Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Penei was drafted at 5, is this a playoff team?
Burrow looks like he could drag an XFL roster to the playoffs right now. If he says healthy in 2020 and we don't get Chase or Sewell I think we'd still be atop the AFC North.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Burrow looks like he could drag an XFL roster to the playoffs right now.  If he says healthy in 2020 and we don't get Chase or Sewell I think we'd still be atop the AFC North.

Admittedly, I had to read this a couple times. I thought you were bringing this up within the context of the XFL. I was about to reply, "You don't think Burrow would dominate in the XFL?!?! - Hall of Shame worthy!" Then, I realized you meant if the XFL roster was in the NFL, Burrow could work some magic.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Admittedly, I had to read this a couple times. I thought you were bringing this up within the context of the XFL. I was about to reply, "You don't think Burrow would dominate in the XFL?!?! - Hall of Shame worthy!" Then, I realized you meant if the XFL roster was in the NFL, Burrow could work some magic.  Hilarious

Burrow dragged me to the Bengals Board HoF.

But seriously, if we are on board with Burrow being an MVP QB and ZT being the coach of the year how could we say this team couldn't be a playoff team right now if Burrow and ZT play the whole season last year and win 7+ games and cost us the chance to draft Chase?

If you have an elite QB and a good HC, everything else is cream cheese.  Chase is the ultimate luxury benefit of an unlucky injury, he's not essential. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was rewatching the Chase/Sewell Civil War on youtube today. And let me tell ya, Tony Pike gave a
Incredible breakdown on the reason to draft Chase

So I sat and thought what if Sewell goes to Cincy instead?

I dont think this team wins the North.
But I think it's right in hunt till the end, but falls
Short in its pursuit of a playoff birth.

Penei is a up and coming RT, but defenses dont gameplan
For OTs.
Chase has really made this offense dangerous and he is
Making DCs like Spagnulo look stupid

Chase's performance has arguably been what has won 2-3 of these games.
And who knows what the Bengals would have done with the starting OL if Sewell was drafted while also having Reiff.
Perhaps they put Sewell at RG, or perhaps they put Sewell at RT with Reiff at RG (or one of them as swing OT).

Let's assume that if the Bengals did draft Sewell, they probably would have taken a WR where they took Carman.
And knowing they needed an outside WR, they probably would have taken Terrace Marshall at that spot.

I do think Higgins, Boyd, and Marshall would have put together a good receiving corp and the passing game would have been solid, but I don't think it would have been as good as with Chase. OL protection may have been better though.

So I guess I'll say that if Sewell was the pick instead, this team probably has about 8 wins right now instead of 10.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Let's just say Sewell was the pick, and he gives an extra split second to throw. I don't care how much more time Joe B had to throw, you can't account for the Chase physicality and blocking ability, to say nothing of his break aways.

Yeah, we still have Higgins and Boyd. Love them both. But, they ain't Chase.

As far as 2nd contracts, let's get through the first contract. No one has a crystal ball to predict what may or may not happen. We're in a good position right now. Let's enjoy it.
Reply/Quote
What's the amount of years is a OL compared to a WR?

We all know a RB has a limited amount of years compared to other positions.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They’d essentially be the Chargers if cincy picked Sewell
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 01:29 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why.... why is this even being brought up?

Who knows and who cares.

If ever there was a thread to lock, this is that thread.

I do hope that no one is foolish enough to believe however that this team is in the playoffs because of just one player. There has been improvement everywhere, coaching, play calling, the defense is healthy and playing better, it isn't just one pick that turned this into a playoff team.

Agree 100%

Love Chase but want O-line improved as well. Chase was the right selection considering Burrow connection and covid year making it hard to scout players and having Burrow's opinion on Ja'Marr had to help sway them that direction. 

Yet agree that it was all these additions that have Bengals setting where they are today,

Ja'Marr Chase
Evan McPhearson 
Trey Hendrickson
Chidobe Awuzie
Reilly Reiff
Larry Ogunjobi
Eli Apple
Mike Hilton
Coach Pollack

Amongst others and would have loved to have seen what Ossai would have brought to the table as well. 

Whoever orchestrated all these moves is the single reason the Bengals are heading to the playoffs. Personally would like to thank him in lieu of calling for his head on a platter and threatening to leave forum if he is not replaced immediately for being so bad. Don't always agree with his play calling, yet love his team structuring and am giddy about the future course he has paved for Bengals to travel upon.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 10:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was rewatching the Chase/Sewell Civil War on youtube today. And let me tell ya, Tony Pike gave a
Incredible breakdown on the reason to draft Chase

So I sat and thought what if Sewell goes to Cincy instead?

I dont think this team wins the North.
But I think it's right in hunt till the end, but falls
Short in its pursuit of a playoff birth.

Penei is a up and coming RT, but defenses dont gameplan
For OTs.
Chase has really made this offense dangerous and he is
Making DCs like Spagnulo look stupid
I would say we are still in the playoff hunt with Penei but not in the position we are right now the way Chase has played in some games , Chase has raised the level of offense but most say as the QB the offense still revolves around Burrow so Burrow getting more time would also make him more dangerous and we have good WRs without Chase.  
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 01:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: They’d essentially be the Chargers if cincy picked Sewell

Possibly so, although I'll say Ekeler is more of a stud as a pass-catching RB than Mixon probably is.
It's reasonable to expect that Higgins and Boyd would be about where Allen and Mike Williams are production-wise if Chase wasn't on the team.
Uzomah could potentially have more production if he was the third option in the passing game. Or a Day 2 WR if the Bengals chose to do that instead of Carman or Ossai.
The offense would be less dynamic though, as Chase is the best big-play guy they have.
Almost assuredly more passing attempts though to make up for it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would say we are still in the playoff hunt with Penei but not in the position we are right now the way Chase has played in some games , Chase has raised the level of offense but most say as the QB the offense still revolves around Burrow so Burrow getting more time would also make him more dangerous and we have good WRs without Chase.  

Riley Reiff has been better in pass protection than Penei Sewell this season.

Overall Penei Sewell without Ja'Marr Chase would have been a huge downgrade in the passing offense and I don't believe Sewell's run blocking would have made up the difference in Ja'Marr Chase's explosive plays.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Taking Chase helps protect Burrow. Maybe even more so than taking Sewell. With no deep threat last year, the Bengals had to dink and dunk, leading to Joe having to attempt 10 more passes per game (calculating him as playing 9.5 games since he got hurt right after half against WFT) than he does this year. A big reason for that is they score so quickly with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 03:06 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Taking Chase helps protect Burrow.  Maybe even more so than taking Sewell.  With no deep threat last year, the Bengals had to dink and dunk, leading to Joe having to attempt 10 more passes per game (calculating him as playing 9.5 games since he got hurt right after half against WFT) than he does this year.  A big reason for that is they score so quickly with Chase.

alright, stop. He's the most sacked qb in the league. Glad Chase is here, but Burrow is still getting lit up
Reply/Quote
There was no wrong pick if Chase or Sewell. The deciding factor was they had Jonah Williams they had faith in. PFF ranks him 10th best LT this year and the proven vet Reiff. What would best elevate the team immediately. Linemen struggle early and Sewell did. The Bengals wanted to erase all the bad losing culture ruining this team with a solid start. Mission accomplished. They will find a tackle in the first round this year and likely find a replacement for Reiff. But monetary decisions loom. Ogunjobi Bates Uzomah Apple and Hill are all important. Depends on how many will take the same salary but with longer deals. I don’t think they can keep Bates or Ogunjobi. Unfortunately they struck gold with a few but alas on one year prove it deals. But some guys in FA are going to want to come here. A lot of solid backups I didn’t mention need to be retained. Make no mistake the FO will have their work cut out for them. But it looks like Taylors eye for talent and having zero ego and Duke Tobin allows for an awesome draft of unity and free agent pursuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 03:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: alright, stop. He's the most sacked qb in the league. Glad Chase is here, but Burrow is still getting lit up

How often would he be getting sacked if he was throwing it 42 times a game instead of 32 times, even with Penei Sewell at right guard (now right tackle)?
Reply/Quote
I cannot believe this is still being discussed after the year Chase just had. Do posters who were wrong after the draft want to double down on being wrong?

Let's take NFL.com's take:

"Last week was the time to talk about how smart Cincinnati was to take Chase fifth overall in this year's draft instead of selecting an offensive lineman. This is the week when Chase made this writer look smart for bringing that up. The dude almost singlehandedly dominated one of the hottest defenses, with 11 receptions for 266 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-31 win over Kansas City. Any debate about Offensive Rookie of the Year officially ended on Sunday. "

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-18-how-antonio-brown-s-meltdown-has-sealed-bucs-fate-joe-bur

"Cincinnati drafts receiver Ja'Marr Chase fifth overall: There was a lot of talk about the need for Cincinnati to protect quarterback Joe Burrow, whose promising rookie season was cut short in 2020 by a knee injury, when this year's draft arrived. The Bengals could've taken a highly regarded offensive tackle like Penei Sewell **** with the fifth overall selection, but the idea of giving their quarterback one more skill player was too much to ignore. They chose well in the end. *** he's been the best rookie receiver in the league, *** Then there's the impact Chase's presence has on everyone else. Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins are dangerous threats. Tight end C.J. Uzomah is an underrated tight end. Joe Mixon is one of the best backs in the league. The Bengals have so many weapons that it's easy to see why Burrow has blossomed in his second season. *** the Bengals also are sitting in first place in the AFC North with a strong shot at their first playoff appearance since 2015. Adding Chase back in April was a significant step in that direction."

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-week-17-five-decisions-that-most-impacted-2021-will-seahawks-trad
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 01:11 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: One of the problems with team Chase is that they feel his success merits the pick whereas the only thing that merits the pick in my eyes is the fact that Burrow survived the season. NOW that he's off until the playoff game . . . they gambled, but successful pick.

I would say that if Burrow had suffered another injury on one of these 51 sacks and countless hits that it would've flipped the perception of the Chase pick, but tbh I doubt it would.

There's a segment of people who refuse to admit that more sacks/hits correlates to higher risk of injury.

So for me personally, this was the best case scenario in hindsight. Chase turned out better than anyone on here (yes, anyone) dreamed of, and Burrow made it through the beating relatively healthy. (Tony Romo was taking some subtle shots at our FO for not protecting Joe after the KC game btw)

Now that we got the absolute best case scenario after taking Chase, we need to do what some of us wanted to do last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree 100%

Love Chase but want O-line improved as well. Chase was the right selection considering Burrow connection and covid year making it hard to scout players and having Burrow's opinion on Ja'Marr had to help sway them that direction. 

Yet agree that it was all these additions that have Bengals setting where they are today,

Ja'Marr Chase
Evan McPhearson 
Trey Hendrickson
Chidobe Awuzie
Reilly Reiff
Larry Ogunjobi
Eli Apple
Mike Hilton
Coach Pollack

Amongst others and would have loved to have seen what Ossai would have brought to the table as well. 

Whoever orchestrated all these moves is the single reason the Bengals are heading to the playoffs. Personally would like to thank him in lieu of calling for his head on a platter and threatening to leave forum if he is not replaced immediately for being so bad. Don't always agree with his play calling, yet love his team structuring and am giddy about the future course he has paved the road for Bengals to travel upon.  

Excellent post
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. When Chase was struggling in games 8-14, Higgins was balling. Higgins and Chase is still a plus starting duo, and I'm sure we would've drafted a deep threat somewhere else.

Penei has graded solidly in year 1, and would've made our line better.

All this said, I feel safe saying we made the right choice. Seeing how Burrow didn't get hurt. We were fortunate in that regard, seeing how we gave up 51 sacks.

Since we got away with getting Chase and Burrow made it to the end, we did great. Now go fix the line and let's PLEASE let this thing die. For the love of God.

Agreed.

I think we still make the playoffs with Higgins, Boyd, CJ and Mixon.  Burrow takes less sacks and Mixon has more room to run.  Having said that, I think we made the right choice with Chase IF (and that's a big IF), the front office is able to buy the rest of the pieces in the off-season for the OL and keep Burrow alive.  I'm a little skeptical that Hopkins, Prince, Carman and Adeniji get much better next year.  Reiff is getting old as well.  I wouldn't count on him next year either.

I do think we will be able to have an advantage we haven't had in a long time when it comes to free agency.  Who wouldn't want to play with Burrow and have a shot at a ring?  So, I am hopeful in that regard as long as Burrow survives the playoffs and makes it to next season unhurt.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote