Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If I were in charge of the Bengals today
I think my first order of business would have been to call Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan and Frank Pollack in for all day meetings,

For Pollack I would literally challenge him to explain why he should be retained on staff given the line performance. I'm not going in pre-decided to can him but if the answers are not good ones he's gone right then and there. After that it would be a review of all prospective Free Agents to start the process of identifying targets NOT BASED ON MONEY but based on who they believe will best fit the system and do it well.

For Taylor I would blast him good over doing absolutely nothing to defang the pass rush. One screen? No rollouts? No RPO concepts? Then he gets his extension but also gets removed from play calling and the job search starts for a REAL offensive coordinator.

Then I personally call Burrow and tell him not to worry - the blocking was unacceptable and no matter what it takes the line is getting fixed.

That's Day One.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Glad you're not in charge then..... Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Glad you're not in charge then..... Wink

Why? Do you EVER want a championship? The ONLY way to get there is to lower the boom and not settle for crap. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Glad you're not in charge then..... Wink

Agreed. Things like that crush the culture.

The loss sucks. You hope they learn from it and come back with fire. 

When Reiff got hurt...the line was in trouble. Pollack can only do so much. The Rams have 2 hall of famers in their prime and their coaches knew how to exploit it.

As I type this a Rams Disney commercial comes on. Sucks.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Why? Do you EVER want a championship? The ONLY way to get there is to lower the boom and not settle for crap. 

Right. We just played in the Super Bowl and you want to lower the boom. Got it. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. Things like that crush the culture.

The loss sucks. You hope they learn from it and come back with fire. 

When Reiff got hurt...the line was in trouble. Pollack can only do so much. The Rams have 2 hall of famers in their prime and their coaches knew how to exploit it.

As I type this a Rams Disney commercial comes on. Sucks.

How does it crush the culture to make it clear the line performance is unacceptable? Remember I LIKE Pollack. But he has explaining to do when the blocking is THIS bad. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Why? Do you EVER want a championship? The ONLY way to get there is to lower the boom and not settle for crap. 

Yelling at people is seldom a good management tactic. It kills trust.

Plus, Bengals management drafted Carman and didn't sign a veteran Guard like Zeitler or Turner. Only so much a coach can do.

Maybe different playcalls help? I don't know. It's over. Can't go back now.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: How does it crush the culture to make it clear the line performance is unacceptable? Remember I LIKE Pollack. But he has explaining to do when the blocking is THIS bad. 

You think they don't know it's unacceptable?

Prince and Adeniji aren't nfl caliber starters. You can yell at them and the coaches all you want...it won't make them better.

Put Reiff in there and maybe it's a different story.
Reply/Quote
Tell me you know nothing about leadership without saying "I know nothing about leadership."
Reply/Quote
Are we allowed to name call here? You’re an idiot, so you finally have a team that players have been outspoken about wanting to come here, and you have a team that wasn’t supposed to be over .500 make it to the SB, and you wanna call in your coaches and put them in blast! What an idiotic thing to do. Pollack isn’t god, he can only work with what he has!!
Reply/Quote
My motivation for playing Powerball is to win enough money to buy a team so I can pay coaches millions of dollars, give them 6th Round picks and undrafted players on the offensive line...then when they play against a HOF defensive line and give up sacks...I tell them that it's unacceptable.

Leadership book to follow!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think my first order of business would have been to call Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan and Frank Pollack in for all day meetings,

For Pollack I would literally challenge him to explain why he should be retained on staff given the line performance. I'm not going in pre-decided to can him but if the answers are not good ones he's gone right then and there. After that it would be a review of all prospective Free Agents to start the process of identifying targets NOT BASED ON MONEY but based on who they believe will best fit the system and do it well.

For Taylor I would blast him good over doing absolutely nothing to defang the pass rush. One screen? No rollouts? No RPO concepts? Then he gets his extension but also gets removed from play calling and the job search starts for a REAL offensive coordinator.

Then I personally call Burrow and tell him not to worry - the blocking was unacceptable and no matter what it takes the line is getting fixed.

That's Day One.

The last person I’d want in charge of this team is you. So, I agree with everyone else and I’m glad you’re not in charge.

Also, I’d think Burrow would be slightly worried if you were in charge - you were already saying he wasn’t the guy last night. I’m sure he plans on playing in the league for a little while longer than you’re willing to give him.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think my first order of business would have been to call Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan and Frank Pollack in for all day meetings,

That's Day One.

If I was Pollack I would respond with, why did MB force us to draft a an OT with a bad back to play a totally new position with better players on the board.

If I was Pollack I would continue with why did you you think an aging OT like Reiff was the answer?  I would ask where the olinemen from the last 5-7 year drafts that should be our vets today?  I would ask why are you paying WR3 $10M for 4 catches per game while being pissed that 2 guys on minimum wage are not protecting Burrow from multiple All Pros & Hall of Famers?

If I was Taylor I would ask why you think Callahan isnt a real O Coord that couldnt call the plays? Why do you not know teams are interviewing him for head coach?  And if I let him call the plays next year and he leaves, what then?  We do this as a team and even if he leaves I still have continuity with Burrow.

If I was Taylor I would also ask why you think I should sign any contract extension after taking the worst team in the NFL to the SB in only my 3rd year despite an organization that doesnt provide a scouting department, forces us to draft inadequate players, doesnt provide practice facilities, and decides to chew my ass after I literally kicked the shit out of the Rams and would be holding a SB trophy were it not for the incompetence in drafting and FA signings of this pathetic oline?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If I was Pollack I would respond with, why did MB force us to draft a an OT with a bad back to play a totally new position with better players on the board.

If I was Pollack I would continue with why did you you think an aging OT like Reiff was the answer?  I would ask where the olinemen from the last 5-7 year drafts that should be our vets today?  I would ask why are you paying WR3 $10M for 4 catches per game while being pissed that 2 guys on minimum wage are not protecting Burrow from multiple All Pros & Hall of Famers?

If I was Taylor I would ask why you think Callahan isnt a real O Coord that couldnt call the plays? Why do you not know teams are interviewing him for head coach?  And if I let him call the plays next year and he leaves, what then?  We do this as a team and even if he leaves I still have continuity with Burrow.

If I was Taylor I would also ask why you think I should sign any contract extension after taking the worst team in the NFL to the SB in only my 3rd year despite an organization that doesnt provide a scouting department, forces us to draft inadequate players, doesnt provide practice facilities, and decides to chew my ass after I literally kicked the shit out of the Rams and would be holding a SB trophy were it not for the incompetence in drafting and FA signings of this pathetic oline?

Don't forget that Pollack left here once for the Jets. He knew the situation. The Jets situation was likely worse.
Reply/Quote
I'd give them a few well deserved days off and then set up things for next Monday and ask what we could do as a collective to improve from the 2nd best team in the NFL to becoming the 1st best.

Then I'd swing by Elizabeth Blackburn's office and ask if she wants to see my "O face".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yelling at Pollack is like firing a chef after you shit on a plate and ask him to make you a steak.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
As punishment, I'd make them read the GameDay thread...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:19 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Are we allowed to name call here? You’re an idiot.

You’re not. I know this primarily because of this exact poster, and this exact word.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:17 PM)MickMack Wrote: Tell me you know nothing about leadership without saying "I know nothing about leadership."

I would be a bad leader because I couldn't yell at anyone. The only thing I could do is ask Zac "What do you need from me in order to make this work? Have you and your staff give me an honest evaluation of each starter and backup and we will work from the bottom up of what we can keep or get rid of. Then we can address needs after the cuts, starting with the o-line. Give me your thoughts on free agents you are considering, cap space being secondary. No more glaring mistakes this next time around, okay?"

Yeah, sorry. I'm bad at this.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 09:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: That's Day One.

Please tell us what you’d do on day two.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote