Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson Are Retained...
...there’s a roundabout way to make it work and it depends on who becomes the defensive coordinator of the Bengals in 2019.

First of all, let’s give props to Marvin Lewis for taking over as defensive coordinator and doing a better job than Teryl Austin. Granted, this is a very low bar, but the Cincinnati defense did get better under Marvin’s tutelage.

Now I can’t see Marvin splitting head coach and defensive coordinator duties any longer. That’s not a long term solution so I believe whoever becomes defensive coordinator will set a new tone. This will require a mean “male offspring of a canine with an XX genotype” personality. If Minnesota fires Mike Zimmer, Cincinnati better sign him in about two femtoseconds because when he was the Bengals’ defensive coordinator, the entire team had confidence and swagger.

If Mike Zimmer is retained in Minnesota, the Bengals should seek out Jack Del Rio. He’s of the same mindset as Mike Zimmer with respect to defense.

So, we may have to settle for keeping Marvin Lewis as head coach, allowing Hue Jackson to reprise his role as offensive coordinator which is something he did very well in 2015, and bringing in a mean defensive coordinator who pisses sulfuric acid and poops napalm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I'm really not ready to have to face the "Marvin is staying, now what?" options..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm really not ready to have to face the "Marvin is staying, now what?" options..

I’ve already accepted the inevitable. I just hope Stephen A. Smith doesn’t have a stroke on camera when Marvin’s next extension is announced.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:00 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: No.

You have no idea how much I want you to be right and for me to be wrong.
Reply/Quote
2019 is
HC - Marvin
OC - Hue
DC - Vance Joseph

until otherwise specified.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve already accepted the inevitable.  I just hope Stephen A. Smith doesn’t have a stroke on camera when Marvin’s next extension is announced.

If he did, it would be some salve on the open wound that is Marvin.  At least some good would come from it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 2019 is
HC - Marvin
OC - Hue
DC - Vance Joseph

until otherwise specified.

That’s an upgrade in two areas. Hue Jackson was the last good offensive coordinator Cincinnati had and a broken inanimate scarecrow in a cornfield off Interstate 71 would be a better defensive coordinator than Teryl Austin.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:09 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s an upgrade in two areas.  Hue Jackson was the last good offensive coordinator Cincinnati had and a broken inanimate scarecrow in a cornfield off Interstate 71 would be a better defensive coordinator than Teryl Austin.

Two big reasons Mike Brown would do this....

#1 he doesn't have to hire new people
#2 it's an upgrade, so we all have to shut up about it
Reply/Quote
They're all sitting in a room at PBS right now, trying to figure out exactly which combination of boobs would piss off fans the most in their long range quest to leave Cincinnati. And lots of giggling.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:12 AM)McC Wrote: They're all sitting in a room at PBS right now, trying to figure out exactly which combination of boobs would piss off fans the most in their long range quest to leave Cincinnati.  And lots of giggling.

LA and Las Vegas are off the table...are they dying to go to San Antonio or something?
Reply/Quote
Side note, I have the Steelers talk shows on now and they're talking about how Tomlin only has 3 playoff wins in 8 years, but the argument to keep him is that the Steelers stuck with Cowher even though he went 3 years in a row without making the playoffs.

Geez, they've got it too good in those parts.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: LA and Las Vegas are off the table...are they dying to go to San Antonio or something?

Well, Mike does relate to the Alamo.  Reminds him of the Bengals playing the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:20 AM)McC Wrote: Well, Mike does relate to the Alamo.  Reminds him of the Bengals playing the Steelers.

Well, it's doubtful Mike Brown is cool enough to think of Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he thinks of the Alamo.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. Marvin needs to be gone NOW. ZERO playoff wins and now he can’t even get his team to the playoffs.

We need a change of pace and honest to God if we go 4-12 or worse under a new coach so be it at least they tried to make a change.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, it's doubtful Mike Brown is cool enough to think of Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he thinks of the Alamo.

They have plenty of mansions in SA for Mike and all his unqualified friends and relatives.  And SA will be so happy just to have a team that no one will be asking those pesky questions about winning for several years.

Reply/Quote
I've seen people proposing that the Bengals hire Hue as offensive coordinator, but has there been any indication at all that they've been displeased with Lazor?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: LA and Las Vegas are off the table...are they dying to go to San Antonio or something?

Introducing your 2019 Myrtle Beach Bengals!  "A second rate franchise, for a second rate vacation destination!".   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:26 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I've seen people proposing that the Bengals hire Hue as offensive coordinator, but has there been any indication at all that they've been displeased with Lazor?

Well, Lazor is crappy and boring and other teams don't want him, so I'd imagine Mike Brown is beyond pleased with the guy.

(12-31-2018, 11:09 AM)McC Wrote: If he did, it would be some salve on the open wound that is Marvin.  At least some good would come from it.

Perhaps all Mike Brown's exes live in Texas?
Reply/Quote
I mean don't get my wrong. Lazor hasn't impressed me at all, and I wouldn't shed a tear if they let him go after one season. I just haven't seen any indications that the Bengals themselves are displeased with him. If anybody could benefit from the injury excuse, it'd be him. What with the complete decimation of our tight end and wide receiver corps.

Still, hard to support a guy that didn't have the common sense to put Mixon and Bernard on the field at the same time.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote