Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If Bengals somehow make the playoffs and go "1 and done"...
Would you still consider this season a "success," based on Burrow's injury, etc?
Reply/Quote
Well I would be quietly wishing we had a top 10 pick. But I would certainly have to tip my hat to all involved as they accomplished far more than I thought they could. I'm optimistic but still a little skeptical if what we saw was a flash in the pan.
Reply/Quote
If we make the playoffs at all with Joe Burrow hurt the majority of the year, I will consider the season a huge success
Reply/Quote
Considering how it started, I'd consider it a success in terms of achievement, but a failure in terms of the team and franchise because we'd be robbing ourselves of a high draft pick to better improve our team.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 08:56 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Would you still consider this season a "success," based on Burrow's injury, etc?

Absolutely a success to make the playoffs after 1 and 3, and 3 and 5, and 5 and 6 start to the season. And with the 2nd hardest schedule in the league upcoming at the time the Bengals were 5 and 6. 

It would be very impressive. And say a lot about the character of the team. It would be really easy to love a team that went out against the obstacles and brought success. Not exactly Mission Impossible odds, but this team was considered out of it right after Burrow went out. 

I personally would be extremely elated for the team to overcome such obstacles and make the playoffs. And I think they would win a lot of fans by the grit of this team and being truly underdogs.

Also, its's my belief that getting into the playoffs, even if not winning a playoff game, would be a great foundation for next year. The team, the fans -- would be tremendously inspired for next year, rather than the mentality of "we folded like a cheap suit when Burrow went out," and "we have no hope without him." Other teams have found success, even Super Bowls, when they lost star players, including star QBs.

I wasn't a NY Giants fan when they decided to go all out to beat the Patriots in a meaningless last game of the season. And they lost. But that propelled them to a Super Bowl and they won a lot of fans in the process of deciding not to just rest their players, but try to beat the unbeaten Patriots. And when they faced them in the Super Bowl, they did just that. I'm still inspired by the character of that team.  

And maybe with the Bengals success  of getting to the playoffs, the front office will go out and sign more free agents for positions the Bengals need, rather than say let's depend on the draft, when so many draft picks end up being disappointments.

But, it's still great odds against the Bengals. ESPN doesn't even list them among contenders for a playoff position. 
Reply/Quote
I used to consider it a success when Marvin led teams made the playoffs. So yea I think I still would.
Reply/Quote
Yes I would... personally I think it hurts the potential of the 2024 Bengals, but for the 2023 Bengals absolutely a success.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
With the youth we're now starting, and if we're able to go 4-1 to finish the season and make the playoffs (5 or 6 seed), then it'll be a huge confidence booster for them.  If we win one, it is just icing on the cake.

I think Jake "the Snake" Browning will continue to develop so don't be surprised if this happens.
Reply/Quote
I’m down to win a Super Bowl. All the other demons are gone. Every year without a Super Bowl is a failure. One and done in the playoffs means nothing as far as I’m concerned. Now obviously I would rather they go deep in the playoffs than not because that means something in a sport where even the best teams have a hard time winning it all, but they have to get that first one.

I am going to post this without reading it again because it feels like I just vomited a bunch of words that don’t make sense. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Winning is tough. Winning 4-5 even versus backup QB’s is not easy even with a healthy Joe Burrow and his weapons wouldn’t been a guarantee. I’ll be very pleased with 3-2. Telling me before the season with Vegas predicting 11 wins and being minus Joe for 6 games and 3 not 100% I’d say hell yes 9-7.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 09:23 PM)lacesout87 Wrote: If we make the playoffs at all with Joe Burrow hurt the majority of the year, I will consider the season a huge success

x2
Reply/Quote
I consider a winning record a success. That means at 9-8 we still had a great season. I'd really like to see us in the playoffs.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 08:56 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Would you still consider this season a "success," based on Burrow's injury, etc?

I call it a draw, we were just soso as team when Burrow got hurt if we make playoffs we actually played better after he got hurt
Reply/Quote

Yep

Honestly i think it’s a success anyway because when Burrow was healthy i think we were clearly a top 10 team
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I honestly didn't think this team had any chance with Burrow missing a big chunk of time. If Zac and Browning can lead this team to the postseason, then yes, it's a success.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It depends:

If you don't like Zac then no

If you like the Bengals then yes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I will consider it a success if the Bengals finish the season with a balanced offensive attack and a good idea of what we have in young and second string players. If we get to the playoffs and then throw the ball 40 times and completely abandon the running game, or our defense reverts into missed assignments, failing to account for opposing TEs, and hitting the QB out of bounds I'm not going to be happy.
Reply/Quote

Absolutely. Remember all the whining about never making the playoffs, or "I just want to win 1 playoff game before I die?" People forget so soon. 
A lot of people will hate it if we make the playoffs, because that pretty much would kill the "Joe Burrow is carrying Zac Taylor" narrative, since we would be making the playoffs with Burrow playing injured or missing the better part of the year. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 09:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Considering how it started, I'd consider it a success in terms of achievement, but a failure in terms of the team and franchise because we'd be robbing ourselves of a high draft pick to better improve our team.

I wish someone would take this train of thought into an alley, cut its throat, and leave it to die beside a stinking dumpster in the cold rain with sirens in the background. It doesn't matter if we lost the remaining games, we're still not picking high. The Bengals are now a perennial playoff team. There's no going back to playing for high draft picks.  
Reply/Quote

Yes
Reply/Quote