Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron
(12-02-2023, 12:08 AM)PDub80 Wrote: That guy is such a unique player. LOVE HIM!

Yes, Ja'Marr Chase is awesome. Cool
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 05:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd start Macaroni. At least he's done something in the NFL.

Thank you. I think AJ gives the Bengals a better chance to win more games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 10:53 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: This.  They have to find out if Browning is the long term solution.  AJ Mac is not and is there for emergency only.

One game in and people are already dissing on Browning.  Unbelievable.  

I'm not, "dissing," him, but this will completely be another Driskell Sitch, where the guy puts up decent numbers, keeps games close, but will only win one or two of the remaining games (he's already lost 1).

Unless he catches fire and becomes an unstoppable QB somehow, I don't think he stays after this year.

Should've kept Brandon Allen.

(12-02-2023, 11:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I get it they're not going to go after a higher dollar vet type. However, Browning is older than Burrow and his ceiling/potential just isn't very good. Get a later round younger rookie with more potential.

Hit the nail on the head.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 10:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s time to think about the six remaining games the Bengals face. Yes, I understand there are those among us who wish the team to tank, finish 5-12, and get some nice draft picks along with an easier schedule next season. I have some strong disagreement with this strategy. Believe me, the Bengals too many issues to simply be addressed in the draft. Also, if the team tanks then Cincinnati becomes a less attractive landing spot for free agents.

The zillion pound elephant in the room is the unassailable fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire without a healthy Joe Burrow behind center. While I want Jake Browning to succeed it’s not going to happen. The supporting cast around him is far too weak. This goes for the defense too; Lou Anarumo has been outsmarted by almost every offensive coordinator the Bengals have faced this season with the baffling exception of those in the NFC West.

Zac Taylor has a far better postseason record than any other Bengals’ coach but I posit to one and all that Marvin Lewis had better overall teams.* There was never the pressure on Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton to carry the entire team like there is on Joe Burrow — which is completely unfair to him. Carson and Andy never had to play like superstars for the Bengals to win. Unfortunately Joe does.

With this said I hope Zac reverses his rectocranial inversion and starts AJ McCarron if Jake Browning lays another egg in the game against Jacksonville. Cleveland is starting Joe Flacco this week and I reluctantly give Kevin Stefanski credit for playing a veteran — even one like Flacco who is almost eligible for Medicare. AJ McCarron has SOME NFL experience — not nearly as much as Flacco — but in my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance to win than Jake. He’s been there and the game isn’t too big for him.

*No, I don’t want Marvin back. His ship has sailed.
I’ll take Browning over AJ McCarron any day.Although,I’m not really saying Browning is an NFL starting quarterback either.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 05:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't see Browning as the long term solution at backup, especially for Burrow, who is starting to look injury prone. He was likely practice squad fodder if not for Siemien being terrible.

I'd start Macaroni. At least he's done something in the NFL.

Then next year maybe they should rethink this "backups don't matter" philosophy they've had since Jon Kitna went to the Lions.

Amen! Browning is hot garbage. The back-up QB situation should have already been addressed via the draft. Talent on the cheap. You develop him via NE. if Burrow keeps balling, you trade him and do it again. The Jimmy G deal worked out well for NE until they squandered the picks by choosing poorly.

Balt jumped all over Jackson knowing that he was probably 2-3 years away from contributing.  
Reply/Quote
If the offensive play calling is called to suit Browning's current skill level it would help substantially. It looks like JT made zero adjustments to losing JB and that makes absolutely zero sense. I would give him at least 2 more starts and try to call a half way decent game before benching.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 04:35 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Experience. He can manage games. Did it before and is probably better at it now. 

That is true but JT hates run plays and that is not how you manage a game. 
Reply/Quote
Browning was not good to be blunt. He missed a LOT of reads for easy completions including two (Yoshi and Boyd) that were TDs if he notices. Only one of his sacks was on someone other than him - the line gave him a ton of time and he just stood back there. I'd think that most any other backup would at least see the wide open receivers and throw at them.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 11:56 PM)pally Wrote: what makes you think that AJ McCarron, at this point, is actually better than Jake?  It is not like he was ever a starting-caliber QB and he hasn't played against NFL level talent in 3 years

Excuse me?   The XFL has plenty of NFL-level talent (there are only so-many roster spots in the NFL)

St. Louis BattleHawks[edit]

On November 15, 2022, McCarron was drafted by the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL.[88][89] He would later sign a contract with the team, worth between $60,000 to $200,000 a season.[90] McCarron quickly became a breakout star for the Battlehawks after two consecutive comeback victories in the first two weeks of the 2023 season. In a postgame interview, McCarron stated he chose to play in the XFL rather than take a more lucrative position as an NFL backup in order to give himself more on-camera playing time so his children could watch him play, which prompted XFL co-owner Dwayne Johnson to praise McCarron for his choice.[91][92]
In his final game of the 2023 regular season, McCarron went 28-of-35 on the day, throwing for 420 yards and six touchdowns — the yardage and touchdowns the most in a single game by an XFL passer in league history.[93] He also set a league record for single-season touchdown passes with 24 that year.[94][95] He was named 2023 league MVP by one of the few news outlets dedicated to sole coverage of the league, XFL News Hub.[96]
Following the season, McCarron indicated that he was open to opportunities to return to the NFL, saying, "I'm not done playing."[97]
Reply/Quote
Looking like McCarron should order himself a seat cushion for his spot on the bench, as it looks like he'll be there a while..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. With all due respect to the OP this was a silly thread to begin with. Anybody that cared to look into Browning and listen to those who have actually analyzed him (like Jordan Palmer) would realize he has all the tools of an NFL QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2023, 03:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: Browning was not good to be blunt. He missed a LOT of reads for easy completions including two (Yoshi and Boyd) that were TDs if he notices. Only one of his sacks was on someone other than him - the line gave him a ton of time and he just stood back there. I'd think that most any other backup would at least see the wide open receivers and throw at them.

really? He looked pretty solid to me..
Reply/Quote
Yeah, this thread didn't age well.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, this thread didn't age well.

…and I’m extremely happy it didn’t!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: …and I’m extremely happy it didn’t!

Good on you FIK lol
Reply/Quote
A lot of very poor takes in this thread...
Reply/Quote
If you weren't going out on a ledge for Browning a week or 2 ago (few were), I wouldn't puff your chest out now.

This thread might be totally relevant again next week. Who knows? Browning has earned more time, though, for sure.

I'm a Bengals fan, so I hope Browning goes undefeated for the rest of the season and takes Joe Burrow's job.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 05:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you weren't going out on a ledge for Browning a week or 2 ago (few were), I wouldn't puff your chest out now.

This thread might be totally relevant again next week. Who knows? Browning has earned more time, though, for sure.

I'm a Bengals fan, so I hope Browning goes undefeated for the rest of the season and takes Joe Burrow's job.

Imagine the scenes...

I think Browning should get the rest of the season. Not because I think he'll play like MNF every week. Give him a shot, not a lot of point in my opinion giving AJ a start if things falter... might find giving Browning these games helps us out in future seasons if Burrow gets hurt.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:01 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Imagine the scenes...

I think Browning should get the rest of the season. Not because I think he'll play like MNF every week. Give him a shot, not a lot of point in my opinion giving AJ a start if things falter... might find giving Browning these games helps us out in future seasons if Burrow gets hurt.

I agree, but it depends a lot on how Browning plays. I don't expect him to win offensive player of the week all the time, but if he comes out for 2 straight weeks going something like 10 of 27 for 70 yards, would we really want to rely on him as the future at backup?

I don't think that will happen. I'm just saying the situation is fluid. Browning was supposed to be a 3rd string practice squad afterthought this season.

So outside of his actual play, he hasn't really earned any benefit of the doubt regarding the future.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree, but it depends a lot on how Browning plays. I don't expect him to win offensive player of the week all the time, but if he comes out for 2 straight weeks going something like 10 of 27 for 70 yards, would we really want to rely on him as the future at backup?

I don't think that will happen. I'm just saying the situation is fluid. Browning was supposed to be a 3rd string practice squad afterthought this season.

So outside of his actual play, he hasn't really earned any benefit of the doubt regarding the future.

Oh yeah I agree, but I think giving him these remaining 5 games will let us evaluate that. I think we largely already know what McCarron is, he's had time in the league, but Browning we don't know the full picture about yet. If he sees out the season, he'll have had 7 starts and that should really be enough to know whether the's a backup for the foreseeable. I think give him the games without too much fear of getting benched, to properly see what he's got. If it turns out MNF was a real outlier and he sucks, then to me it just suggests we need to try again on the backup, rather than be looking much into McCarron. 
Reply/Quote