Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Z walks....
Is there a reason that CedO cannot slide inside to G? I have seen many Tackle prospects make this move in the NFL in the past. Are his physical attributes suited to play G?

Just a thought as if we do sign Whit and then Boling at LG, go sign Mangold, CedO at RG, Fisher at RT

Mangold has a MB signing all over it. Ohio kid, high draft pick, cut from current team.

Maybe a second round pick on RT?

I think this would make our OL a lot better than last year.
Reply/Quote
Because Ogbuehi is weak. That would be an awful right side of the line.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because Ogbuehi is weak. That would be an awful right side of the line.
I would assume if he wants to be an NFL player that he is working on that.  In Whit's interview he mentioned talking to CedO and telling him that he needs to build core strength.  This has been the knock on him since the draft actually.   Do you think that CedO is not trying or that he just does not have "IT" to play in the NFL?  What do you do with him if that is the case?  Just cut him?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:16 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Is there a reason that CedO cannot slide inside to G?  I have seen many Tackle prospects make this move in the NFL in the past.  Are his physical attributes suited to play G?

Just a thought as if we do sign Whit and then Boling at LG, go sign Mangold, CedO at RG, Fisher at RT

Mangold has a MB signing all over it.  Ohio kid, high draft pick, cut from current team.

What TLL said. I would be more comfortable with Bodine at RG than Og honestly. Atleast Bodine has some strength.

I really liked the Westerman pick and barring a FA pickup like Warmack or something i bet he is the RG this year.

Just hoping Westerman has been pumping the weights so we can improve in the run game.

Zeitler was not the best run blocker while he was here so we might actually get better, you never know.

Whitworth - Boling - Mangold - Westerman - Fisher
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What TLL said. I would be more comfortable with Bodine at RG than Og honestly. Atleast Bodine has some strength.

I really liked the Westerman pick and barring a FA pickup like Warmack or something i bet he is the RG this year.

Just hoping Westerman has been pumping the weights so we can improve in the run game.

Zeitler was not the best run blocker while he was here so we might actually get better, you never know.

Whitworth - Boling - Mangold - Westerman - Fisher

This lineup would make much more sense than putting Ogbuehi at RG.  Just think about it for a moment.  Ogbuehi's best attributes are his length and athleticism.  If he can't stay in front of DEs, what makes anyone think that he would fare any better versus much heavier and stronger DTs?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This lineup would make much more sense than putting Ogbuehi at RG.  Just think about it for a moment.  Ogbuehi's best attributes are his length and athleticism.  If he can't stay in front of DEs, what makes anyone think that he would fare any better versus much heavier and stronger DTs?

Yeah, Ogbuehi is not a Guard at all.

He fits one position LT, that is it. Hopefully he gains some muscle and grows into that position.

Have to bring back Whitworth though to hopefully make it a smooth transition if he is not a bust which we all hope he is not.

Problem is, he looks like a bust. He has to have the will to be great, Lapham said it doesn't sound like he does.
Reply/Quote
Westerman will be our starting right guard next season. Take it to the bank.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:28 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I would assume if he wants to be an NFL player that he is working on that.  In Whit's interview he mentioned talking to CedO and telling him that he needs to build core strength.  This has been the knock on him since the draft actually.   Do you think that CedO is not trying or that he just does not have "IT" to play in the NFL?  What do you do with him if that is the case?  Just cut him?

AKA, 22 months ago.

If he couldn't/didn't do it in the 16 months he had between being drafted and 2016's first game, what could possibly make you believe he'll do it just given a bit more time? Dude's a bust. It happens. Time to cut him and move on, or at the very least stop pretending he is a viable option as a starter. I don't think I had ever seen that bad of OT play before, and I have watched Dennis Roland.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:28 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I would assume if he wants to be an NFL player that he is working on that.  In Whit's interview he mentioned talking to CedO and telling him that he needs to build core strength.  This has been the knock on him since the draft actually.   Do you think that CedO is not trying or that he just does not have "IT" to play in the NFL?  What do you do with him if that is the case?  Just cut him?

Tick tock tick tock, time is running out for Oggieboggie boy who is heading into his third year. Maybe he'll start to work on that strength thing this year, then again, maybe he won't. He sure didn't last year.

He was injured going into year one, we drafted him injured. Then he was injured in training camp and missed all of it. Then he tore his rotator cuff in the second to last game of 2016 and ended the year on IR.

The coaches have to telling this kid that he either needs to get it done or he'll be done.

Reply/Quote
He did pretty well at RG when he played it in college.

When they drafted OG and Fisher and let Andre walk it seemed like a shift away from power and more to a zone blocking scheme.

He needs more strength no matter what. But if he cant cut it at T you have to try him at G
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He did pretty well at RG when he played it in college.

When they drafted OG and Fisher and let Andre walk it seemed like a shift away from power and more to a zone blocking scheme.

He needs more strength no matter what. But if he cant cut it at T you have to try him at G

They "had to try" him at RT and LT last season, and he and Nugent turned the team into a loser. You don't HAVE to try a terrible player anywhere. Novel thought, make him earn an opportunity rather than just hand it to him yet again. The only thing the Bengals HAVE to do with Ogbuehi right now is keep him off the field, so maybe that way the Bengals can win some more games before all their good players waste their prime years.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They "had to try" him at RT and LT last season, and he and Nugent turned the team into a loser. You don't HAVE to try a terrible player anywhere. Novel thought, make him earn an opportunity rather than just hand it to him yet again. The only thing the Bengals HAVE to do with Ogbuehi right now is keep him off the field, so maybe that way the Bengals can win some more games before all their good players waste their prime years.

I didnt say start. But if he flops at LT like many do. I dont think you throw in the towel just yet. Try him at G. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 05:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He did pretty well at RG when he played it in college.

(03-04-2017, 06:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I didnt say start. But if he flops at LT like many do. I dont think you throw in the towel just yet. Try him at G. 

He has the athleticism to play LT, but he is too weak to even play there...

Let alone to play Guard against the big nastys.
Reply/Quote
Amazes me how much uncertainty there is on our front 5. Andy must be pulling his hair out...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He has the athleticism to play LT, but he is too weak to even play there...

Let alone to play Guard against the big nastys.

Exactly.. he'd go from going up against the Michael Johnson/Carlos Dunlap types to the Geno Atkins/Aaron Donald/Ndadjfsljf Suh types. That's not how you fix an issue with a lack of strength.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 07:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Exactly.. he'd go from going up against the Michael Johnson/Carlos Dunlap types to the Geno Atkins/Aaron Donald/Ndadjfsljf Suh types. That's not how you fix an issue with a lack of strength.

It was bad enough last year with all the pressure coming from the right side.

This would be even worse coming right up the middle.

Bodine and Ogbuehi in the middle of your line is some scary shit man.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They "had to try" him at RT and LT last season, and he and Nugent turned the team into a loser. You don't HAVE to try a terrible player anywhere. Novel thought, make him earn an opportunity rather than just hand it to him yet again. The only thing the Bengals HAVE to do with Ogbuehi right now is keep him off the field, so maybe that way the Bengals can win some more games before all their good players waste their prime years.

I think you try him out in games that don't count first.  The o-line's issues were evident in preseason games and in practice this past summer.  There should be some indication of whether or not he's made any progress whatsoever.  Just do it when Dalton's not back there, lol.  

I agree, though.  No way you can put him on the field if he looks anything like he did last year.  Dalton should quit if that happens.
Reply/Quote
Right now, my guess (and that's all any of us have) is Westerman taking over for Zeitler, with Ogie being rotated around the line until he's able to catch up.
Reply/Quote

He's dealing with far stronger DL in the NFL though. A lot of guys in college are much smaller than NFL linemen. He had the athleticism to stay in front of them and use his long arms to keep them at bay. They didn't have the strength to overpower him. As you saw with his time at RT in 2016, he can't handle NFL strength yet.

He needs to get much stronger and establish a much better anchor if he's going to be a good NFL player regardless of what position he plays.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 04:16 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Is there a reason that CedO cannot slide inside to G?  I have seen many Tackle prospects make this move in the NFL in the past.  Are his physical attributes suited to play G?

Mangold has a MB signing all over it.  Ohio kid, high draft pick, cut from current team.

Ced was disgusting last year, but even the amazing Geno Atkins came back weak after tearing an ACL.  I'm not defending Ced, but Cincy owes him nothing.  Rather than label him a bust though, he's on the outside looking in as a starter and if he shows signs of being the player they thought they were drafting he may get a shot somewhere.  

So I'd plan on him backing up LT and possibly RT, with Winston one more year as insurance if Ced can do neither.  Provided Whit returns, if Ced outplays Fisher they should consider him back at RT rather than sit for two seasons.  Then, we get to the scenario you speak of.  There shouldn't be a plan for Ced to start anywhere.  I want a plan more stable than Westerman at RG, but IF they go that way then they've been training him to take the RG spot.  If Ced outplays him and somehow picks up the skills to start at RG, so be it.  I just don't think it's realistic.  I want him to come back and make something of himself at tackle at least as a backup and anything above that is great....but never a plan.   
Reply/Quote