Poll: Should the Bengals have traded up past DET to get Ragnow?
Yes!
No, Price is fine and the extra pick(s) not worth giving up
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Ragnow was really the target at 21...
(05-10-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And with a Freudian slip, we all now know where Lapham goes to get his information.....

Actually, since the 3 centers were all rated so closely, I could very well see the coaching staff in Cincy giving the edge to Price simply because he's used to playing in Ohio weather....

Not really a factor honestly.
The three Centers are from Arkansas, Iowa, and Ohio.

Average climate in November:
Arkansas = high 62, low 42, 5.28 inches of precipitation
Iowa = high 48, low 31, 2.17 inches of precipitation
Ohio = high 52, low 35, 3.82 inches of precipitation

Average climate in December (when college football is not being played other than nice weather or indoor bowl games):
Arkansas = high 52, low 34, 4.96 inches of precipitation

Iowa = high 34, low 18, 1.38 inches of precipitation
Ohio = high 41, low 26, 7.4 inches of precipitation

So Iowa is actually slightly colder than Ohio but less precipitation. Arkansas is a little warmer than Ohio but more precipitation in November.
Neither Arkansas nor Iowa are as nice as you are implying. Just because Arkansas plays in the SEC doesn't mean Arkansas itself is crazy warm.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:25 PM)dnkw Wrote: Big Grin

TBH I'm looking forward to seeing what Price can do - as Pollack said in his interview, the one word he'd use to describe Price is 'Anchor' - how long since we've had one of those at center (and imagine the positive knock on effect for the rest of the line). 

Yeah, i am just happy we got Price, whether there was a preference between Ragnow or Price i don't really care.

We got one of them and like you said, Price has an anchor and i like pretty much everything about him.

Cannot wait to watch the TC vids when he gets healthy and him in the Preseason. Should be MUCH different then
what we have seen from the Center position for so long. A Center with an anchor that is a road grading run blocker?

Sign me up. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not really a factor honestly.

Average climate in December (when college football is not being played other than nice weather or indoor bowl games):

So Iowa is actually slightly colder than Ohio but less precipitation. Arkansas is a little warmer than Ohio but more precipitation in November.
Neither Arkansas nor Iowa are as nice as you are implying. Just because Arkansas plays in the SEC doesn't mean Arkansas itself is crazy warm.

Can't just look at that, because they all just don't play home games. Arkansas is an SEC team.... Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M.... Ohio State is a Big 10 team....Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue. OSU plays a whole heck of a lot more cold weather games than Arkansas does....
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Can't just look at that, because they all just don't play home games. Arkansas is an SEC team.... Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M.... Ohio State is a Big 10 team....Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue. OSU plays a whole heck of a lot more cold weather games than Arkansas does....

I understand that and agree, but you said "Ohio weather." You didn't say Big 10 weather. And even if you did, James Daniels still fits in that same weather discussion.
And clearly Detroit didn't have concern with putting Ragnow in a northern division. Chicago and Green Bay are colder and worse weather than Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Baltimore.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not really a factor honestly.

I acutally think Ragnow was raised in Wisconsin.... 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 04:07 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I acutally think Ragnow was raised in Wisconsin.... 

Minnesota. He was actually interviewed at his Pro Day about preparing for it in Minnesota.
Quote:nstead of jumping right into things at the NFL Scouting Combine, which was Feb. 27-March 5, Ragnow waited for Arkansas’ Pro Day to do the pre-draft drills.

“Not many people go up to Minnesota to train; everybody goes to Arizona or California or whatnot,” Ragnow said. “I’ve kind of been alone in the snow training, so it’s good to show off a little bit and not be by myself.”
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Pro-Day-Report-Arkansas-Razorbacks-center-Frank-Ragnow-safety-Josh-Liddell-shine-116718349
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 09:20 AM)dnkw Wrote: Huh, did he actually say he was #1 on their board? 

I thought he said Ragnow was his own personal preference (and not by much). Would be interested to see/hear that if you have a source. Thank you.

Lap said it on one of the podcasts after the draft. The Bengals had Ragnow rated as their #1 center.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 01:05 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Lap said it on one of the podcasts after the draft. The Bengals had Ragnow rated as their #1 center.

Thanks, I did look out for his podcast contributions after the draft (Rapien/Hoard etc.) but must have missed that one (all the ones I heard had him saying that he figured that teams seemed to be rating him ahead of Price, but nothing definitive in the manner you've described).

If you have a link, I'd be interested to hear it.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 03:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that and agree, but you said "Ohio weather." You didn't say Big 10 weather. And even if you did, James Daniels still fits in that same weather discussion.
And clearly Detroit didn't have concern with putting Ragnow in a northern division. Chicago and Green Bay are colder and worse weather than Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

Not the same though. Detroit plays at least 9 games a year indoors.

Not that I think weather was a major factor in the drafting of Price.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 05:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Did you consider that Price was one of the top rated Guards until moving to center last year?  I also love Price's leadership.  I think we will be very happy with Price.  This offense needed someone with a chip on their shoulder, and I will take a guy that is allergic to losing any day.  

The best thing I see about Price is that we should be able to resign him if he pans out in 5 years.  Ragnow would have had to let go because of salary like Zeitler.    I mean, obviously we won't know how all this pans out for years, but the specific question of moving up ahead of Detroit to get him given all our picks was a no brainer.   They obviously didn't think Detroit would pull the trigger.  But to say these guys were the same is just false.  Price is a great prospect buy Ragnow was much better.    When he was gone we should have traded back or moved up in the 2nd to get him or Daniels.   I think they were caught off guard and over-reacted/ panicked.   I hope he is all world.   The 55 games played is usually a negative as it's a ton of wear and tear. 
Reply/Quote
Ragnow was better but I'm happy with Price..wouldnt call it settle
Reply/Quote
Is this like when everyone wanted Gonzalez over Jake Elliott?

Guess that means we'll be cutting Price, he'll win a chip with the Eagles, and everyone will act like they wanted Price all along. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It really baffles me when guys say Ragnow is clearly better or Price is a lot better, or Price isn't that good or whatever ? When the fact is it's all complete speculation at this point !

Price may end up a perennial all pro and Ragnow completely flop, or vice versa ? IF it was really that easy to predict a college prospects NFL greatness or awfulness for that matter the draft would be near perfect every time and it's not even close now is it ?

I'm just happy the Bengals have decided (finally) the O-line matters and got a seemingly good one in the first !
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2018, 04:06 PM)yang Wrote: The best thing I see about Price is that we should be able to resign him if he pans out in 5 years.  Ragnow would have had to let go because of salary like Zeitler.    I mean, obviously we won't know how all this pans out for years, but the specific question of moving up ahead of Detroit to get him given all our picks was a no brainer.   They obviously didn't think Detroit would pull the trigger.  But to say these guys were the same is just false.  Price is a great prospect buy Ragnow was much better.    When he was gone we should have traded back or moved up in the 2nd to get him or Daniels.   I think they were caught off guard and over-reacted/ panicked.   I hope he is all world.   The 55 games played is usually a negative as it's a ton of wear and tear. 

This makes no sense.  Neither one of them will be playing Guard here, and I think Cleveland severely overpaid Zeitler.  The Bengals made the right move in letting Zeitler go, but they made the wrong move in letting Whit go when it was obvious that neither Ced nor Fisher were ready to take his spot.  

Ragnow was not "much better", either, or he would have won the Rimington Award.  As far as wear and tear goes, that usually applies to running backs, not offensive linemen.  On the offensive line, like QB, the added experience is a plus, not a minus.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 01:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It really baffles me when guys say Ragnow is clearly better or Price is a lot better, or Price isn't that good or whatever ? When the fact is it's all complete speculation at this point !

Well, after all, Ragnow won the Rimington Trophy for Best Center in College Football....... oh, wait a minute.....nevermind....... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 01:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It really baffles me when guys say Ragnow is clearly better or Price is a lot better, or Price isn't that good or whatever ? When the fact is it's all complete speculation at this point !

Price may end up a perennial all pro and Ragnow completely flop, or vice versa ? IF it was really that easy to predict a college prospects NFL greatness or awfulness for that matter the draft would be near perfect every time and it's not even close now is it ?

I'm just happy the Bengals have decided (finally) the O-line matters and got a seemingly good one in the first !

True enough.

I look at the Ragnow/Price/Daniels draft discussion similar to dating ...

Say you are interested in 3 ladies and know they're interested in you. One of the ladies is a 9 ... the others are a high-8 and a mid-8, respectively.

You give the 9 gal a call and find out that she's interested in going to a new expensive restaurant that just opened.

Would you blow an entire month's worth of date money to take her there?

Or would you "settle" for the high-8 that loves "greasy spoon" places?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2018, 11:41 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: True enough.

I look at the Ragnow/Price/Daniels draft discussion similar to dating ...

Say you are interested in 3 ladies and know they're interested in you. One of the ladies is a 9 ... the others are a high-8 and a mid-8, respectively.

You give the 9 gal a call and find out that she's interested in going to a new expensive restaurant that just opened.

Would you blow an entire month's worth of date money to take her there?

Or would you "settle" for the high-8 that loves "greasy spoon" places?

Well, when you put it that way, the greasy spoon 8 isn't picky about what goes into her mouth....so................ Cool
Reply/Quote