Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we draft a TE, who do you want and when?
Dalton Kincaid has been cleared from injury and was in town for a visit today: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/12/utah-tight-end-dalton-kincaid-cleared-to-return-from-last-seasons-back-injury/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 04:02 PM)wcu Wrote: Dalton Kincaid has been cleared from injury and was in town for a visit today: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/12/utah-tight-end-dalton-kincaid-cleared-to-return-from-last-seasons-back-injury/

No way in hell he lasts to us at 28.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 05:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No way in hell he lasts to us at 28.

I’d bet money one of the guys we like last alll the way to our pick in the 3rd. Depending on how confident you are in Irv I’d be ok with not picking TE until that round if it meant we got a lineman and a running back with our 1st picks
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Doesn't fit either, highly doubt the Bengals draft a TE that cannot block. I understand Kincaid might be the best pass catching TE in this 
Draft but there are 2 parts to a TE and we even HAVE to have our WR's block well.

(04-12-2023, 06:22 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d bet money one of the guys we like last alll the way to our pick in the 3rd. Depending on how confident you are in Irv I’d be ok with not picking TE until that round if it meant we got a lineman and a running back with our 1st picks

Darnell Wright, Tyjae Spears and Josh Whyle would make me extremely happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't fit either, highly doubt the Bengals draft a TE that cannot block. I understand Kincaid might be the best pass catching TE in this 
Draft but there are 2 parts to a TE and we even HAVE to have our WR's block well.

Darnell Wright, Tyjae Spears and Josh Whyle would make me extremely happy.

Think we could get Whylie one round later but if those were the 1st 3 picks sign me up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't fit either, highly doubt the Bengals draft a TE that cannot block. I understand Kincaid might be the best pass catching TE in this 
L

I’ve said that all along about Kincaid. He’s more of a glorified receiver and I want a traditional tight end, even if they’re not AS COMMON because I think it would help us move the chains and make it tough for teams to stop us when they have to worry about a tight end up the seams and over the middle.
Reply/Quote

We can hope not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 08:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: We can hope not.

I'm not a huge fan, either.  Kincaid would effectively be a 4th receiver.  I'd rather have someone with some better capability in the blocking game.
Reply/Quote
If we are aiming at TE with our 1st pick, I'm all in for Washington (good blocker), Kincaid (not a good blocker) and Mayer (average blocker).
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on with Washington and Mayer. Good post WhoDeyK. Rock On

I will say Kincaid is a great Receiver, but that isn't what we need unless we are trying to replace Boyd with him and even then, Boyd is a 
better blocker. Musgrave is a better blocker than Kincaid and has a ton of talent, just no production. My top 3 TE's in this Draft are DW, MM
and Sam LaPorta. The dude I have with the highest upside besides DW is Josh Whyle with his size, athleticism and he can block and catch.

I don't usually disagree with Nate, but is Kelcy or Andrews top blocking TEs? 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 12:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't usually disagree with Nate, but is Kelcy or Andrews top blocking TEs? 

Are they even TEs? They both lead their teams in receiving, don't play special teams, and don't pass block.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 01:11 AM)puddycat Wrote: Are they even TEs? They both lead their teams in receiving, don't play special teams, and don't pass block.

You'd be surprised at how few snaps TEs actually take pass blocking.
The only TE with over 100 pass blocking snaps in the NFL past year was Parker Hesse, who had 111.
Most of the starter TEs pass block fewer than 60 snaps all year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 12:50 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't usually disagree with Nate, but is Kelcy or Andrews top blocking TEs? 

Both CAN block, I have seen them block well and Gronk was a fantastic blocker and why he is the GOAT at TE IMO.

They sure aren't an embarrassment when blocking like Kincaid is.

(04-14-2023, 01:11 AM)puddycat Wrote: Are they even TEs? They both lead their teams in receiving, don't play special teams, and don't pass block.

Yes, they are listed as TE's and line up a lot of the time next to O-linemen, hence TE's....

Also, helps with the money as TE's don't get paid as much as WR's.

(04-14-2023, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You'd be surprised at how few snaps TEs actually take pass blocking.
The only TE with over 100 pass blocking snaps in the NFL past year was Parker Hesse, who had 111.
Most of the starter TEs pass block fewer than 60 snaps all year.

Good stuff, still would like a TE to be able to block. Kincaid and his bad back concern me if he is the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both CAN block, I have seen them block well and Gronk was a fantastic blocker and why he is the GOAT at TE IMO.

They sure aren't an embarrassment when blocking like Kincaid is.

Yes, they are listed as TE's and line up a lot of the time next to O-linemen, hence TE's....

Also, helps with the money as TE's don't get paid as much as WR's.

Good stuff, still would like a TE to be able to block. Kincaid and his bad back concern me if he is the pick.

Fair, but I was mainly sharing what I did because TEs as a whole do not do much pass blocking. They far more often are involved with run blocking instead if they are blocking.
The Bengals TEs in particular only pass blocked 78 times. That includes Hurst, Wilcox, Asiasi, and Sample. Wilcox had the most pass blocks with 37.
Compare that to the run blocking counts - 591. The TE with the most run blocking snaps was also Wilcox at 285.

By comparison, here were the pass blocking snaps for Bengals RBs:
Perine - 66
Mixon - 64
Williams - 4
Evans - 2
-----------------
Total - 136

Among all RBs, Perine and Mixon were 11th and 12th when it comes to number of pass block snaps.
That shows just how much the Bengals want the RB to pass block.
Had the Bengals used the same RB instead of splitting between them, it would have put them 2nd among all RBs, with just Dalvin Cook having more (140).

So if we're looking to focus on blocking for both TEs and RBs for the Bengals, we should focus more on run blocking for TEs and pass blocking for RBs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, but I was mainly sharing what I did because TEs as a whole do not do much pass blocking. They far more often are involved with run blocking instead if they are blocking.
The Bengals TEs in particular only pass blocked 78 times. That includes Hurst, Wilcox, Asiasi, and Sample. Wilcox had the most pass blocks with 37.
Compare that to the run blocking counts - 591. The TE with the most run blocking snaps was also Wilcox at 285.

By comparison, here were the pass blocking snaps for Bengals RBs:
Perine - 66
Mixon - 64
Williams - 4
Evans - 2
-----------------
Total - 136

Among all RBs, Perine and Mixon were 11th and 12th when it comes to number of pass block snaps.
That shows just how much the Bengals want the RB to pass block.
Had the Bengals used the same RB instead of splitting between them, it would have put them 2nd among all RBs, with just Dalvin Cook having more (140).

So if we're looking to focus on blocking for both TEs and RBs for the Bengals, we should focus more on run blocking for TEs and pass blocking for RBs.

Great post Ocho and thanks for the numbers there. Sounds about right to me. Shouldn't have your TE's pass blocking often, I was 
more talking about run blocking anyways and screen blocking where even our WR's are asked to block a lot. Yeah, need a TE that can 
run block and a RB that can pass block for sure. Darnell Washington and Chase Brown are about the best at this at their respective
positions in this Draft.

Was surprised Trayveon only had 4 snaps pass blocking, I know I saw him make one great block on a blitz pickup last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Ocho and thanks for the numbers there. Sounds about right to me. Shouldn't have your TE's pass blocking often, I was 
more talking about run blocking anyways and screen blocking where even our WR's are asked to block a lot. Yeah, need a TE that can 
run block and a RB that can pass block for sure. Darnell Washington and Chase Brown are about the best at this at their respective
positions in this Draft.

Was surprised Trayveon only had 4 snaps pass blocking, I know I saw him make one great block on a blitz pickup last year.

The snap counts I got were from PFF.
What has never been explained by PFF is how they count when a player blocks first then goes out for a route.
I would assume that gets counted as a receiving snap, but I'm not sure.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 04:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The snap counts I got were from PFF.
What has never been explained by PFF is how they count when a player blocks first then goes out for a route.
I would assume that gets counted as a receiving snap, but I'm not sure.
Win now, Win now, protect Joe at all costs, we need 4 good wr's to get through the year and 2 good Te's, Washington all the way with trade down around 35, if OL does not hold up Washington chipping, run contribution, red zone hel, third and one or goal line run. Oh baby keep the defense off the field, close the game out.

LOL, still like Banks or a sack machine, its going to be a fun draft and year, stay healthy.
 (keep Tee and draft a WR stud Mingo or a burner)
Reply/Quote