Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Zac Taylor wins ...
If Zac Taylor wins this NFL Championship --- Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?

Including Paul Brown[as a Bengals coach]
Forrest Gregg -- My favorite
Sam Wyche -- Sad to see him fired[Curse you Mike Brown]
Marvin Lewis -- Most wins everrr, most playoff games, most division crowns.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He’ll get a lifetime contract.
Reply/Quote
Yes
Reply/Quote
I think it would have to.....but Sam will always be my favorite.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To go where no man has gone before gives him a fair argument for a yes.
Reply/Quote
Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?  Not unless time just stops the moment he's no longer the HC.. All time would have to include past, present and future..Otherwise it's just some time or most time.  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Super Bowl win = best Bengals coach
Reply/Quote
He'll be the best "rags to riches" coach ever.

Lou is already the best DC ever. Better than Mike Zimmer in the last 30 yrs at least.
Reply/Quote
No 3 years of coaching doesn’t warrant it. Does it warrant consideration? Sure. One game even the Super Bowl shouldn’t warrant it. Now I know Fredtoast will anoint him such. He loves him some Zac.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No 3 years of coaching doesn’t warrant it. Does it warrant consideration? Sure. One game even the Super Bowl shouldn’t warrant it. Now I know Fredtoast will anoint him such. He loves him some Zac.

Fred was the staunchest defender of Marvin of all time..Zac barely warrants a blip on the greatest coach of all time to Fred..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Of course it would, outside of Paul Brown himself. Both Gregg and Wyche had bad seasons as well. Who else would even be in contention? Certainly not Marvin, who "did some good things" but never won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown is arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the 3 other arguables (BB, Shula, Walsh) came from his tree, so no one will ever surpass, unless Zac wins 7 Superbowls with different personnel, over 2 decades.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:42 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: If Zac Taylor wins this NFL Championship --- Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?

Yes, yes it does. It really is that simple.. He's already top 3...
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Paul Brown is arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the 3 other arguables (BB, Shula, Walsh) came from his tree, so no one will ever surpass, unless Zac wins 7 Superbowls with different personnel, over 2 decades.

None of these guys even count.. 1 didn't even coach in the super bowl ers or the Bengals at all and the others were assistants...
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 12:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Paul Brown is arguably the greatest coach in NFL history and one of the 3 other arguables (BB, Shula, Walsh) came from his tree, so no one will ever surpass, unless Zac wins 7 Superbowls with different personnel, over 2 decades.

Actually all three came or were heavily influenced by Paul Brown.
Shula played for him, Walsh was the offensive Coordinator under Brown which established the Ohio River offense, and Belicheck calls him his biggest influence.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:42 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: If Zac Taylor wins this NFL Championship --- Does that make him the best Bengals coach of all time?

I would say he has a ways to go to reach Paul Brown's status, and the assistant coaches deserved a lot of credit as well, but I DO give him a TON of credit for the culture and the type of guys he helped bring in here.  I love how he played the rookies (where would we be now if guys like Wilson didn't play early and we were still waiting on them to develop?) and I love how much he seems to want to engage the fan base.

He certainly has had a season unlike any other in a long time.  
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 08:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think it would have to.....but Sam will always be my favorite.

Sam might not have won the Super Bowl, but he will always be the most innovative coach, IMHO.  The Ohio River offense...the no-huddle...the "sugar" huddle...there are many others.  He was very innovative and I will always appreciate how much fun his teams were to watch.   
Reply/Quote
A Super Bowl win is great on a resume, but does that make the coach better than another?

Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Don Coryell. Is Taylor (once we win) or Doug Pederson a better coach than any of those three guys?

If you make the claim a SB victory makes him better than the others, we can't keep arguing that Anderson, Riley, etc. should be in the HOF over other guys (Stabler, for instance) who have the hardware.
Reply/Quote

Agreed, my 18 wheeled-amigo.  

I mentioned this in another thread.  The innovation to the GAME, and not just from an X's and O's standpoint, that Paul Brown brought to football should have him in a higher regard.  

I am not sure if it is on Youtube or anything, but I kept the "A Football Life" story from ESPN on Paul Brown on DVR and have shown many the amazing things this man did for the game.  

I loved Wyche for his innovations as well.

I just believe that, although I would still have him behind Paul Brown, to win a Super Bowl coming off a two season run of 6-25-1 where he had to figure out who he had, say goodbye to some beloved players, and build a culture of high-character guys, and get them to execute on the field is unprecedented.  I won't look past this game to the future, but will add that he and the Bengal's brass didn't mortgage the future of this team to win that Super Bowl, either.  
Reply/Quote
Sam is at the top of my list, followed by Forrest and then Marvin. A win tomorrow and Zac will still all alone at the top, as far as I'm concerned. And I'll look forward to the day we can argue that TWO Super Bowl wins really really makes him the greatest Bengals coach of all time.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote