Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Penei was drafted at 5, is this a playoff team?
(01-05-2022, 11:14 PM)jason Wrote: Hell I thought it died months ago... At any rate... Yeah we did the right thing. Now we can cut bait on Waynes throw his money at a proven lineman, and draft another and a corner early next year. Preferably with the 32nd and 64th picks.

What if Waynes has like 5 ints in route too the Superbowl?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:58 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: No offense to you OP or personal slight intended, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... not another Sewell v Chase thread.

At least we aren't get posts like Fan_in_Kettering posted at the end of the preseason:

"Ja’Marr Chase doesn’t make my 53. For the record I wouldn’t keep Penei Sewell on Detroit’s 53 either. Chase came to Cincinnati completely entitled and in my estimation he might be barely worthy of the practice squad. He showed me nothing."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 12:33 AM)Nepanyrush Wrote: At least we aren't get posts like Fan_in_Kettering posted at the end of the preseason:

"Ja’Marr Chase doesn’t make my 53. For the record I wouldn’t keep Penei Sewell on Detroit’s 53 either. Chase came to Cincinnati completely entitled and in my estimation he might be barely worthy of the practice squad. He showed me nothing."

Yikes.

Gotta love those overreactions, amirite?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 12:33 AM)Nepanyrush Wrote: At least we aren't get posts like Fan_in_Kettering posted at the end of the preseason:

Definitely a bit too strong, but in fairness they both looked awful in preseason.

Nobody would've guessed Penei would still be a stud and Chase would be one of the best rookies ever.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I honestly feel like Higgins would be over 1500 yards if we went Sewell over Chase..and our offense would’ve looked similar to 05 with 2WR, 1TE sets…I bet we would’ve contended just as much too….I was Camp Sewell.

Chase was the better pick.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Cant wait to see how much Chase and Burrow is going to.cost this team on.their 2nd contracts
Reply/Quote
I guess everyone forgot how horrid our FO was at picking linemen recently?

Let it die.

At least they made a great pic at WR... AGAIN.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. When Chase was struggling in games 8-14, Higgins was balling. Higgins and Chase is still a plus starting duo, and I'm sure we would've drafted a deep threat somewhere else.

Penei has graded solidly in year 1, and would've made our line better.

All this said, I feel safe saying we made the right choice. Seeing how Burrow didn't get hurt. We were fortunate in that regard, seeing how we gave up 51 sacks.

Since we got away with getting Chase and Burrow made it to the end, we did great. Now go fix the line and let's PLEASE let this thing die. For the love of God.

One of the problems with team Chase is that they feel his success merits the pick whereas the only thing that merits the pick in my eyes is the fact that Burrow survived the season. NOW that he's off until the playoff game . . . they gambled, but successful pick.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

I remember that post. Quite a doozy. LOL

Reply/Quote
Why.... why is this even being brought up?

Who knows and who cares.

If ever there was a thread to lock, this is that thread.

I do hope that no one is foolish enough to believe however that this team is in the playoffs because of just one player. There has been improvement everywhere, coaching, play calling, the defense is healthy and playing better, it isn't just one pick that turned this into a playoff team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was rewatching the Chase/Sewell Civil War on youtube today. And let me tell ya, Tony Pike gave a
Incredible breakdown on the reason to draft Chase

So I sat and thought what if Sewell goes to Cincy instead?

I dont think this team wins the North.
But I think it's right in hunt till the end, but falls
Short in its pursuit of a playoff birth.

Penei is a up and coming RT, but defenses dont gameplan
For OTs.
Chase has really made this offense dangerous and he is
Making DCs like Spagnulo look stupid

I don't personally believe we make the playoffs without Chase.  Simply put, that is just too much of a chunk of the team's offensive output to lose.  Of the Bengals 6333 yards from scrimmage this year, Chase accounts for 1450 of them.  We also probably aren't a playoff team without Mixon, Tee, or Boyd, either.  We're in a situation where the offensive weapons at the top of the depth chart are extremely good, but the depth is terrible.  You also throw in the fact that he has more TD's than the rest of our WR corps combined and it's hard to see the Bengals in the playoffs without him.  

Beyond that, you look at specific games.  I mean, we ain't winning that KC game without that insane performance.  We also won games in weeks 3 and 4 with Higgins out.  Steelers game we probably still win because the D locked them down, but we likely don't win the Thursday nighter against the Jags coming out as flat as we did with no Chase and Higgins out.  The opener against the Vikings also likely doesn't make it to OT where the Bengals win without the TD bomb to Chase down the sideline just before the half.   

Sewell had a rough start to the season in pass pro, but has put together a good rookie season.  He would have been a good pick, as well.  Pitts also.  Crazy that Pitts is only the 2nd rookie TE in NFL history to top 1000 yards and isn't even talked about for ORotY.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 03:03 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't personally believe we make the playoffs without Chase.  Simply put, that is just too much of a chunk of the team's offensive output to lose.  Of the Bengals 6333 yards from scrimmage this year, Chase accounts for 1450 of them.  We also probably aren't a playoff team without Mixon, Tee, or Boyd, either.  We're in a situation where the offensive weapons at the top of the depth chart are extremely good, but the depth is terrible.  You also throw in the fact that he has more TD's than the rest of our WR corps combined and it's hard to see the Bengals in the playoffs without him.  

Beyond that, you look at specific games.  I mean, we ain't winning that KC game without that insane performance.  We also won games in weeks 3 and 4 with Higgins out.  Steelers game we probably still win because the D locked them down, but we likely don't win the Thursday nighter against the Jags coming out as flat as we did with no Chase and Higgins out.  The opener against the Vikings also likely doesn't make it to OT where the Bengals win without the TD bomb to Chase down the sideline just before the half.   

Sewell had a rough start to the season in pass pro, but has put together a good rookie season.  He would have been a good pick, as well.  Pitts also.  Crazy that Pitts is only the 2nd rookie TE in NFL history to top 1000 yards and isn't even talked about for ORotY.

I would imagine that’s because of 2 things; he plays on a terrible team, and he also only has 1 TD in 16 games (seriously fire your OC).

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 03:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I would imagine that’s because of 2 things; he plays on a terrible team, and he also only has 1 TD in 16 games (seriously fire your OC).

I think it may be time to start looking beyond Matt Ryan too.... Not our problem.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 09:26 AM)jason Wrote: I think it may be time to start looking beyond Matt Ryan too.... Not our problem.

I know a lot of people were surprised they didn’t take a QB at 4 last year, but honestly - outside of Mac Jones that QB class has been terrible so far. Pitts was understandably too good to pass up. Unfortunately for them this years class is even worse.

But like you said, not our problem. We got our franchise QB. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
I said it then and I'll say it again, and then hopefully it's the end of it. Wink

Any time you get a chance to take a player that can be directly responsible for you winning games you have to take them because they are game changers. Pure and simple, a WR can do this and one single offensive lineman can't.

Chase will literally change the way defenses have to play the Bengals for years to come, making JB, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and Uzo's numbers all better.

No brainer. It was a silly conversation then and it's even sillier now.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It mostly died, but not dead enough for my tastes.

We can now push all our chips in on the line. I don't think anyone will have a problem with that this time around. Although I'm sure we'll hear murmurs about tight end or maybe a LB. 

I'd spend the top 2 picks on linemen and bring in a couple A-B tier free agents. Why not at this point? I don't see any glaring weakness other than line.

CB’s are weak, and another pass rusher would be nice.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 09:55 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I said it then and I'll say it again, and then hopefully it's the end of it. Wink

Any time you get a chance to take a player that can be directly responsible for you winning games you have to take them because they are game changers. Pure and simple, a WR can do this and one single offensive lineman can't.

Chase will literally change the way defenses have to play the Bengals for years to come, making JB, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and Uzo's numbers all better.

No brainer. It was a silly conversation then and it's even sillier now.

We're spoiled as Bengals fans. In the last decade we've taken 2 WRs (Green and Higgins) that have put up pretty special numbers right away. That's not to mention guys like Jones, Boyd, and Sanu that contributed good to solid numbers within a year. We maybe forget that it takes time to develop WRs. Chase has been next level though. I'm glad we took him, and made some improvements to the line. We can now go after that unit really hard in the off-season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 10:07 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: CB’s are weak, and another pass rusher would be nice.

I'd like another corner early in the draft myself.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It mostly died, but not dead enough for my tastes.

We can now push all our chips in on the line. I don't think anyone will have a problem with that this time around. Although I'm sure we'll hear murmurs about tight end or maybe a LB. 

I'd spend the top 2 picks on linemen and bring in a couple A-B tier free agents. Why not at this point? I don't see any glaring weakness other than line.

I think decent enough TE’s can be found rounds 3-5.
Reply/Quote
I don't think so, no.
Reply/Quote