Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bruce Arians calls for full-time officals
(03-28-2016, 11:33 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Working doesn't have to be just during the season, they aren't players and they can be working for the league in a different capacity during the off season.

I'm not sure you actually read my post before you quoted and commented on it.  I definitely spelled out that it was 22 weeks in the preseason, and regular season.  Yet I worked the numbers on a full time schedule of 40 hours a week for 50 weeks, not 22.  Leaving a 2 week vacation, as the entire year is comprised of 52 weeks.

As for working in a different capacity during the off season.  This is just creating something for them to do.  Aren't those jobs in a different capacity currently being done by other people?  To just invent something for each of them to do for 1200 plus hours a year during the off season, so we can all get the warm and fuzzies that they're full time officials is ridiculous.

I am 100% on board with making the refs accountable.  I just dont think coming up with "busy work" for 16 crews of 7 people, for 1200 hours each is going to accomplish what many want and are thinking it would.  

Specifically, what are these jobs in a different capacity that you have in mind?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 02:23 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Floor is around $78k a year and average is over $170k. If you're already paying them that much money there is really no reason to not make it a full time job even if it requires a good sized pay increase. They do a lot of different things during the week, but a lot of that is up to the individual so some strict guidelines about how much/what film they should watch should be set up that increases their time in the film room. 

Here's an article about everyone's favorite ref Ed. It shows there is plenty he does and even more he could be doing if he was full time.

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1248329.html

Thank you for the info on the wages, and the article on Ed Hochuli.  However the article only re-enforces my point.  As it stated in the article, this is the schedule for a typical NFL week.  Overall during the regular season, he works about 30 hours a week.  That is during the season, when he has to review game tapes, write letters to the league office etc.  What are they going to do for the 28 other weeks in the year when there isn't a game?  Review the tapes even more?  He said he reviews game tape for about 15 hours a week during the season.  I guess he should maybe review the same tapes again, and again, and again?  There are no games, thus no new tapes for them to review.  

What is there for them to do for 40 hours a week for 28 weeks when there aren't any games?  They only work 30 hours a week during the season when there are games.
Reply/Quote
Don't like it. If the NFL has created hours and hours of administration paper work, then that's where I'd start the cutting.

The rules aren't that freakin' complicated to understand, except where the NFL has created arbitrary meanings behind the scenes, like we have seen with crown of the helmet hits. But, if the rules are the rules, and are monitored as they are written, the only rule work the refs should have during the season is clearing up what they didn't get right before.

I'm all for younger, more in shape refs. But to believe that making the current refs full time employees is going to fix anything at all is a pipe dream.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote