Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IF the NFL Expands..... to 40 Teams.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/16/expansion-to-40-teams-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds/

I understand its picking 40 as that will keep all Conferences and Division equal @ 20/20 and 5 each division. anything less probly adds scheduling problems.

But what are your thoughts on more NFL teams.... They would likely have to add another game or 2 to the season for scheduling.

My first thought was... Its hard enough to get a full team of quality players now. Just imagine if there was 8 more teams....

But then again a lot more players will get a shot if this comes true.

What are your thoughts... And what Cities would you expect.

St Louis. for Sure But where else needs a team and could support one. Out of country might also be a possiblity Germany/England/Canada/Mexico...

Could Cali support 4 teams? could Texas? Could Chicago do 2 teams?

Do you think its perfectly set up now?
Reply/Quote
1.) Its inevitable that it will happen.
2.)The Cities that would be a lock to get an expansion team would be American- St.Louis, San Antonio, and Orlando. International- London, Toronto, and Montreal
3.) Cities that are 50-50 American- Portland, Northern California, San Diego (Chargers would move back) , And Los Angeles ( if chargers move). International Vancouver, Monterey Mexico, and Mexico City.

I think it will work because of the game growing internationally which will make the talent pool way bigger than it is now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 05:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/16/expansion-to-40-teams-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds/

I understand its picking 40 as that will keep all Conferences and Division equal @ 20/20 and 5 each division.     anything less probly adds scheduling problems.

But what are your thoughts on more NFL teams....       They would likely have to add another game or 2 to the season for scheduling.

My first thought was... Its hard enough to get a full team of quality players now. Just imagine if there was 8 more teams....

St Louis. for Sure  But where else needs a team and could support one.  Out of country might also be a possiblity  Germany/England/Canada/Mexico...  

Could Cali support 4 teams? could Texas?  Could Chicago do 2 teams?

The NFL draft just went from a 3 day marathon to 5 days. LOL....
this would dilute the talent pool available  each round too. Not a fan  of adding 8
2 sounds better 
Reply/Quote
If the NFL expands to 40 teams, we are going to have a LOT of absolutely terrible teams to watch.

Think of the worst starting QBs in the NFL right now, and then think of 8 guys worse than them. They will become starters. Then another 8 guys even worse than them will be the new backups who have to come into games when their QBs get hurt. That's just QBs. It gets uglier when you think that there will be 8 new starting Cs who are probably worse than Trey Hopkins, etc.

Barring the NFL completely wiping out NCAA Football with their own minor league football system so that everyone at 21 has been playing pro style NFL football and is thus more NFL ready, there's no chance that there's enough starting caliber talent to fill 40 NFL teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 07:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote: The NFL draft just went from a 3 day marathon to 5 days. LOL....
this would dilute the talent pool available  each round too. Not a fan  of adding 8
2 sounds better 

Yeah but then you have 2 divisions with 5 teams and the rest with 4... Which if you play your division 2 games each screws scheduling....  which is why they would almost have to push to 40 imo...
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2021, 05:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/16/expansion-to-40-teams-isnt-as-crazy-as-it-sounds/

I understand its picking 40 as that will keep all Conferences and Division equal @ 20/20 and 5 each division.     anything less probly adds scheduling problems.

But what are your thoughts on more NFL teams....       They would likely have to add another game or 2 to the season for scheduling.

St Louis. for Sure  But where else needs a team and could support one.  Out of country might also be a possiblity  Germany/England/Canada/Mexico...  

Could Cali support 4 teams? could Texas?  Could Chicago do 2 teams?

Absorb the CFL and make them play U.S. Football under retractable domes. 

Two teams from Mexico. One would be Mexico City, other could Leon.

Other
San Antonio, Oklahoma, El Paso, St Louis, Oakland, Orlando, Portland, Hawaii. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One thing that would come from this expansion would be that current owners would have less leverage when trying to get new stadium deals. Harder to threaten to move when the most common cities listed for wanting a team, all have one.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 03:39 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Absorb the CFL and make them play U.S. Football under retractable domes. 

Two teams from Mexico. One would be Mexico City, other could Leon.

Other
San Antonio, Oklahoma, El Paso, St Louis, Oakland, Orlando, Portland, Hawaii. 

I could see them bringing in the Argonauts (Toronto), Alouettes (Montreal), And Lions(BC) Although they would have to change their name.
With that being said I can not see them bringing in the Whole CFL I'm not sure the other Markets would carry any interest.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 07:24 PM)J24 Wrote: I could see them bringing in the Argonauts (Toronto), Alouettes (Montreal), And Lions(BC) Although they would have to change their name.
With that being said I can not see them bringing in the Whole CFL I'm not sure the other Markets would carry any interest.

Would love to see Edmonton vs Green Bay one day even if it was a scrimmage...

[Image: CkssbL8DPai9vSJ2vIoGEbbvUeQ-WLbMgJtUveLC...4a99503dbb] vs [Image: pjimage-2269.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If St. Louis gets a team again (and it's a great big if) they should consider building a smaller, outdoor stadium west of the city, near the intersection of I64 and I70 where they could do tailgating and fans would have better access. Plus it's a safer area of the city. A second Chicago team or even Columbus seems more likely. Texas could definitely support three teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 07:20 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Would love to see Edmonton vs Green Bay one day even if it was a scrimmage...

[Image: CkssbL8DPai9vSJ2vIoGEbbvUeQ-WLbMgJtUveLC...4a99503dbb] vs [Image: pjimage-2269.jpg]

would all canada teams want to be in a North Division? lol
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 10:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: would all canada teams want to be in a North Division? lol

Do you mean like Dallas playing in the East Division?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 12:03 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Do you mean like Dallas plating in the East Division?  Mellow

Yeah i definately think a Divisional Realignment will come with the expansion.. (if the expansion happens)
Reply/Quote
I'm more for giving cities who have not had teams new teams instead of giving them to cities that had them and could not keep them. Cities like LA and St. Louis have had their shots. I'm not sure Florida can support a 4th NFL team. I think Canada and to a lessor extent Mexico would get a team before London, just due to travel distance. I'd love to see Louisville get a team, since it is the largest US city without a top tier professional team in any sport. (we have AAA baseball and Minor League Soccer). If they put the stadium in Simpsonville, it would draw from both Louisville and Lexington, and would be right in the thick of teams like Cincinnati, Indy and Tennessee. That said, I don't see it happening. They'll probably go back to the same old cities.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 10:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: would all canada teams want to be in a North Division? lol

First and foremost if I was the commish or head of NFL expansion I would try to absorb all 9 CFL teams. Each city would be involved in the Spring in a true CFL format which would also be a minor league for the NFL.

Second tough negotiations with the Canadien government in which the taxes players/teams would be significantly lower than their American counterparts.

Third, each non-domed stadium would be required to have a retractable domed stadium whereas all games in the rain the dome would be closed. However, all snow days with a temperature of 20 degrees or higher the dome would be opened. I like snow games.  Tongue All games that are too cold the roof would be closed Nervous

Fourth, because of the tax reductions, the NFL would invest in each small market CFL city.  The NFL would be the de facto organizer in Canada with all other sport and events hosted in the domed arenas. So Edmonton for example would host NHL, musical, political, and all events.  The NFL would and not the CFL owners would own the dome stadiums/arenas which is why I said invest in Canada. With that more students would play football and more Canadiens would be interested in football with that more Canadien Colleges will have students playing football and more High School students will play football.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 12:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah i definately think a Divisional Realignment will come with the expansion.. (if the expansion happens)

The NY Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, and Washington Redskins Tongue as well as Dallas would fight hard not to separate from each other. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 07:48 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: If St. Louis gets a team again (and it's a great big if) they should consider building a smaller, outdoor stadium west of the city, near the intersection of I64 and I70 where they could do tailgating and fans would have better access. Plus it's a safer area of the city. A second Chicago team or even Columbus seems more likely. Texas could definitely support three teams.
It's not an IF it's a when! They basically have the NFL dead to rights in their Lawsuit and the NFL will give them a new team(and probably a Superbowl to host).

(11-18-2021, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm more for giving cities who have not had teams new teams instead of giving them to cities that had them and could not keep them. Cities like LA and St. Louis have had their shots. I'm not sure Florida can support a 4th NFL team. I think Canada and to a lessor extent Mexico would get a team before London, just due to travel distance. I'd love to see Louisville get a team, since it is the largest US city without a top tier professional team in any sport. (we have AAA baseball and Minor League Soccer). If they put the stadium in Simpsonville, it would draw from both Louisville and Lexington, and would be right in the thick of teams like Cincinnati, Indy and Tennessee. That said, I don't see it happening. They'll probably go back to the same old cities.

St.Louis was basically screwed by the NFL with the Rams Moving. They willing to build another stadium but Kronkie had no interest in keeping the team there.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 01:22 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The NY Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, and Washington Redskins Tongue as well as Dallas would fight hard not to separate from each other. 

NBC would riot!
J24

Reply/Quote
Or just add the World League teams, like the Barcelona Dragons and Berlin Thunder.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 01:33 PM)J24 Wrote: NBC would riot!

I understand that Fox[NFC] would riot, but why NBC?
Reply/Quote