Poll: Should the Bengals have traded up past DET to get Ragnow?
Yes!
No, Price is fine and the extra pick(s) not worth giving up
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Ragnow was really the target at 21...
This article on Cincy Jungle seems to indicate the Bengals should have traded up past DET to get Ragnow if he really was their guy, but teams knew they likely wouldn't.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/3/17311958/nfl-execs-insiders-critical-bengals-drafting-billy-price-round-1

If Ragnow was really the target for the Bengals at 21 (which most believe), should the Bengals have considered giving up a pick (or picks) to move ahead of DET? It likely would have only cost a 4th rounder to trade up to 19/20.

I personally vote yes, especially when the 4th rounder resulted in "just" another RB.

EDIT - I think I accidentally misled people that the topic is on Ragnow vs (Price + Walton) when really it should be focused on Bengals draft philosophy of should they trade up a couple spots to get their guy vs waiting, which they seemed to do this draft and also two years ago when all the WRs went off the board ahead of them. Sometimes using specific players rather than a general statement causes people to focus on the individual players mentioned. My apologies if it was written poorly to convey the wrong message.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
9 interior linemen went in the top 40 picks (8 if Corbett ends up playing tackle).

It was definitely not a reach.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Rather have Price ( who many think is the best center in draft) and Walton

Walton was a seriously good pick. I honestly cannot believe than the Bengals got him. The kid is an electric RB

I honestly think this draft is going to turn out as the best one for the Bengals in a long time.

Everyone drafted in rounds 1-5 will make the team and improve our roster in areas of weakness.

Dennard is a better CB than Dre and I can see Dre getting cut with the two new fifth round CBs
Reply/Quote
The draft is a crap shoot. It's a guessing game. Why give up a 4th round pick where you've had success finding good players to move up for a guy where there's pretty much no difference between them. Unless you're picking in the top 5-10 it's pretty much luck on whether the player ends up being worth it.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This article on Cincy Jungle seems to indicate the Bengals should have traded up past DET to get Ragnow if he really was their guy, but teams knew they likely wouldn't.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/3/17311958/nfl-execs-insiders-critical-bengals-drafting-billy-price-round-1

If Ragnow was really the target for the Bengals at 21 (which most believe), should the Bengals have considered giving up a pick (or picks) to move ahead of DET? It likely would have only cost a 4th rounder to trade up to 19/20.

I personally vote yes, especially when the 4th rounder resulted in "just" another RB.

....or they really were graded so close it didn't matter to them which they got.
Reply/Quote
I said NO. Why the "Price is fine" thing though? He was the nation's best center last year, so he is more than fine IMO. I'll add, that was only after playing center for 1 year.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't Matter... Its how the draft works... We had already traded down to get a OT... Trading back up even a few spots is costly in the first.
Reply/Quote
You are also under valueing Walton here....
Reply/Quote
Ragnow is not better than Price. People, stop the lunacy.... be happy we got the best center in the draft.
Reply/Quote
May never know which was the better choice since Det is using Ragnow as a Guard. Not sure why Det didn't just pick a Guard like Hernandez knowing that's the position they were going with. But I guess with a first round Guard might as well get a versatile guy like Ragnow that can play multiple positions.
Reply/Quote
I voted yes - but with a catch. It really depends on what kind of grades they had on both. For all we know, Price may have had a higher grade. If they were both rated as first rounders and they were 20-25 on the board, then I wouldn't give up the pick to get Ragnow.

I'm actually glad the Lions took Ragnow ahead of us because I truly think the Bengals had Price rated higher.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 12:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ragnow is not better than Price. People, stop the lunacy.... be happy we got the best center in the draft.

Im sorry, but you just have know way of knowing that. 

A LOT of evaluators had Ragnow better than Price. Some had Price better than Ragnow. 

To say that its "lunacy" that some people think Ragnow is better than Price is not really lunacy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im sorry, but you just have know way of knowing that. 

A LOT of evaluators had Ragnow better than Price. Some had Price better than Ragnow. 

To say that its "lunacy" that some people think Ragnow is better than Price is not really lunacy. 

You said it yourself, some had Price rated higher than Ragnow, and vice versa. What that means is they are both right there together. The lunacy is talking about giving up draft picks to get one over the other.....
Reply/Quote
The Price Is Right...

Gene tell everyone about the extra pick we also picked up from this move...

Well Bob...
Reply/Quote
What's kind of lunacy is thinking there's no way either player can't possibly get injured and never play worth a hoot again . They're both still quite young and may go on to have great careers or both might get in plane crashes and die.. Hell, for all we know both will call it quits and open a hair styling salon together at the end of the season and specialize in clipping labadoodles for trophy wives¶ .. I'm not really predicting that ,but you never know what people are gonna do .

¶my ultra cynical side coming out there .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:50 AM)Synric Wrote: 9 interior linemen went in the top 40 picks (8 if Corbett ends up playing tackle).

It was definitely not a reach.

If Billy Price doesnt injure himself who knows the Lions might have picked him first. After hearing Price being so excited about playing for his home team I fell in love with this pick. I know that means nothing if he isnt good, but he is.
Reply/Quote
With the players being graded so closely, I think they did just fine staying put.  I was glad to have a chance at either one of them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This article on Cincy Jungle seems to indicate the Bengals should have traded up past DET to get Ragnow if he really was their guy, but teams knew they likely wouldn't.

Hey Ocho, i am as big of a fan of Ragnow as anyone as you well know but i voted no.

Price is just as good as Ragnow, the injury is the main reason why i wanted Ragnow over him. That and Ragnow
might be a better pass protector. But still, Price is a better run blocker and has more upside than Ragnow.

Also, even if i didn't like the Walton pick at the time he could end up being that stud ST'er that Simmons prides
himself in and could make a more positive impact than we know.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 12:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: The Price Is Right...

Gene tell everyone about the extra pick we also picked up from this move...

Well Bob...

What extra pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
According to Lap, it was basically a tossup as to how the two players graded out with the Bengals...so being able to land either of them, and greatly upgrading (potentially) an area of weakness that has plagued this team for years, seems like a really good day at the office,

Staying at 21 and taking whichever one was available - or whichever they preferred if both were there - seemed like the smartest play, IMO.
Reply/Quote