Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If Bengals Pick Late, Trade Down
Players at end of round 1 are not much better than players top of round 2, but they are more expensive to sign. If Bengals are a play-off team and pick in the last 10 or so, trade back for more picks. Trade out of 1 and 2 for top picks in 2 and 3 and try to get extra picks in 3 or 4. So in top of 2, Bengals could add depth at RB with Isaiah Spiller of Texas A&M. Top of 3 a young Blocker coming out 2 years early in Zion Nelson, an offensive lineman from Miami Florida. The money saved on dropping a few spots down goes to sign extra picks attained in trading down. if they could add an extra 3rd round and 4th round trading back a little, they could fill even more areas.

Now some will say why a RB when we have Mixon. Because most NFL teams have a stable of RBs in case of injuries to the top RBs. A Top round 2 RB, well, Paul Brown always said it's hard o pass on a RB. We could still get a good Blocker top of 3. Plus maybe add an extra round 3 and 4, or at worst an extra 4 and 5 in trading back a few spots. It's a sound move financially, and in talent, and in adding extra picks that are not round 6 or 7 but much better in the mid rounds. I would think a few Blockers drafted is still in order.

We have Mixon, Perine, Evans, but a top round 2 RB would really give us a top stable of RBs. Fantasy players can't argue this, because Fantasy players always draft and hoard every single RB in the NFL worth anything. A top pick round 2 RB sets up a top 3 Blocker and another Blocker and other positions if trading down brings a top 2, a top 3 and another 3, and a couple of round 4's. That is how I hope they would work a late round pick in 1 and 2, trade down into the top of 2 and 3 and add extra good picks doing it.

I post this waiting for Rose Bowl game. I'm hoping Bengals win a lot more games this year and have a good play-off run, so I'm really not into the Draft until Senior Bowl, Combines and Draft more in the Spring. I can't see a team drafting late in round 1 and paying round 1 money that way. Trade back into the top of the next round plus an extra draft pick, and get the same type player at top of round 2 and 3 for less than what late round 1 and 2 costs. And Add more Mid Round Picks. More BANG for the Buck.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I’m not opposed to trading back, but you lose the 5th year option if you trade out of the first round. Rookie contracts are slotted now. The days of Ricky Hunley holding out for more money until he is ultimately traded are over.
Reply/Quote
One thing that's clear, they ain't pickin in the top 15 without trading up which i seriously doubt they do unless there's a cant miss player they absolutely have to get. There's a slim shot they do that for OL, but very slim.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With Bengals in AFC Championship, they will be one of last 4 teams in Round One. Why pay Round One money to a pick that late ? Why not trade back into top of Round 2 and get that player for less money, and add a later draft pick in the deal.

Plus making the AFC Championship means Bengals have a good team right now, and need to resign most of this team. The problem in that past was when Bengals went to The Super Bowl, it was hard to keep the team together, because other teams try to steal your Super Bowl Players. Now when Bengals in last place, few teams want Bengals players, but going to AFC Championship will change that.

So Bengals better have money to keep this team together and resign many players. They could save money trading out of the very end of Round One. If I was an owner, I would NOT pay Round One money to somebody drafted at the end. To heck with that and these agents expecting that. I would trade back in Round 2. We got Higgins in Round 2. We got Dalton and Bergey in Round 2. The Bengals need MORE BLOCKING for Burrow. The guy at pick 33 will block just as well as a guy at pick 29 to 32, and at Round 2 money.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:23 AM)kevin Wrote: With Bengals in AFC Championship, they will be one of last 4 teams in Round One.  Why pay Round One money to a pick that late ?  Why not trade back into top of Round 2 and get that player for less money, and add a later draft pick in the deal.

Plus making the AFC Championship means Bengals have a good team right now, and need to resign most of this team.  The problem in that past was when Bengals went to The Super Bowl, it was hard to keep the team together, because other teams try to steal your Super Bowl Players.  Now when Bengals in last place, few teams want Bengals players, but going to AFC Championship will change that.

So Bengals better have money to keep this team together and resign many players. They could save money trading out of the very end of Round One.  If I was an owner, I would NOT pay Round One money to somebody drafted at the end. To heck with that and these agents expecting that.  I would trade back in Round 2.  We got Higgins in Round 2.  We got Dalton and Bergey in Round 2.  The Bengals need MORE BLOCKING for Burrow.  The guy at pick 33 will block just as well as a guy at pick 29 to 32, and at Round 2 money.

The fifth year option is the main reason why you wouldn't move out.  The fact that Higgins hits free agency a year sooner may not be all that good of a deal for us.

The money isn't THAT much different between the end of the round and early round 2 - maybe 500,000-600,00 per year.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 03:55 PM)kevin Wrote: Players at end of round 1 are not much better than players top of round 2, but they are more expensive to sign.  If Bengals are a play-off team and pick in the last 10 or so, trade back for more picks.  Trade out of 1 and 2 for top picks in 2 and 3 and try to get extra picks in 3 or 4.   So in top of 2, Bengals could add depth at RB with Isaiah Spiller of Texas A&M.  Top of 3 a young Blocker coming out 2 years early in Zion Nelson, an offensive lineman from Miami Florida. The money saved on dropping a few spots down goes to sign extra picks attained in trading down.  if they could add an extra 3rd round and 4th round trading back a little, they could fill even more areas.  

Now some will say why a RB when we have Mixon. Because most NFL teams have a stable of RBs in case of injuries to the top RBs.  A Top round 2 RB, well, Paul Brown always said it's hard o pass on a RB. We could still get a good Blocker top of 3.  Plus maybe add an extra round 3 and 4, or at worst an extra 4 and 5 in trading back a few spots.  It's a sound move financially, and in talent, and in adding extra picks that are not round 6 or 7 but much better in the mid rounds. I would think a few Blockers drafted is still in order.

We have Mixon, Perine, Evans, but a top round 2 RB would really give us a top stable of RBs. Fantasy players can't argue this, because Fantasy players always draft and hoard every single RB in the NFL worth anything. A top pick round 2 RB sets up a top 3 Blocker and another Blocker and other positions if trading down brings a top 2, a top 3 and another 3, and a couple of round 4's.  That is how I hope they would work a late round pick in 1 and 2, trade down into the top of 2 and 3 and add extra good picks doing it.

I post this waiting for Rose Bowl game. I'm hoping Bengals win a lot more games this year and have a good play-off run, so I'm really not into the Draft until Senior Bowl, Combines and Draft more in the Spring.  I can't see a team drafting late in round 1 and paying round 1 money that way.  Trade back into the top of the next round plus an extra draft pick, and get the same type player at top of round 2 and 3 for less than what late round 1 and 2 costs. And Add more Mid Round Picks.  More BANG for the Buck.

There is no way in hell I would take a running back in round 2.  Not with the needs of this team.  You can find a very good backup/starting running back almost anywhere in the draft.  This isn't fantasy football.  The game isn't won by running the ball these days, maybe 10-15 years ago when fantasy was just getting started, but now it just doesn't hold true.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 10:23 AM)kevin Wrote: With Bengals in AFC Championship, they will be one of last 4 teams in Round One. Why pay Round One money to a pick that late ? Why not trade back into top of Round 2 and get that player for less money, and add a later draft pick in the deal.

Plus making the AFC Championship means Bengals have a good team right now, and need to resign most of this team. The problem in that past was when Bengals went to The Super Bowl, it was hard to keep the team together, because other teams try to steal your Super Bowl Players. Now when Bengals in last place, few teams want Bengals players, but going to AFC Championship will change that.

So Bengals better have money to keep this team together and resign many players. They could save money trading out of the very end of Round One. If I was an owner, I would NOT pay Round One money to somebody drafted at the end. To heck with that and these agents expecting that. I would trade back in Round 2. We got Higgins in Round 2. We got Dalton and Bergey in Round 2. The Bengals need MORE BLOCKING for Burrow. The guy at pick 33 will block just as well as a guy at pick 29 to 32, and at Round 2 money.

1) NFL free agency as it currently exist didn’t start until 1992.

2) If the player at 33 is just as good as the player at 29 only cheaper, why would the team with the #33 pick trade up if they know what you know?

3) Eric Stokes was drafted #29 and Tyson Campbell was drafted #33 during the 2021 draft. Stokes signed a 4 year $11.9M contract. Campbell signed a 4 year $9M contract. $2.9M/4 years= average annual savings of approximately $725K.

4) $725K is less than the minimum salary for a vested NFL free agent with at least 4 years of service.

If it’s me, I’m not trading away the 5th year option which could save me more money in the long run than the less than $3M trading back to #33 would save me for a late round pick. As well as risk another team trading up to select the player I really want right before me.
Reply/Quote
It depends on who is available and what the offer is. Also do you really want to give up the 5th year option?

For example if the team like the Giants wants a QB they might give us a third to move in front of the Lions to take that QB(and also have that extra year option). Then I would take that deal.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Trade back and take Daxton Hill. This all under the assumption oline was addressed in FA
Reply/Quote
Daniel Faalele is becoming an option.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:37 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Daniel Faalele is becoming an option.

I'm not so sure that I would take Faalele in the 1st round.  I think he's going to be more of a developmental project in the NFL than many want to believe.  Sure, he's enormous and powerful, but his mobility and agility are crap.  His height is going to work against him in pass pro.

If I'm picking for the Bengals, I'm taking the absolute best player available that fits scheme, unless some team really wants to overpay for that slot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that I would take Faalele in the 1st round.  I think he's going to be more of a developmental project in the NFL than many want to believe.  Sure, he's enormous and powerful, but his mobility and agility are crap.  His height is going to work against him in pass pro.

If I'm picking for the Bengals, I'm taking the absolute best player available that fits scheme, unless some team really wants to overpay for that slot.

When looking at offensive linemen right now people need to ask themselves. Can this guy open his hips work horizontally down the line and turn back to the line all in a step and a half?

Daniel Faalele is huge and has a nice spring coming out of his stance moving forward but I don't think we want him working horizontally or climbing to pick up a linebacker or defensive back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:52 AM)Synric Wrote: When looking at offensive linemen right now people need to ask themselves. Can this guy open his hips work horizontally down the line and turn back to the line all in a step and a half?

Daniel Faalele is huge and has a nice spring coming out of his stance moving forward but I don't think we want him working horizontally or climbing to pick up a linebacker or defensive back.

I know you're talking technical skills, so I apologize for not staying on topic but when you said, "people need to ask themselves..." it made me think how we also need to ask, "Can this guy start and contribute immediately on the OL?" I don't think they should draft any projects. They need OL who are ready to protect Burrow and play meaningful snaps during the '22 season.

For those of you more in-the-know about the OL prospects, who are the guys that fit the mold of being able to instantly start in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:59 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I know you're talking technical skills, so I apologize for not staying on topic but when you said, "people need to ask themselves..." it made me think how we also need to ask, "Can this guy start and contribute immediately on the OL?" I don't think they should draft any projects. They need OL who are ready to protect Burrow and play meaningful snaps during the '22 season.

For those of you more in-the-know about the OL prospects, who are the guys that fit the mold of being able to instantly start in the NFL?

They will draft projects. Day 3 is all about project players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:05 PM)Synric Wrote: They will draft projects. Day 3 is all about project players.

Well then, how about picks 1 and 2? 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:52 AM)Synric Wrote: When looking at offensive linemen right now people need to ask themselves. Can this guy open his hips work horizontally down the line and turn back to the line all in a step and a half?

"You have to have physical standards when you build your team. Orlando Brown will hit some size standards, but he's going to miss on most of the other standards you set for a tackle in the league. If he doesn't make sense in the first round because he doesn't fit your standards then how does he make sense in any round for you?" - NFL General Manager

I think Faalele will test better than Orlando Brown, which isn't saying much, but who became a 3 time pro bowler.  I don't have a conclusion yet to just omit Faalele.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:09 PM)Goalpost Wrote: "You have to have physical standards when you build your team. Orlando Brown will hit some size standards, but he's going to miss on most of the other standards you set for a tackle in the league. If he doesn't make sense in the first round because he doesn't fit your standards then how does he make sense in any round for you?" - NFL General Manager

I think Faalele will test better than Orlando Brown, which isn't saying much, but who became a 3 time pro bowler.  I don't have a conclusion yet to just omit Faalele.

I'm not hating on Faalele I just think he's scheme dependent. He could go to the Steelers or Ravens that run a ton more inside zone and gap and become a probowler but doesnt fit with the Bengals and Browns.

Reply/Quote
I'd only take a running back there if he's 6'5 and weighs over 300 pounds.

Mellow

But, seriously, my hope (and it's unlikely) is we trade the pick for a solid lineman on a team in cap crisis. Otherwise, take the best lineman available. We got holes.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-malik-willis-among-3-qbs

Quote:Pick 29 Cincinnati Bengals

SELECTION: Tyler Linderbaum, C
School: Iowa
Year: Junior (RS)

How high do you take a center? That's a good debate in draft rooms. Usually, the top pivot comes off the board in the late teens (SEE: Ryan Kelly and Garrett Bradbury). In this scenario, the Bengals luck out. Linderbaum would fit perfectly in their scheme, teaming up with Joe Burrow for the next decade.

That’s Daniel Jeremiah’s first mock draft. You can look to see who would be left on the board.

If the Jaguars offered you their #33 pick and this year’s fourth round pick would you trade back in this scenario and who would you pick at #33? And what might you do with the extra fourth round pick?
Reply/Quote
Not gonna lie. I can't help but think about Jameson Williams falling into our lap late in the first.

Nobody in the NFL would be happy about the Bengals adding another dynamic weapon to their offense.

He had two kick return TDs this year on minimal attempts. I would imagine he could also return punts. He also played on kick coverage...

Take him as the BPA and call him our special teams ace. And guess who loves shotgun 5 wide?
Reply/Quote