-183914988.html

From February:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-kimmel-makes-weekend-bernies-183914988.html

And there are plenty more.

Like I said, I don't stay up to watch them anymore but they were easy to find.

So if someone is complaining are they watching and missing the jokes?  Or is there just a lot of confirmation bias going on because they don't watch and only see the Trump jokes?
Reply/Quote
Side note, how is there not a super successful comedy skit where Canadice Owens puts on a fake muscle suit and shoves a cucumber in her pants and struts around and says "I'm Michelle Obama, everyone!"
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 05:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kimmel joke about Biden...three weeks ago:

From February:

And there are plenty more.

Like I said, I don't stay up to watch them anymore but they were easy to find.

So if someone is complaining are they watching and missing the jokes?  Or is there just a lot of confirmation bias going on because they don't watch and only see the Trump jokes?

Fair enough! If I find the time I’ll check them out.
Reply/Quote