Poll: If Tyler Boyd was used as the #2 WR in 2024 – How well would he do ? – POLL
600 yards or less
601 to 700 yards
701 to 800 yards
801 to 900 yards
901 to 1,000 yards
Over 1,000 yards
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If Tyler Boyd was used as the #2 WR in 2024 – How well would he do ? – POLL
(01-23-2024, 08:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t believe Fant is worth projecting 3 year 27 to 30 million, what Hudson did once he started getting real snaps and finally getting a true chance was good enough to sign him and compete next year for Starting TE and I prefer to look at draft over Fant at that price... now if we can sign him for 2 year 12 to 16 million possible.. i just don't see the production from him of late to warrant a bigger contract.  I prefer Hunter Henry i think we can get him for a better price

If guys like Uzi and Hurst are getting 3 years, $24 mil, Fant will get at least $9 mil per, especially with how bad this TE draft is.

Hudson is 29 and can't block.  I don't have an issue with them picking up his tender, but he isn't a starting TE and he isn't a long term solution.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 06:19 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: I’m very aware of the talent can’t brings slots don’t need to be fast the need to quick and smart find soft spots and sit boyd is still one of the best in the slot.  Bengals draft WRs better than anyone.  Target one in the second like they always do.  U Will hVe chase a stud rookie Tyler boyd Charlie jones with burrow.  I’m all for bringing in fant  but not as a replacement for boyd.

I dont think he is replacing Boyd, but he is plenty capable of taking more receptions than our TEs in the past have.  I get the thought process of not losing both Tee and Boyd.  

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 06:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: If guys like Uzi and Hurst are getting 3 years, $24 mil, Fant will get at least $9 mil per, especially with how bad this TE draft is.

Hudson is 29 and can't block.  I don't have an issue with them picking up his tender, but he isn't a starting TE and he isn't a long term solution.

Fant ranks low in blocking also and age matters less when a player has not taken the impact on their body like those that have played more, 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 06:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: If guys like Uzi and Hurst are getting 3 years, $24 mil, Fant will get at least $9 mil per, especially with how bad this TE draft is.

And Bengals passed on resigning both for those prices so now we should sign Fant for more??
Reply/Quote

Sure, desperate teams like the Jets and Panthers will certainly overpay because quality players don't want to go to poorly run franchises.  Based upon production alone, I don't think that anyone would have valued either of those guys that highly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 09:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, desperate teams like the Jets and Panthers will certainly overpay because quality players don't want to go to poorly run franchises.  Based upon production alone, I don't think that anyone would have valued either of those guys that highly.

CJ and Hurst were 20th and 23rd(played only 13 games) in receiving yards by a TE their respective years where they entered free agency.  Neither guy was a plus blocker.  Their deals made them the 17th and 19th highest paid TE's, respectively.  Fant is coming off a season where he ranked 23rd in receiving yards by a TE, is younger than either were, and has been Top 10 in receiving yards by a TE as recently as '21.  

It's also a seller's market when it comes to FA TE's this year, due to a terrible draft class in which there are only 2 in the Top 100 prospects.  Since you can't reliably get a starting caliber TE in the draft, if you need a starter(and we do), you'll be desperate to land one in UFA. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And Bengals passed on resigning both for those prices so now we should sign Fant for more??

IF we are losing one of our Top WRs... adding a High Caliber TE couldnt hurt.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And Bengals passed on resigning both for those prices so now we should sign Fant for more??

Yes because Fant is better.  Not rocket science.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: IF we are losing one of our Top WRs... adding a High Caliber TE couldnt hurt.

Back to back 400 yard seasons isn’t high caliber

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:19 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Back to back 400 yard seasons isn’t high caliber

I think Fant could be awesome with Burrow.  He hasnt had a good QB and was in an offense with 3 good WRs in Seattle.  

So much stat chasing in this thread....

Reply/Quote
Sure woulda been nice had they taken a TE last year, in a supposed deep TE class. This year's deep class is OT and WR, so I imagine we'll probably go dime CB and 3rd down RB, then take a OT to develop and a Special teams WR in the late rounds.

Of course I'm being facetious. Stop throwing things at me!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:19 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Back to back 400 yard seasons isn’t high caliber

doesnt have to be fant just in general
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:16 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Fant ranks low in blocking also and age matters less when a player has not taken the impact on their body like those that have played more, 

Fant isn't a plus blocker, but he can play as an inline TE.  Hudson can't.  He's strictly a move TE.  Suggesting he be the starter is akin to saying Myles Murphy looked good at DE, so let's just move him to NT because we need one or Cody Ford didn't look too bad in limited action, we should sign him on the cheap to be the RT.  

I seriously cringe at some of the stuff being presented.  Trot out a has been that was over hyped to begin with Tyler Boyd as the WR2, have a couple of day 3 picks on Jones and Yoshi battle it out for WR3, have another day 3 pick in Brown as the feature back, and a 29 year old, undersized, perennial PS move only TE as the TE1.  Then, when we get blitzed into oblivion because Chase is doubled and nobody else can beat man coverage, those same folks will still say "fix the OL!!!!"
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 01:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs.

Chiefs - Kelce
Ravens - Andrews
Lions - LaPorta
49ers - Kittle

I know Andrews has been hurt but I’m seeing a common factor here. An elite TE is such a huge weapon in today’s game.

The common factor I see is:

Ravens #1 NFL scoring defense

Chiefs #2 NFL scoring defense

49ers  #3 NFL scoring defense

The only one that doesn't fit is Detroit at #23 and I suspect they get beat this weekend by the 49ers with their #3 scoring defense..
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 11:23 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I think Fant could be awesome with Burrow.  He hasnt had a good QB and was in an offense with 3 good WRs in Seattle.  

So much stat chasing in this thread....

You know who else would be awesome with Burrow?  Irv Smith.  Oh wait we tried that already.   Just because a TE plays with Burrow doesnt mean they are going to be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:13 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The common factor I see is:

Ravens #1 NFL scoring defense

Chiefs #2 NFL scoring defense

49ers  #3 NFL scoring defense

The only one that doesn't fit is Detroit at #23 and I suspect they get beat this weekend by the 49ers with their #3 scoring defense..

Amazing how teams like Baltimore and KC are able to field such good defenses even after paying their franchise QB’s isn’t it? Some around here are always going on about how that’s not possible. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:20 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You know who else would be awesome with Burrow?  Irv Smith.  Oh wait we tried that already.   Just because a TE plays with Burrow doesnt mean they are going to be awesome.

Not sure who was excited for IRv smith lol....  im sure some were though
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not sure who was excited for IRv smith lol....  im sure some were though

I was gonna say…he was as bargain bin as it gets.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Amazing how teams like Baltimore and KC are able to field such good defenses even after paying their franchise QB’s isn’t it? Some around here are always going on about how that’s not possible. Ninja

You have to give those organizations credit.  They are obviously doing something right.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2024, 01:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not sure who was excited for IRv smith lol....  im sure some were though

I dont think anyone was excited we signed Smith.  He was the last TE available.  Its like kids playing a pick up game and you get stuck with the last kid no one wanted.  Everyone else has been picked and its Ok I guess we will take Smith.  Im sure Fant would be better but just playing with Burrow wont make him awesome.  With so many other needs on the team I cant see paying 9 million to a TE that has had 400 yard back to back seasons.
Reply/Quote