Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
If Burrow is out Zac will be exposed
(11-17-2023, 04:07 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: No, I'm right there with you. I think some of this stuff is brought over from the social media echo chamber parrots. There are some viable critiques, to be sure, but a lot of it is over the top nonsense. 

Your point about the offensive line is the biggest key. They've been working on that for seven damn years. High time they shit or get off the pot.

Healthy burrow makes the bengal passing offense great. We’ve seen it this year. Hobbled Burrow exposes the poor run game.

Everyone can be outraged all they want with the defense and o-line, but if burrow doesn’t hurt his calf in pre season, this team is 7-3, and the only complaints would be the o-line not living up to expectations, and growing pains in the secondary.

But those wouldn’t be so magnified since the bengals would be 7-3

And this is not factoring in the wrist injury

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Healthy burrow makes the bengal passing offense great. We’ve seen it this year. Hobbled Burrow exposes the poor run game.

Everyone can be outraged all they want with the defense and o-line, but if burrow doesn’t hurt his calf in pre season, this team is 7-3, and the only complaints would be the o-line not living up to expectations, and growing pains in the secondary.

I agree Frank..... it's like they don't understand why the team paid this guy 275 million dollars, lol. Of course the offense that is built for him, and to run through him will look a little rough if he's not healthy, or not out there. When he's on, it's fine. He just needs protected better, because he's ALWAYS going to take some sacks trying to extend plays. Especially on 3rd downs.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't think this offense is a complete disaster?

They were a top 5 passing unit last year and have looked pretty good in the games Joe has been healthy. They actually moved the ball pretty well last night but stalled when they got past the 40 yard line for one reason or another (Boyd drop, Burrow sacked). The Ravens punted just as much as the Bengals.

To me, the offensive lapses come down to guys not executing. Whether it's penalties, offensive line issues, or drops. I know that's not as sexy of an answer as "the play calling sucks!", but you need to look at each drive in the context of WHY it failed.

To fix the offense I think its imperitive to FINALLY sure up this offensive line in the off-season and to REALLY take a hard look at the running game - they need more out of it. If you can significantly improve upon those things I think this offense goes to the level that everyone wants it to go to.

So what starting Oline is left from Burrows rookie year ? Williams is it, he is not playing bad at all, we have signed 4 FAs over past 2 years and had 2 drafted in early rounds.. our line is better than 3 years ago so no way i want to start over on the line.. i think start with Pollack and maybe a FA signing and hope to draft better on Oline next year.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow is put on season ending IR then use the rest of the season to get the kids play time and also to fix the fundamental flaws in the defense which are all mental.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So what starting Oline is left from Burrows rookie year ? Williams is it, he is not playing bad at all, we have signed 4 FAs over past 2 years and had 2 drafted in early rounds.. our line is better than 3 years ago so no way i want to start over on the line.. i think start with Pollack and maybe a FA signing and hope to draft better on Oline next year.

You have to take it higher up actually. Brian Callahan has to go also and Zac has to be barred from play calling. Bring in a real NFL caliber offensive coordinator who has a system that fits the players and install it. Joe may love shotgun but his line is suited better for under center with power schemes. His receivers need new schemes on the routes designed to get them a bit of space. The backs have to just hit the hole and not go down on the first contact. The players are here the system does not fit their strengths. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 12:36 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: The first play of the second half of the Super Bowl burrow was under center play actioned and hit Higgins on that “push off touchdown” bengals never ran another play action after that.

Incidental contact.......

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we win some games  without Burrow; does it mean Burrow has been exposed?

How great would the rest of the season have have to be if we have a major QB controversy going into the off season?

Could this be a Brady replacing Bledsoe situation.......... Browning winning the SB, Zac would be a unanimous COY.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How great would the rest of the season have have to be if we have a major QB controversy going into the off season?

Could this be a Brady replacing Bledsoe situation.......... Browning winning the SB, Zac would be a unanimous COY.

Are you comparing Burrow to Bledsoe? Cause Bledsoe couldn’t hold Burrow’s jock strap.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How great would the rest of the season have have to be if we have a major QB controversy going into the off season?

I would love for this to happen. Browning has the confidence, I hope it doesn't get crushed lol
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:30 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Are you comparing Burrow to Bledsoe?  Cause Bledsoe couldn’t hold Burrow’s jock strap.

I was making a joke.  I swear some of you guys need a damn disclaimer....

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Healthy burrow makes the bengal passing offense great. We’ve seen it this year. Hobbled Burrow exposes the poor run game.

It's honestly hard to say we would have beat the Browns and Ravens. They've both had our number recently.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 04:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: You have to take it higher up actually. Brian Callahan has to go also and Zac has to be barred from play calling. Bring in a real NFL caliber offensive coordinator who has a system that fits the players and install it. Joe may love shotgun but his line is suited better for under center with power schemes. His receivers need new schemes on the routes designed to get them a bit of space. The backs have to just hit the hole and not go down on the first contact. The players are here the system does not fit their strengths. 

Hard to judge when Burrow misses so much in preseason and can't finish 2 of 4 yrs but we make 2 runs in 4 yrs.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't think this offense is a complete disaster?

They were a top 5 passing unit last year and have looked pretty good in the games Joe has been healthy. They actually moved the ball pretty well last night but stalled when they got past the 40 yard line for one reason or another (Boyd drop, Burrow sacked). The Ravens punted just as much as the Bengals.

To me, the offensive lapses come down to guys not executing. Whether it's penalties, offensive line issues, or drops. I know that's not as sexy of an answer as "the play calling sucks!", but you need to look at each drive in the context of WHY it failed.

To fix the offense I think its imperitive to FINALLY sure up this offensive line in the off-season and to REALLY take a hard look at the running game - they need more out of it. If you can significantly improve upon those things I think this offense goes to the level that everyone wants it to go to.

Is the offense a total disaster? No certainly not but the problem is we are asking Burrow to do too much. As has been said we essentially have no insurance policy with a backup for Burrow yet we do nothing to limit what we ask of him. That's one thing being 100% but another being hobbled with a bad calf. I just really don't think we can have a consistent running game with Zac calling plays to help Burrow out. 

Seriously look at it. Zac came in 2019 we had a great run game with Mixon 2018. Not only was it terrible but we asked Dalton to throw it 40+ times a game. When the run game finally gets fixed we bench Dalton. 2020 Burrow is drafted terrible oline. No emphasis on the run just ask Burrow to throw 40+ times knee gets shredded. It's been more of the same the past 2 seasons but we have Chase but we just continue to not be consistent with the run. I'm rambling and being incoherent but something has to change.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor’s play calling has been exposed since 2019. It hasn’t improved much.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:55 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Regardless of what you think about Zac, the team aren't exactly set up to thrive without their #1 QB. The defence is ridiculously porous and we have no reliable run game. Certainly can argue 'well that's up the Zac/Duke/etc to make sure we aren't in this spot'. But tbh we could have the best HC and playcaller of all time... we'd probably still struggle with this defence and lack of run game.

Probably a sore point to make right now, but we aren't last year's Ravens. They struggled on offence when Jackson went out last year, but they were in pretty much every game, predominantly due to the defence. We aren't in that same spot.
There are plenty of  teams winning right now with back up quarterbacks and who have less talent than the Bengals do.  This is 100% on Zac Taylor.  We will see what he is without Joe Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
If there were good OC/DC candidates I would fire Zac + Callahan and promote Lou to HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:55 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If there were good OC/DC candidates I would fire Zac + Callahan and promote Lou to HC.

What makes you think Lou will be a good HC?
Reply/Quote

No you are not.  It is a complete disaster considering the talent on that side of the ball
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:30 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Are you comparing Burrow to Bledsoe? Cause Bledsoe couldn’t hold Burrow’s jock strap.
Bledsoe was a 1st overall pick who made it to a SB with a downtrodden franchise and he was replaced by a surprise nobody that wasn't supposed to make it off the bench. Close enough for a facetious comparison.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What makes you think Lou will be a good HC?

He's a good DC, and he seems to be able to scheme his defense to his players strengths. His players like him and he generally has the defense playing disciplined. I'm not sure how good he would be on the offensive side, but if you're able to pair him with an OC who can call plays, I think he could make the team pretty good. I feel like Zac and Callahan are both stubborn with their offensive scheme, but Lou seems to be ok with changing up his scheme by adjusting in the 2nd half. I don't really see the offense doing that very often, and would like to see a HC who has that mentality.
Reply/Quote