Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Sam Wyche coached that playoff game
1. He would have been telling his players to keep their poise all day long.

2. When fans started throwing shit on the field, he would have grabbed the mic and told them they don't live in Pittsburgh - they live in Cincinnati.

These two things would have energized and focused the team, resulting in victory.

https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 04:56 PM)Utts Wrote: 1. He would have been telling his players to keep their poise all day long.

2. When fans started throwing shit on the field, he would have grabbed the mic and told them they don't live in Pittsburgh - they live in Cincinnati.

These two things would have energized and focused the team, resulting in victory.

I disagree, like it or not.. Stanley Wilson relapsed under Sam's watch at a crucial time.. also when we had the tight grasp on the Super Bowl. we let it slip away under Sam... so though I liked Wyche I am not going to crown him King of poise with his teams.

you assume Marvin had not told his players to keep their cool and finally  the Pittsburgh game compares very little to the Seattle game
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I disagree, like it or not.. Stanley Wilson relapsed under Sam's watch at a crucial time.. also when we had the tight grasp on the Super Bowl. we let it slip away under Sam... so though I liked Wyche I am not going to crown him King of poise with his teams.

you assume Marvin had not told his players to keep their cool and finally  the Pittsburgh game compares very little to the Seattle game

I'm only being half serious with this post, but I do find it interesting to consider.

As for putting Wilson on Sam, I''m not buying that. Stanley had issues that required treatment from professionals, not a football coach.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 04:56 PM)Utts Wrote: 1. He would have been telling his players to keep their poise all day long.

Lewis was telling them to keep their poise all day long.  That's evident if you listen to any of the NFL SoundFX bits that they posted on the NFL site.

I don't think they have a PA mike on sideline these days.  It just happened that Bengal PA announcer Tom Kinder used to work from the sideline when Wyche made his famous announcement.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:20 PM)Utts Wrote: I'm only being half serious with this post, but I do find it interesting to consider.

As for putting Wilson on Sam, I''m not buying that. Stanley had issues that required treatment from professionals, not a football coach.

Yeah, not sure how a HC is supposed to fix a drug addiction to cocaine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Did Hue or Marvin talk to Hill before he went on the field before fumbling on the most important carry for the Bengals in twenty five years?
Reply/Quote
Sam Wyche was my favorite Bengals coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sam Wyche was my favorite Bengals coach.

Mine too, by a huge margin. The game was a lot more fun in his era e.g. when he ran the score up on Glanville. Marvin seems to just like everyone too much to do something like that. Where's the fun in that?  Ninja

Sam had passion. You wanted him to win because you could see how bad he wanted it.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 06:23 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Did Hue or Marvin talk to Hill before he went on the field before fumbling on the most important carry for the Bengals in twenty five years?

Does a professional running back need a reminder that fumbling is something that would not be desired no matter the situation?
Reply/Quote
If I recall, wasn't it Cleveland Sam said we didn't live in after the snowballs?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:54 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: If I recall, wasn't it Cleveland Sam said we didn't live in after the snowballs?

He did, but he was suggesting Sam would have modified it last Saturday night since we were playing Pittsburgh.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 05:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I disagree, like it or not.. Stanley Wilson relapsed under Sam's watch at a crucial time.. also when we had the tight grasp on the Super Bowl. we let it slip away under Sam... so though I liked Wyche I am not going to crown him King of poise with his teams.

People will sell their family members for cocaine, so I'm not sure what Sam was supposed to do. 
Reply/Quote
Blaming Sam for a coke bender? Is that like.....really for real?

Fair enough....so Marv gets Henry, Thurman, Pacman, Maualuga, Simpson's pot dealing, Orson Charles weilding a pistol on I 75 outside my town, etc, etc.

Serious question....who won our last playoff game? Who coached in our last Super Bowl? The last team to play a dynasty juggernaut to the final gun I might add......guaran-damn-tee you the game was not too big for Sammy Wyche. No dear in the headlights....no wilting in the bright lights...just outclassed by the best organization in professional sports at the time. BARELY. Pedal to the metal, pure aggresion. Marvin couldn't hold Sam's headset cord in the postseason.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Sam had to coach to overcompensate for minimal talent.....the talent has to overcompensate for Marvin Screwus.....

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:27 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Does a professional running back need a reminder that fumbling is something that would not be desired no matter the situation?

Based on Hill's propensity for fumbling and the extraordinary situation, yes.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People will sell their family members for cocaine, so I'm not sure what Sam was supposed to do. 

What's even more ridiculous is to say we had a tight grasp on the Super Bowl.  This was Bill Walsh , Joe Montana , Jerry Rice , Randy Cross , Charles Haley , Ronnie Lott , among others.  COACHING innovation and motivation was our only hope.....and it almost worked.

Reply/Quote
Wyche wouldn't have played nice in this game. This is the guy that ran up the score on Glanville. It might have been a uglier game cause he was more of a risk taker than ML. Wyche would have probably gotten ejected after the Gio hit.
Reply/Quote
Losing Krummie hurt us more than Wilson in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
If Sam Wyche coached that playoff game, Mike Brown would have actually fired him......again....
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 08:06 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Mine too, by a huge margin. The game was a lot more fun in his era e.g. when he ran the score up on Glanville. Marvin seems to just like everyone too much to do something like that. Where's the fun in that?  Ninja

Sam had passion. You wanted him to win because you could see how bad he wanted it.

Sadly, I never got to see Sam Wyche coach the Bengals, but my Dad has told me plenty about him.
He would agree with you, Sam Wyche was my Dads favorite Bengals head coach.

-Magikod
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote