Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If Marijuana Was To Become Legal
(09-12-2017, 04:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've honestly never understood how tabacoo and alcohol are legal, yet marijuana isn't. I mean, I know the reasons, it just doesn't really make sense to me how the former are legal (with some restrictions - i.e. age) and yet the latter isn't.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-did-marijuana-become-illegal-first-place

No idea if it's correct, but I came across this looking for something else and thought it was interesting. To sum it up, the guy claims that marijuana was made illegal as a way to discourage Mexicans from coming here a century ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-12-2017, 05:00 PM)Benton Wrote: http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/how-did-marijuana-become-illegal-first-place

No idea if it's correct, but I came across this looking for something else and thought it was interesting. To sum it up, the guy claims that marijuana was made illegal as a way to discourage Mexicans from coming here a century ago.

I had read a research paper blaming DuPont Chemical for Marijuana being made illegal to sell nylon rope since hemp rope was better than nylon rope.
(09-12-2017, 05:42 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I had read a research paper blaming DuPont Chemical for Marijuana being made illegal to sell nylon rope since hemp rope was better than nylon rope.

I would say that is the reason why the species is banned outright rather than exceptions being in place for hemp. That being said, it would not surprise me if the reason the more THC laden variety was banned based upon lobbying by some corporation.
(09-12-2017, 04:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've honestly never understood how tabacoo and alcohol are legal, yet marijuana isn't. I mean, I know the reasons, it just doesn't really make sense to me how the former are legal (with some restrictions - i.e. age) and yet the latter isn't.

Because they thought it couldn't be taxed and there was also more money in keeping it illegal because it was a way to inflate law enforcement budgets.

Also, pharmaceutical companies make a lot of money off providing drugs that marijuana has the same or better effect as.

Alcohol would also take a big hit if weed were to be legal.