Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap’s podcast
(04-20-2019, 02:51 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I saw this on Instagram and can’t seem to post the link.  He is saying de at 11, looking sweat. Take it with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this is possible, but I would think for it to be him the following would have to have been selected prior to #11 AND there were no partners to trade down:

Selected:

Devin White 
Jawaan Taylor
Devin Bush
Ed Oliver
Andre Dillard

So, given that Bosa, Murray, Williams,  and Josh Allen would most likely be gone, the wildcards would be Haskins, Hockenson, and Sweat. 

I will be very surprised if another QB doesn't go before us at #11 and it isn't that I don't think Sweat could be a solid DE, but this team has such a need at OT and LB and there SHOULD be top tier talent available when they pick.  I would be very surprised if they didn't end up with one of the following:

Devin White
Devin Bush
Andre Dillard
Jawaan Taylor
Ed Oliver

Although, per my last "drop the mic" mock, I would be thrilled if they could slide, get Dexter Lawrence, and go OT with Tytus Howard in Rd 2 and then address the LB in Rd 3 and 5.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 09:03 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Well, DE is a big glaring hole on our defense. Lawson will need this year to recover from ACL.

In my opinion, it is the most critical need.

So, Gary or Sweat.

They also have Hubbard and Willis for RDE, outside of Lawson.  

They have next to nothing at LB or depth beyond the starting OT/OT prospect for the future.  

I would be VERY disappointed in DE, especially one that has health, attitude, and potentially emotional issues.  Hard pass.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 03:36 PM)fullonbehavior Wrote: To me the problem isn't with our pass rushers.  It's difficult to get home when all the QB needs to do is dump it off to a wide open TE or RB.  a good linebacker group will improve our sack stats immensely.

This, and the fact that (hopefully) that panty-waste zone scheme left with Austin.  Pathetic crap game in and game out.  It was like watching someone bleed out from a small wound.   Slowly, but surely, the opposition would just take the low-risk checkdowns and keep moving the chains.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 07:10 PM)McC Wrote: Then you were clearly not paying attention last year.

Evans was not a rookie last year.  He just played like one.  And Vigil, if he improves, might work his way all the way up to mediocre.  Jefferson?  He couldn't beat out Nickerson and that says it all.

In a nutshell, our LB's SUKKKKK.   But hey, let's draft a DE or TE.  That'll fix it.  And then we can have this same conversation again a year from now.

WTF...

I cannot believe people have forgotten last year already.

So much wrong here, dude.  

Vigil was our leading tackler before injury and was playing very well.  Vigil wasn't beat out by Nickerson, he was injured.  No, neither he or Brown were the same player after injury.  A large part of what is being neglected in your assessment of the LBs is the scheme Austin was playing.  It left them and the secondary covering checkdowns and crossing routes for what seemed like an eternity.  Once Austin was jettisoned, the defense took a step toward at least being remotely competitive.  

You were supposed to have Burfict, Brown, and Vigil as starters with Evans, Rey, and Jefferson backing up.  Within a couple weeks, you were devoid of all three starters.  Combined with the pathetic zone, it was a recipe for disaster.  

If the Bengals can get one of the Devin's and pair him with Vigil on nickel and have Brown at MLB in base, the unit would be solid, but the unit only sucked as bad as you said last year due to injury, scheme, and lack of pressure with the existing front four.  
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 11:34 PM)samhain Wrote: I think we need a DT more than a DE.  I'd rather have a guy like Wilkins or Gary than Sweat.  After Geno, there isn't much at DT.  Billings improved, but there's nothing behind either starter, and Glasgow is coming off of a fairly serious injury.

Agreed.  And the talent like Dexter Lawrence is rare.  I would love to trade back and grab him, then get the OT in Rd 2 (Howard) and there are a number of LBs that could improve our squad in Rd 2-3.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 08:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So much wrong here, dude.  

Vigil was our leading tackler before injury and was playing very well.  Vigil wasn't beat out by Nickerson, he was injured.  No, neither he or Brown were the same player after injury.  A large part of what is being neglected in your assessment of the LBs is the scheme Austin was playing.  It left them and the secondary covering checkdowns and crossing routes for what seemed like an eternity.  Once Austin was jettisoned, the defense took a step toward at least being remotely competitive.  

You were supposed to have Burfict, Brown, and Vigil as starters with Evans, Rey, and Jefferson backing up.  Within a couple weeks, you were devoid of all three starters.  Combined with the pathetic zone, it was a recipe for disaster.  

If the Bengals can get one of the Devin's and pair him with Vigil on nickel and have Brown at MLB in base, the unit would be solid, but the unit only sucked as bad as you said last year due to injury, scheme, and lack of pressure with the existing front four.  

Not to mention the Linebacker coach. Dude was terrible since he got here, terrible.

Linebackers have been out of position for 3 years...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2019, 08:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So much wrong here, dude.  

I never said Vigil was beat out by Nickerson, dude  Go read it again.  I said Jefferson was.  But I do stand by Vigil being no more than mediocre.  If he's your third best LB, you might be okay.  But that is his absolute ceiling.  Personally, I think he's pretty bad.  Not NIckerson bad, but not very good.  What does he do well?  I would love to see him upgraded.  Then you might have good LB's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2019, 02:00 PM)McC Wrote: I never said Vigil was beat out by Nickerson, dude  Go read it again.  I said Jefferson was.  But I do stand by Vigil being no more than mediocre.  If he's your third best LB, you might be okay.  But that is his absolute ceiling.  Personally, I think he's pretty bad.  Not NIckerson bad, but not very good.  What does he do well?  I would love to see him upgraded.  Then you might have good LB's.

I apologize, my bad.  

I disagree about Vigil, though, and think he is pretty good when there is an ounce of talent around him.  I would like to see a burner at MLB and WILL, and I hope we leave the draft with a Devin and Gary Long, Jr.  
Reply/Quote