Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho Senator Rants At Students Who Drove 300 Miles To Meet Him
I don't think there's a way for him to make himself look good here...let's see what they board has to say.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/idaho-senator-dan-foreman-abortion-murder-students_us_5a8bdafee4b0117adf7169c8

Quote:State Sen. Dan Foreman abruptly canceled a meeting with the students and threatened to call law enforcement if they ever return.

An Idaho Republican state senator has been labeled a “bully” after ranting at college students who traveled hundreds of miles to discuss a birth control bill with lawmakers.
State Sen. Dan Foreman also has been slapped with an ethics complaint for an incendiary follow-up tweet sent from an account allegedly associated with him.

The tense exchange between Foreman and about a dozen University of Idaho students was captured on camera Monday. Video circulating on social media shows Foreman forcefully pointing his finger and belligerently saying “abortion is murder” to the students, who say they didn’t come to discuss abortion at all.

Foreman’s diatribe was “unhinged,” said Paul Dillon, public affairs director of Planned Parenthood of Greater Washington and North Idaho, which is affiliated with the student group. “Even if you disagree with what we have to say, there’s no excuse for that kind behavior. He was being a bully,” Dillon told AP.

The students, who traveled from their college campus to Boise to meet with Foreman and other lawmakers, were in the Capitol to lobby for two bills ― one that allows women to receive up to a 12-month supply of prescribed birth control, and another that updates the state’s decades-old sex education law, reported the Idaho Statesman.

The student group had scheduled a morning meeting with Foreman, but the senator reportedly canceled at the last minute. The students say they left a note and some condoms at his office before moving on to meet with other lawmakers. 

“We drove 7 hours to make it to our SCHEDULED 9 a.m. meeting,” the message read, noting that the lawmaker was “not doing [his] job” by blowing them off. 
View image on Twitter
[Image: DWbzT_2VoAAtFMT?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[/url]

[Image: S46ZEguY_normal.jpg]nicky@nicky_skinz
Replying to @nicky_skinz

Here is the sign that made him so mad!
6:16 PM - Feb 19, 2018

The students later saw Foreman in the hallway, triggering the stormy exchange.

“I’m a Roman Catholic and a conservative Republican. I think what you guys are doing stinks,” Foreman told the group, according to the video. He added that he would call law enforcement if the students ever tried to visit his office again.

[Image: KyhqTH7Mgx0HxtSD?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:

This is how Senator Dan Foreman, Idaho District 5, treats his constituents. We drove 7 hours to meet with him and he threatened to call the police if we entered his office. SPREAD THIS!
6:15 PM - Feb 19, 2018

A Twitter account that appears to be associated with Foreman later tweeted about the incident. One tweet urged the University of Idaho students to “stop harassing me and staff.” Another told them to talk about “killing babies” with Democratic Sen. Maryanne Jordan of Boise.
View image on Twitter
[Image: DWb2bz4V4AAF2t9?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:

Replying to @nicky_skinz

6:29 PM - Feb 19, 2018

[Image: DWcGaWdU8AAg8o5?format=jpg&name=360x360][Image: DWcGbiZU8AAHfIf?format=jpg&name=360x360]

Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/davlinnews/status/965747729723834368]
[Image: S4KdjWPN_normal.jpg]Melissa Davlin@davlinnews
Replying to @davlinnews

It's cool. I took screen shots.
7:39 PM - Feb 19, 2018

Jordan told the AP on Monday that she filed an ethics complaint against Foreman for the inflammatory tweet. 

“It’s one thing to disagree with policy, it’s another thing to position something like that against another lawmaker. This type of behavior is beneath the Idaho Senate,” Jordan said.

The Twitter account, which had the handle @SenDanTheMan, was deleted after the complaint was filed. According to the Statesman, it was briefly reactivated on Monday night with a tweet saying that the account was a “parody” one. The account was later deactivated again, and remained down early Tuesday.

Maybe the students didn't have the right to meet with him?  They are only students after all.  Maybe they were being used as pawns by someone?  I guess we'll have to wait and see.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
This is part of the obstacle in having any kind of rational discussion on abortion. Some religious beliefs hold that birth control isn’t too different than abortion, so some lawmakers think it’s their obligation to stop birth control.

Family planning is probably not a concern for most 60-plus year old millionaires in congress. It’s different for a 30 year old with massive amounts of student loan debt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-20-2018, 02:08 PM)Benton Wrote: This is part of the obstacle in having any kind of rational discussion on abortion. Some religious beliefs hold that birth control isn’t too different than abortion, so some lawmakers think it’s their obligation to stop birth control.

Family planning is probably not a concern for most 60-plus year old millionaires in congress. It’s different for a 30 year old with massive amounts of student loan debt.

And for him to schedule the meeting and then cancel after they made the trek there shows a complete lack of couth. 
Yeah you being Catholic isn't relevant to the discussion. 7 hours to get there? Does Idaho not have any expressways?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-20-2018, 03:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah you being Catholic isn't relevant to the discussion.  7 hours to get there?  Does Idaho not have any expressways?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/University+of+Idaho,+Perimeter+Drive,+Moscow,+ID/Boise,+ID/@45.4544189,-116.7274702,9z/am=t/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x54a02786789997e3:0x8f65411bd98fcd6c!2m2!1d-117.0126084!2d46.7288124!1m5!1m1!1s0x54aef172e947b49d:0x9a5b989b36679d9b!2m2!1d-116.2146068!2d43.6187102

That's the fastest way there.

The seven hours probably includes occasional stops.
(02-20-2018, 03:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/University+of+Idaho,+Perimeter+Drive,+Moscow,+ID/Boise,+ID/@45.4544189,-116.7274702,9z/am=t/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x54a02786789997e3:0x8f65411bd98fcd6c!2m2!1d-117.0126084!2d46.7288124!1m5!1m1!1s0x54aef172e947b49d:0x9a5b989b36679d9b!2m2!1d-116.2146068!2d43.6187102

That's the fastest way there.

The seven hours probably includes occasional stops.

I always forget how big these empty states are. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I think this is a case of 2 wrongs not making a right.

The Congressman should have met with the kids if the meeting was scheduled

The kids should not have left such an inflammatory message
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-20-2018, 07:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The kids should not have left such an inflammatory message

What would you have done?
(02-20-2018, 07:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this is a case of 2 wrongs not making a right.

The Congressman should have met with the kids if the meeting was scheduled

The kids should not have left such an inflammatory message

It may have been a bit sarcastic (snarky), but at that point would have being nice or even begging nicely have changed the elected officials minds/stance?

However that really shouldn't be/isn't the real focus here.  It's about an elected official who scheduled a meeting with constituents and then canceled at the last minute so he wouldn't have do deal with people who disagreed with him.  Changing the focus to how the students then reacted isn't what we should be doing.
(02-20-2018, 07:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What would you have done?

I most likely would have left a note with his administrative assistant if he has one or affixed a note to his door stating that I am sorry we could not meet and then went on with with the numerous other activities/meetings I had planned for the day. 

I'm not one to question the journalist integrity of HUFFPO but it seems to be taking a side here with many of the words they use to classify Foreman's actions. The article also kinds of leads us to think they they drove there solely to see him, but that was not the case.

It appears that they entered his office without consent and left a spiteful message complete with a condom attached. I cannot speak to Foreman's mentality, but I most likely would have not been happy with the kids that entered my office in my absence and left such as message. 

Who knows there's a very good chance this Foreman guy is a huge tool, but that does not excuse the actions of the students. 

(02-20-2018, 08:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: It may have been a bit sarcastic (snarky), but at that point would have being nice or even begging nicely have changed the elected officials minds/stance?

However that really shouldn't be/isn't the real focus here.  It's about an elected official who scheduled a meeting with constituents and then canceled at the last minute so he wouldn't have do deal with people who disagreed with him.  Changing the focus to how the students then reacted isn't what we should be doing.

Do we know why he canceled the meeting or are we just to assume it was for no good reason? 

Also not sure I tried to "change the focus" as I said it appears to be a two wrongs scenario. What would your reaction be if a bunch of college kids entered your office without consent and left such a message? 

(02-20-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we know why he canceled the meeting or are we just to assume it was for no good reason? 

To the best of my knowledge the gentleman has yet to comment. It's so hard for elected officials to get statements out, ya know?

(02-20-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also not sure I tried to "change the focus" as I said it appears to be a two wrongs scenario. What would your reaction be if a bunch of college kids entered your office without consent and left such a message? 

I said it may have been sarcastic (snarky) but given the elected officials reaction to them leaving a lovely note probably accomplishes nothing except it gives people less of a chance of switching topics.
(02-20-2018, 02:08 PM)Benton Wrote: This is part of the obstacle in having any kind of rational discussion on abortion. Some religious beliefs hold that birth control isn’t too different than abortion, so some lawmakers think it’s their obligation to stop birth control.

Well, perhaps the Senator should have been a little more forthcoming.  After all, the Catholic Church does approve of the "rhythm method", as well as abstinence as ways of preventing pregnancy without offending the Church's doctrine.

Edit: But, then again, this is the same Church that says people should only engage in intercourse for the sake of procreation..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-20-2018, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, perhaps the Senator should have been a little more forthcoming.  After all, the Catholic Church does approve of the "rhythm method", as well as abstinence as ways of preventing pregnancy without offending the Church's doctrine.

Edit:  But, then again, this is the same Church that says people should only engage in intercourse for the sake of procreation..

I think I was also always told something about sex being relegated to married men and women of adult age as well.  Catholic Church kind of lost its moral ground in there somewhere.  Just as the rest of these organizations are starting to show lincoln's full head.
(02-20-2018, 09:36 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I think I was also always told something about sex being relegated to married men and women of adult age as well.  Catholic Church kind of lost its moral ground in there somewhere.  Just as the rest of these organizations are starting to show lincoln's full head.

Yeah, I was just thinking back to those "if you must give into temptation" from the Nuns..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-20-2018, 09:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I was just thinking back to those "if you must give into temptation" from the Nuns..

Amen brother.  Find myself genuflecting once ever couple of years for a wedding or fist communion maybe.  Those catholics really squeezed it out of my immigrant grandparents, damn nice churches.  Outside of the architecture though, I'm ok avoiding being preached at by the misses at home.

name of the father, the son, holy shit my shoes untied
(02-20-2018, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, perhaps the Senator should have been a little more forthcoming.  After all, the Catholic Church does approve of the "rhythm method", as well as abstinence as ways of preventing pregnancy without offending the Church's doctrine.

Edit:  But, then again, this is the same Church that says people should only engage in intercourse for the sake of procreation..

Oh jebus...the rhythm method.

The wife and I used to teach marriage classes.  The ones a couple HAD to take before the church would marry them.  WE had to attend a class on the rhythm method.  I had insomnia the night before, we met in the church social hall kitchen where the nice, steady hum of the fridge and the "teacher" who had laryngitis and whispered the entire time put me straight to sleep!  LOL!

The couple we taught ranged from young, first time marriage to second marriages with kids of their own or step-kids.  Needless to say we didn't emphasize their sex lives at all.  We found away to tell them what we had to tell them without prying into what they were REALLY doing.

Anyway...sorry to go off topic in my own thread!  

No they don't.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-20-2018, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we know why he canceled the meeting or are we just to assume it was for no good reason?

He refused to meet with them because they were from planned parenthood.  It is in the story.

That is "no good reason" if you ask me.
(02-20-2018, 09:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears that they entered his office without consent

No it doesn't.