Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF We lose to Arizona...
(10-03-2019, 07:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: The roster purge can be done in a year.  We would have to accept being uncompetitive for that year as we absorbed the cap hit of the cuts and trades, but then you would have your money to rebuild in FA the following year.   

Glenn , Dalton and AJ would give them 40 mil to sign FAs w/o any cap hits.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:48 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Glenn , Dalton and AJ would give them 40 mil to sign FAs w/o any cap hits.

As much as I would hate to see AJ go, this might be the best route.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:55 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Playoffs? LOL

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Hey, Pitt and Cleveland will most likey lose this weekend. If the Bengals win, they are still in the Division race.... Nervous
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:48 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Put in Finley and see that he has.  Give the front office an opportunity to see if QB is a draft need or not.

No QB is going to be able to do anything when the line does not give him time for pmays to develop. Andy drops back 3 steps and is hit....  how is Finley going to fare any better?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 11:28 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe with an experienced head coach, but Taylor is idealistic at his first gig.  He is going to try to make things work and that includes some of the coaching personnel.  I think it will take an off season for reality to sink in before he starts making some real changes.  I think Green is going to be a problem in the sense that Mike Brown will want to extend him.  I think the days of showing aging vets loyalty should be over.  Not sure Taylor can handle Brown or the front office in terms of disagreements with personnel.  Not sure he ever will.  But there will come a point where Taylor may now how to make things work to modernize this franchise to win and he will have to bump heads at the top to get things done.  I say toward the end of next year and off season.  

Right, let the aging vets go..... then in typical Bengalsboard Bipolar fashion, we can listen to the same whining about letting aging vets go that we have listened to since Whit was let ...after he got ...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No QB is going to be able to do anything when the line does not give him time for pmays to develop. Andy drops back 3 steps and is hit....  how is Finley going to fare any better?

IDK maybe he moves in the pocket instead of being in exactly the same place snap after snap? Maybe he is a threat to run when the defense pin their ears back and go pass rush crazy. Maybe he can time his throws to go over the D-lineman. These are a few possibilities . I am sure there are others.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, let the aging vets go..... then in typical Bengalsboard Bipolar fashion, we can listen to the same whining about letting aging vets go that we have listened to since Whit was let ...after he got ...

I think the Bengals cannot afford to extend Green at this point.  Dunlap has not shown much lately.  At least Geno draws double coverage blocking.  No way Bengals should extend Dalton.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:56 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: IDK maybe he moves in the pocket instead of being in exactly the same place snap after snap? Maybe he is a threat to run when the defense pin their ears back and go pass rush crazy. Maybe he can time his throws to go over the D-lineman. These are a few possibilities . I am sure there are others.

He'll get killed, same as Dalton. At least Dalton is tough enough to take the hits time after ....
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, let the aging vets go..... then in typical Bengalsboard Bipolar fashion, we can listen to the same whining about letting aging vets go that we have listened to since Whit was let ...after he got ...

Oh yeah we won so many playoffs with Whit and Zietler. We ran the ball like a juggernaut with Whit  and Zietler. Dalton was the best QB in the league with Whit and Zietler. This team won't win by over paying ageing players and inadequate players. This is four years in a row the leaders of this team have failed and its time to let them know this isn't their team anymore. Get better or get out of the way. Green is an injury liability. He may go elsewhere and win a ring but with this team he definitely won't. Why keep him? Dalton has had almost a decade and zilch. Why keep him? Glenn is in the middle of the longest concussion protocol in league history and isn't that good. Why Keep him?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:57 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Bengals cannot afford to extend Green at this point.  Dunlap has not shown much lately.  At least Geno draws double coverage blocking.  No way Bengals should extend Dalton.  

Like I said, Green would go elsewhere, where the line gives recievers time to run routes, and would light it up. Then for the next five years all we would hear is how stupid the front office was for letting him go....
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:14 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Oh yeah we won so many playoffs with Whit and Zietler. We ran the ball like a juggernaut with Whit  and Zietler. Dalton was the best QB in the league with Whit and Zietler. This team won't win by over paying ageing players and inadequate players. This is four years in a row the leaders of this team have failed and its time to let them know this isn't their team anymore. Get better or get out of the way. Green is an injury liability. He may go elsewhere and win a ring but with this team he definitely won't. Why keep him? Dalton has had almost a decade and zilch. Why keep him? Glenn is in the middle of the longest concussion protocol in league history and isn't that good. Why Keep him?

You're preaching to the wrong choir, I fully supported the FO not paying Zeitler the crazy money Cleveland did, and not overpaying Whit at his age. As for he is still one of the best WRs in the game..... not to mention the fact he is the best shot at getting a 2nd Bengal in the HOF if that meams anything to anybody.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He'll get killed, same as Dalton. At least Dalton is tough enough to take the hits time after ....

Yeah he might get clocked but he maybe unafraid and not so skittish like Andy is either. BTW Andy wasn't tough enough last year or in 2015 either. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You're preaching to the wrong choir, I fully supported the FO not paying Zeitler the crazy money Cleveland did, and not overpaying Whit at his age. As for he is still one of the best WRs in the game..... not to mention the fact he is the best shot at getting a 2nd Bengal in the HOF if that meams anything to anybody.

If AJ is getting into the HOF he will need to get a ring. Not happening here.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:48 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Put in Finley and see that he has.  Give the front office an opportunity to see if QB is a draft need or not.

When your QB gets sacked 8 times in 1 game and is dealing with DL in his face constantly, what's a back up QB going to do?  What needs to be drafted next year is OL.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:25 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah he might get clocked but he maybe unafraid and not so skittish like Andy is either. BTW Andy wasn't tough enough last year or in 2015 either. 

Another dumb statement...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:03 AM)sandwedge Wrote: When your QB gets sacked 8 times in 1 game and is dealing with DL in his face constantly, what's a back up QB going to do?  What needs to be drafted next year is OL.

I'd likely go OT with my 1st Round pick next year UNLESS we had the Top pick in which I'd go QB.

But, yes - OL is a way bigger issue than QB.

That said, an elite QB is too much to turn down.
Reply/Quote

I see a huge difference now versus the Whittworth situation:
1. We were a playoff team, now we are a bottom feeder.
2. We tried to sign him.
3. We did not trade him because we tried to keep him.

Is it time for a rebuild? That is the million dollar question IMHO. If so, aging (close to 30 or above) vets with huge contracts are expendable as they hamper the ability to rebuild (2 to 4 years) to a winner as by the time we have the roster, they likely will be on the downside of their career or done.

If true rebuild, I say purge the high salaries and get picks in return and get rid of cap liabilities.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see a huge difference now versus the Whittworth situation:
2. We tried to sign him.

Is it time for a rebuild? That is the million dollar question IMHO. If so, aging (close to 30 or above) vets with huge contracts are expendable as they hamper the ability to rebuild (2 to 4 years) to a winner as by the time we have the roster, they likely will be on the downside of their career or done.

If true rebuild, I say purge the high salaries and get picks in return and get rid of cap liabilities.

Yep, if you're gonna do it, go all out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Like I said, Green would go elsewhere, where the line gives recievers time to run routes, and would light it up. Then for the next five years all we would hear is how stupid the front office was for letting him go....

I like Green.  He wants to be a Bengal and is one of Mike Brown's favorites.  I hope he goes somewhere and wins, maybe even a championship.  Just like Whit.  

But to your point, yes, people will complain no matter what.  I do want to keep a core of vets like Mixon, Atkins, Bates, WJ3, Boyd...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:26 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see a huge difference now versus the Whittworth situation:
2. We tried to sign him.

I'd be more inclined to try to sign 2-3 impact free agents. 

Sign Corey Littleton at MLB.

Then, I'd probably draft a RT with my #1. And sign a veteran Guard in free agency like Quenton Spain. I'd draft a Guard in the nd or 3rd Round then and groom him to be the starter in Year 2.

My line would be - #1 Pick/Miller/Hopkins/Spain/Williams - That would be atleast average assuming the #1 and Williams pan out.
Reply/Quote