Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron
This is assuming we want to win games

And i don’t think the front office wants to win either

If they were being honest they probably think this is a great excuse to get a top 10 pick. Could even be around 6-10 if we don’t win anymore games

A draft position like that, with how we’ve drafted lately could propel us to a Super Bowl
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 11:56 PM)pally Wrote: what makes you think that AJ McCarron, at this point, is actually better than Jake?  It is not like he was ever a starting-caliber QB and he hasn't played against NFL level talent in 3 years

Experience. He can manage games. Did it before and is probably better at it now. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I find it funny that some of you people don't think it's over.

Nothing's Over!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow is both a blessing and a curse.

When he's playing = blessing

When he's not = this team just can't win whichever way possible.

kinda like in AZ, it rains and it's like nobody knows how to drive and car crashes go up 1000%.
Reply/Quote
Would agree, except for the fact both are not getting the Bengals to the playoffs. At best, one guy is playing to be a number 2 or 3 next year( maybe not here ) and the other will be playing for one of the other professional football leagues. Burrow will start next year his backup will likely be one of the weaker backups in the league.

I'd rather see what we have a the other positions. WR: who wants to be a #3 or #4 with a potential upside?
Which O-lineman won't be a security guard a Best Buy next year?
TE: Who are any of you really? Diamond in the rough or a piece of poop that has glitter that shines every once in awhile?
Is there a border collie who can play better than Nick Scott.
Mixon will be gone. Can ANYONE else touch the football? Jake Browning has the 4th amount of rushing attempts!!!
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think McCarron will ever be the future backup QB. I think it is a smarter move to keep giving Browning the
starting reps and see if he improves. There were some good things from Browning against Pitt and even B-more.

Browning needs to start seeing the field better and where his receivers are going to be before they are there.

If he can start to do this he may end up being a decent backup QB, which is what we need more than a short term
stop gap in AJ McCarron.

I am more interested in seeing more of our young players, Iosivas, Chuck Sizzle, Murphy and namely Chase Brown.
Reply/Quote
McCarron is like that girl or guy you liked in H.S. and then see them at your 10 year reunion and think wow i wish you were still that person i liked in H.S. but of course they are not
Reply/Quote
I approve of McCarron for the following 2 reasons:

1. His wife is SUPER HOT.
2. He got us an unofficial "win" since the 90s, in the playoffs vs the squeelers if it weren't for other disgraceful players. He can do it.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that they should stick with Browning, unless he gets injured or completely loses confidence.  Why?  Not for "tanking" purposes, but for developmental reasons.  If Browning is the guy they want backing up Burrow going forward, then he needs to become comfortable and efficient in running the offense, just as the rest of the starting offense needs to become accustomed to him leading the way.

Me 2

Hopefully if nothing else it will become obvious to those that matter that Browning is not backup QB material at the NFL level. And part of our offseason plan will be to acquire a decent backup.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 11:43 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, Browning made several mistakes but only one was capitalized on. If you look at PFF's stat called "Turnover Worthy Plays", 9.1% of his attempts in that game registered as a turnover worthy play. That would lead the league by a sizable margin. 

I don't bring up luck very often, but Browning was very fortunate on a couple of those plays. That tip to Chase was about as fortunate as you can be. 

Regarding tipped passes that were caught... There were TWO that were caught. LOL. It was just wild that Chase happened to have the athleticism to stop on a dime and grab them in traffic. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 09:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me 2

Hopefully if nothing else it will become obvious to those that matter that Browning is not backup QB material at the NFL level. And part of our offseason plan will be to acquire a decent backup.

That's a thought, for sure.  However, with how the Bengals gave Joe the max deal, and how the rest of the team also eats a lot of cap, Jake just might be that cheap option that they chose to develop.  Not sure how they could afford to keep a former starter on the roster without sacrificing talent at other positions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, Browning's best plays were the tipped passes so he's had more mistakes turn out for the best than the other way around.

guess the tipped passes is jus ta bengals curse and not a burrow thing
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 05:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nothing's Over!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? 
Forget it he's rolling...
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 09:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Regarding tipped passes that were caught... There were TWO that were caught. LOL. It was just wild that Chase happened to have the athleticism to stop on a dime and grab them in traffic. 

And THAT is one of the reasons that JC will be given a max contract and Tee will be offered only fair market value.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Might get your wish with Browning listed in the injury report with a right wrist injury. JB QB’s on the Bengals are having similar injuries. Common down Jacoby Brissett.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I find it funny that some of you people don't think it's over.

I think most of us believe it's likely over.  There will be a small contingent that will cling to hope so long as we're not mathematically eliminated.  I wouldn't chastise anyone for hoping a miracle might occur, though.  I just hope whatever the final record they make a good showing in the games they have left.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 10:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And THAT is one of the reasons that JC will be given a max contract and Tee will be offered only fair market value.

That guy is such a unique player. LOVE HIM!
Reply/Quote
I don't see Browning as the long term solution at backup, especially for Burrow, who is starting to look injury prone. He was likely practice squad fodder if not for Siemien being terrible.

I'd start Macaroni. At least he's done something in the NFL.

Then next year maybe they should rethink this "backups don't matter" philosophy they've had since Jon Kitna went to the Lions.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that they should stick with Browning, unless he gets injured or completely loses confidence.  Why?  Not for "tanking" purposes, but for developmental reasons.  If Browning is the guy they want backing up Burrow going forward, then he needs to become comfortable and efficient in running the offense, just as the rest of the starting offense needs to become accustomed to him leading the way.

This.  They have to find out if Browning is the long term solution.  AJ Mac is not and is there for emergency only.

One game in and people are already dissing on Browning.  Unbelievable.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 09:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a thought, for sure.  However, with how the Bengals gave Joe the max deal, and how the rest of the team also eats a lot of cap, Jake just might be that cheap option that they chose to develop.  Not sure how they could afford to keep a former starter on the roster without sacrificing talent at other positions.

Oh I get it they're not going to go after a higher dollar vet type. However, Browning is older than Burrow and his ceiling/potential just isn't very good. Get a later round younger rookie with more potential.
Reply/Quote