Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we draft a TE, who do you want and when?
As of this post, the Bengals roster doesn't really have a TE1. Duke does have some options if he wants to draft one. Assuming we pick a TE, who do you want and what round are you targeting the player?

Possible TEs to draft:

1. Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
3. Darnell Washington, Georgia
4. Luke Musgrave, Oregon St.
5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
6. Tucker Kraft, South Dakota St.
7. Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan
8. Josh Whyle, University of Cincinnati
9. Other options

I've seen mocks where we take Mayer or Washington at 28. This latest mock has us taking Kincaid at 28: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-afc-north-browns-steelers-bengals-ravens.

Are you taking a TE, if yes, then when? Are you passing on using the draft for a TE?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:41 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: As of this post, the Bengals roster doesn't really have a TE1. Duke does have some options if he wants to draft one. Assuming we pick a TE, who do you want and what round are you targeting the player?

Possible TEs to draft:

2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
9. Other options

I've seen mocks where we take Mayer or Washington at 28. This latest mock has us taking Kincaid at 28: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-afc-north-browns-steelers-bengals-ravens.

Are you taking a TE, if yes, then when? Are you passing on using the draft for a TE?

I cannot imagine many scenarios in that we do not take a TE sometime in this draft.

Reply/Quote
I would say because there is no veteran experience in the Tight End room you would move guys up that have alot of college playing time and move guys down who don't.

Michael Mayer and Sam LaPorta would move up my board for the Bengals a little and guys like Luke Musgrave and Tucker Kraft would move down a little.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mayer in 1 or LaPorta in 2 are the ones I’d target.
Reply/Quote
I'll take Sam LaPorta in the 2nd round. I don't think any of the big 4 will be there at 60 and I do not want a TE in the first round (non-premium position, we have not valued the position above ~3 or 4 million dollars AAV in recent years, bigger needs etc)

Sam would still be a dynamic addition to the offense but we wouldn't have to spend our top pick on the position.
Reply/Quote
If we could come away with Whyle and Kuntz in the 4th-6th rounds range I would be pretty happy.

Ideally it’s Dawand Jones in the first and Darnell Washington in the 2nd to give us the biggest scariest group possible.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 01:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'll take Sam LaPorta in the 2nd round. I don't think any of the big 4 will be there at 60 and I do not want a TE in the first round (non-premium position,  we have not valued the position above ~3 or 4 million dollars AAV in recent years, bigger needs etc)

Sam would still be a dynamic addition to the offense but we wouldn't have to spend our top pick on the position.

It's not normally a premium position but I think any of the top three tight ends could be considered a premium pick because of the talent and depth.

They're not your normal tight ends and could help bring our offense to another level by giving a big target in the middle of the field or up the seams to make the defenses defend even more ground. That's especially damaging for a defense when they have to double Chase and not to mention Higgins and Boyd.

Everyone knows that I've been crazy about Mayer but was actually going to make a draft today with us taking Washington but I doubt he falls to us.

I'd take Mayer just because I think he could be a staple for Burrow and this offense for the next 15+ years.

Washington would be #2 but we obviously also need a free agent and at least one later draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 03:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's not normally a premium position but I think any of the top three tight ends could be considered a premium pick because of the talent and depth.

They're not your normal tight ends and could help bring our offense to another level by giving a big target in the middle of the field or up the seams to make the defenses defend even more ground. That's especially damaging for a defense when they have to double Chase and not to mention Higgins and Boyd.

Everyone knows that I've been crazy about Mayer but was actually going to make a draft today with us taking Washington but I doubt he falls to us.

I'd take Mayer just because I think he could be a staple for Burrow and this offense for the next 15+ years.

Washington would be #2 but we obviously also need a free agent and at least one later draft pick.

This makes Mayer 36+ and Burrow 41+. Huber played 14 seasons with the Bengals and logged the most time with the organization as a player. So if a drafted TE or Mayer make it 15+ seasons that would be impressive!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 03:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This makes Mayer 36+ and Burrow 41+. Huber played 14 seasons with the Bengals and logged the most time with the organization as a player. So if a drafted TE or Mayer make it 15+ seasons that would be impressive!

Thought about that and figured that and figured, as long as we protect Burrow better and keep building a winning franchise, it's completely doable because Burrow, Chase, and Mayer can be the start of a great dynasty in Cincinnati! 

Very impressive but I think players will want to come play here because of the stability, opportunity to win rings, and the fact that the franchise is investing in the team with things like the practice bubble!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 09:41 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: As of this post, the Bengals roster doesn't really have a TE1. Duke does have some options if he wants to draft one. Assuming we pick a TE, who do you want and what round are you targeting the player?

Possible TEs to draft:

2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
9. Other options

Mayer, Washington, Musgrave, Kincaid - Rd 1
Kraft, LaPorta - Rd 2
Schoonmaker - Rd 3/4
Everyone else - Rd 4 or later

Mayer and LaPorta are my "safe" selections that are well-rounded TEs.
I love the potential of Washington and Kraft, but there's some risk with both.
Schoonmaker I think will be a very good TE2, possibly low-mid level TE1 kind of guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Possible TEs to draft:

2. Dalton Kincaid, Utah
5. Sam LaPorta, Iowa
9. Other options

Sam Laporta and Josh Whyle if we double dip. LaPorta should be solid right off the bat and Whyle has high upside.

No to Kincaid, he doesn't block. I even like Musgrave better who has no production. I like all the other TE's, Payne Durham and 
Brenton Strange are a couple that I would also like you didn't mention Tecmo.
Reply/Quote
If I see "the pick is in" with a Bengals logo hopefully it's Mayer. I'm intrigued with Washington's dominant blocking and red zone ability, but would be happy with any of the 4. The debate is a 5th year option as a 1st rd pick vs a trade down. I like the value of still landing one of the top 4 guys. The Texans have a ton of picks and could give up a 4th so they can get a BPA.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:38 PM)phil413 Wrote: If I see "the pick is in" with a Bengals logo hopefully it's Mayer.  I'm intrigued with Washington's dominant blocking and red zone ability, but would be happy with any of the 4.  The debate is a 5th year option as a 1st rd pick vs a trade down.  I like the value of still landing one of the top 4 guys.  The Texans have a ton of picks and could give up a 4th so they can get a BPA.

I have little confidence in Kincaid being the pick, honestly.
I have a feeling it'd be Mayer>Washington>Musgrave in Rd 1 depending on who is there and they didn't want to wait to Rd 2.
You can never go wrong with an Iowa TE, but the Bengals might really like the potential of Kraft. And Volson has played against SDSU multiple years and may be able to give more insight into Kraft given he's seen him in action first-hand in the FCS.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
My surprise is Washington will slide to us in round 2.

I think we will have a tough choice with pick#28. What do we do if:

Top 4 or 5 OT is available?

How about a top 4 CB?

Or a top 4 WR like Smith-Njigba?

I would take Smith-Njigba and then trade Boyd. But, that is only if the best slot receiver in this draft is available.

As for TE's, to me if Mayer is there and our target is a TE, it would be hard to pass on him. He will be more like Gronk than Kelcie or Kettle.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Given the current state of the roster, my draftcfoow chart looks like this:

1) High end OT guy: Skoronski, Johnson, B. Jones, Wright. Likely gone by #28.
2) High end CB guy: Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter. Likely gone by #28.
3) High end pass rush guy: Van Ness, Kancey

I take all those guys or even higher rated ones before a TE if they fall to us (Carter, Anderson, Wilson, Murphy).

4) High end TE prospect: Mayer, Kincaid, Washington

If all those guys are gone, I switch my focus and go TE un round 2. Priority would be:

5) Offensive stud playmaker: Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Robinson, Johnston, Addison.
6) 2nd tier CB: Banks, Cam Smith, Forbes
7) 2nd tier DE/DT hybrid: Adebewore, maybe White or Tuipulotu
8) Stud at other spot: Branch, Bresee
9) Trade down

If I don't get a TE at #28, it is top of the board at #60. Musgrave, Laporta, Kraft.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 06:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My surprise is Washington will slide to us in round 2.

I think we will have a tough choice with pick#28. What do we do if:

Top 4 or 5 OT is available?

How about a top 4 CB?

Or a top 4 WR like Smith-Njigba?

I would take Smith-Njigba and then trade Boyd. But, that is only if the best slot receiver in this draft is available.

As for TE's, to me if Mayer is there and our target is a TE, it would be hard to pass on him. He will be more like Gronk than Kelcie or Kettle.

Would be really surprised if Washington fell all the way to us at 60 with his Combine performance but hey, am surprised every 
draft by someone falling I didn't expect. Not against adding Smith-Njigba at all to replace Boyd, nice thought. Mayer had nice 
production in college and I think he will be a good player in the NFL, but I don't see him being in any of those guy's realm....

Washington maybe...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be really surprised if Washington fell all the way to us at 60 with his Combine performance

I tend to agree. Even if he falls out of round 1 he's going early to mid round-2.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Would be really surprised if Washington fell all the way to us at 60 

Washington maybe...

I don't see that happening, if he's there at #28 and the Bengals want to give Joe Burrow the ultimate security blanket, you take him then or trade back a few spots for an additional pick.  Personally, I feel that once Washington is the featured TE in an offense, he's going to win every contested catch thrown his way, particularly down the sidelines or in the endzone for the next 10-12 years.  Oh, have you heard about his contributions in the blocking aspect of the game?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 03:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's not normally a premium position but I think any of the top three tight ends could be considered a premium pick because of the talent and depth.

I wouldn't be devastated if we take Mayer because I do think he'd legitimately upgrade our offense and I think he'd help in a lot of facets of the game. I feel the same way about Jahmyr Gibbs or Bijan Robinson. They're all very talented players and would make our team noticeably better in 2023 and beyond. If we do draft him, I hope you're right that he's an elite prospect that turns into a top 10 TE in the NFL. 

In fact, with how this tight end market has ended up, I think it's likely we take one of the 4 if they are there at 28. So I should probably get used to the idea now Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 02:44 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I tend to agree. Even if he falls out of round 1 he's going early to mid round-2.

If he is there at 28, I would trade back and hope we get Washington in round 2 or one of the other BPA's like Gibbs or one of the RT's.

Adding another pick and getting a top player would be fantastic.
Reply/Quote