Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Burfict's suspension holds up, is the season already in trouble?
I personally think our season is looking grim if the suspension holds up. I know it's only 5 games but we could very well lose all 5 because our defense is absolutely garbage without him in our lineup. What are your thoughts?
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Ravens texans packers browns bills.

I think we will still go 4-1
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 01:20 AM)Trademark Wrote: I personally think our season is looking grim if the suspension holds up. I know it's only 5 games but we could very well lose all 5 because our defense is absolutely garbage without him in our lineup. What are your thoughts?

The Bengals have gone 15-7 in games Burfict has missed and the teams they are playing the first 5 weeks aren't exactly teams that should be hard to deal with. I'd rather see him out there, but the team isn't doomed without him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely!  By all means hit the panic button and sell off all of your assets and move out of the country.  All is lost. There is no hope!  
On the other hand we did get a pretty good rookie who seems to get it so perhaps we'll live to breath another day..
No! No! No! Once your mind is made up there's no reason to feel optimistic about anything ever again. It only leads to disappointment. Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: Absolutely!  By all means hit the panic button and sell off all of your assets and move out of the country.  All is lost. There is no hope!  
On the other hand we did get a pretty good rookie who seems to get it so perhaps we'll live to breath another day..
No! No! No! Once your mind is made up there's no reason to feel optimistic about anything ever again. It only leads to disappointment. Wink

spoken like a true Bengals fan! Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 01:20 AM)Trademark Wrote: I personally think our season is looking grim if the suspension holds up. I know it's only 5 games but we could very well lose all 5 because our defense is absolutely garbage without him in our lineup. What are your thoughts?

YES, Burficts cheap hit on a WR no where near the ball 30 yards downfield was just stupid and Burfict once again hurts Bengals by being suspended.  HOPEFULLY it doesn't RUIN the season, but it sure doesn't help.  Fans wanting his contract renewed but ownership would be wise to question it. If they do resign him they should just mail his pay to NFL Headquarters and eliminate the middle man if he is going to be suspended all the time.  The stupidity of it all is the NFL made the new rules very clear to all teams and yet other teams players were kicked out of games in preseason and near being suspended. How in the heck did Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and Burfict not hear the NFL say the new rules will be enforced ??? It's not rocket science. You do not slam a WR 30 yards away from the play into the ground. A STUPID cheap hit that does hurt the Bengals. I do not blame the NFL. Often Bengals are their own worst enemy in the 26 years or so of no play-off wins. Case in point is Burfict and Pacman who gave Steelers 30 free yards at end of game to go one and done again in play-offs are also now both suspended for season opener with tough division team Baltimore. If any team shoots itself in the foot over and over, it is The Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It certainly doesn't help us thats for sure.

Makes the season much harder, again 9-7 with the hope of a WildCard is my prediction
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 01:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ravens texans packers browns bills.

This.  I wondered if the league even looked at the schedule to try and make sure he missed the pitt game.  Honestly can't believe they missed that.  Goodell, you assbag, your game must be slipping.

If they are able to go 4-1, it would be amazing to add him to that record, but the defense goes right back to being slow in the middle without him, unless Evans somehow starts over Vinny Rey.  Vinny and Minter are far from being speedsters. 

Amazing how this suspension comes out after Burfict makes a WHOA pick 6. 

I hope every NFL executive gets poison ivy on their rectum. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 06:03 AM)kevin Wrote: YES, Burficts cheap hit on a WR no where near the ball 30 yards downfield was just stupid and Burfict once again hurts Bengals by being suspended.  HOPEFULLY it doesn't RUIN the season, but it sure doesn't help.  Fans wanting his contract renewed but ownership would be wise to question it. If they do resign him they should just mail his pay to NFL Headquarters and eliminate the middle man if he is going to be suspended all the time.  The stupidity of it all is the NFL made the new rules very clear to all teams and yet other teams players were kicked out of games in preseason and near being suspended. How in the heck did Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis and Burfict not hear the NFL say the new rules will be enforced ???   It's not rocket science. You do not slam a WR 30 yards away from the play into the ground.  A STUPID cheap hit that does hurt the Bengals.  I do not blame the NFL.  Often Bengals are their own worst enemy in the 26 years or so of no play-off wins. Case in point is Burfict and Pacman who gave Steelers 30 free yards at end of game to go one and done again in play-offs are also now both suspended for season opener with tough division team Baltimore. If any team shoots itself in the foot over and over, it is The Bengals.

This brings up an interesting point:  How much did this cost him in his next contract?  
Reply/Quote
With or without Burfict I can't see us losing any of those games except the Packers game.

Crazier things have happened, though. :giggle:
Reply/Quote
Hell no. With Burfict out of the line up, they've won twice as many as they lost. With the early schedule, I don't see his absence as a big issue.
Reply/Quote
You know Pittsburgh is mad.. They get to see Tez either way :)
Reply/Quote
Is Marv still the HC?
Reply/Quote
I actually don't think he will get 5 games, maybe 3. We will be fine, I know that sounds like Marvin speak, but as others have said our early games are not against the meat and potatoes teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  I wondered if the league even looked at the schedule to try and make sure he missed the pitt game.  Honestly can't believe they missed that.  Goodell, you assbag, your game must be slipping.

If they are able to go 4-1, it would be amazing to add him to that record, but the defense goes right back to being slow in the middle without him, unless Evans somehow starts over Vinny Rey.  Vinny and Minter are far from being speedsters. 

Amazing how this suspension comes out after Burfict makes a WHOA pick 6. 

I hope every NFL executive gets poison ivy on their rectum. 
Pretty spot on!! Vinney is slow, a loaper when he runs. Evans is a faster guy and showed pretty well. So far not all that impressed by Minter. 
Reply/Quote
Is he appealing it? They are giving him the shaft.
Reply/Quote
The question is will it hold up? I have heard more and more today questioning if the hit was even illegal. Some argue that Thrasher hearing the appeal hurts us, but I think a level headed WR is more likely to say it was a legal hit. A former LB like Brooks can look at it and think he how he could have done or not done something.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 01:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ravens texans packers browns bills.

Man I could see us coming out of that anywhere from 1-4 to 4-1. Probably 3-2.
Reply/Quote
It won't sink us, but it sure as hell isn't going to help matters.  You already know V Rey will get the nod.  He's not the most physically gifted guy out there, but without Tez....someone has to call the defense'.  No one else has that experience.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: It won't sink us, but it sure as hell isn't going to help matters.  You already know V Rey will get the nod.  He's not the most physically gifted guy out there, but without Tez....someone has to call the defense'.  No one else has that experience.

Good point. Who replaces him ?  Who has looked good in practices and preseason games ?  Hopefully Bengals planned for this because there was a good chance Pacman could have been suspended longer and Burfict out with suspensions or concussions a lot.  Probably without both against a very tough Baltimore team. Bengals did draft linebackers last couple years. I thought they should have drafted O Line more than they did this year, but here is where drafting young and faster on defense may help.  As for a play caller on D, Minter has been in NFL a few years now.  When teams make their cuts and some due to getting under salary cap, Bengals need to be looking at the linebackers. Bengals have picked up good players in the past after cuts. Bengals in 1981 picked up a secondary veteran by a team going youth movement and that vet helped in Super Bowl year. Well, it's on front office and coaches now, not us as fans. Here is where front office and coaches earn their pay. ....ONE UPSIDE is we have about 2 weeks to get ready for Baltimore.  Get SOMEBODY reps and ready in practice for Baltimore game.  Once short of linebackers Geathers moved from D Line to LB but I forget how well that worked. I think MJ was a LB early in career. Do we have any tweeners of the LB or D Line type ? Maybe not as a starting LB, but what happens now if a LB gets injured and Burfict suspended. Injury depth plays into this. Again Front Office and coaches get paid to do something. As Marines say, Adapt, Adjust.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote