Poll: If you could fire one assistant coach right now - mid season, who would it be?
OC Ken Zampese
QB Coach Bill Lazor
TE Coach Jonathan Hayes
RB Coach Kyle Caskey
OL Coach Paul Alexander
WR Coach James Urban
DC Paul Guenther
DL Coach Jacob Burney
LB Coach Jim Haslett
Secondary Coach Kevin Coyle
Stength & Conditioning Coach Chip Morton
Special Teams Coach Darrin Simmons
None
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could fire one assistant coach right now, who would it be?
(11-16-2016, 02:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Losing Reggie Nelson and Pacman's age catching up to him have to be factored in though. 

At least Kirkpatrick has actually taken a step forward this season. Ofc it's probably motivated by wanting to get paid.

I'm willing to bet that if Vance Joseph were still running the secondary, we would hardly notice that Reggie Nelson isn't on the team.  Last year, when Nelson was injured, Williams filled in and looked like a true up and comer.  Why do the Safeties play poorly this season?  It's not because their physical skills have suddenly vanished, it's the lack of a good coach.

As for Jones, we all knew that he was getting toward that "invisible cliff", with his advanced age.  However, we fans rationalized that Jones' body was somehow younger than his years, due to not playing for a couple of years.

Kirkpatrick is just a late developer.  The injuries that kept him sidelined much of his first two years really took a negative effect on his pro skill development.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
this was a coin toss for me between Coyle and HasLess ..

I went with Coyle purely on the basis that there is - I hope, I pray - more talent there to work with. so its issues are less acceptable to me than the LB's.

As for Hasless ...he's not had Burfict all year, and then he was out of shape, Dansby is just too old, Rey is steady , and rey m is injured. I get the feeling he's not a great fit with us but too be fair Burfict aside the LB group needs some serious injection of youth and talent
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Firing people just for the sake of change does not help anything.

Look at how long Whitworth has been here without winning a playoff game.  Were you saying we should have gotten rid of him also?  Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Dunlap are all 0-5 in playoffs.  Should we get rid of them also?

No, because they're good at their jobs.

Marvin and PA are on their 2nd group of talented core players. You don't know if change will work because we haven't made one in years. When's the last time we fired a coach? Brat? 

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: 72001346.jpg]

Pretty much as reliably true as BigSeph popping up in a McCarron thread.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, because they're good at their jobs.

And I juust posted a lot of information showing that PA is good at his job.

(11-16-2016, 02:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  You don't know if change will work because we haven't made one in years. When's the last time we fired a coach? Brat? 

WTF are you talking about?  We replaced a majority of the position coaches this season.  Plus we have had 2 different DCs and 3 different OCs in the last four years.

bengals have had as much, if not more, coaching turnover as any team in the league.
Reply/Quote
Alexander is the obvious choice, but I think we can make a case for Burney, Coyle or Haslett. All of those position groups were a lot better last year than this year. The significant drop in play can be attributed to poor coaching.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm willing to bet that if Vance Joseph were still running the secondary, we would hardly notice that Reggie Nelson isn't on the team.  Last year, when Nelson was injured, Williams filled in and looked like a true up and comer.  Why do the Safeties play poorly this season?  It's not because their physical skills have suddenly vanished, it's the lack of a good coach.

As for Jones, we all knew that he was getting toward that "invisible cliff", with his advanced age.  However, we fans rationalized that Jones' body was somehow younger than his years, due to not playing for a couple of years.

Kirkpatrick is just a late developer.  The injuries that kept him sidelined much of his first two years really took a negative effect on his pro skill development.

I gotta admit that I thought the loss of Nelson was showing because of his experience back there.....like a coach on the field.  However, you may have a valid point here.

DreK has really improved his game, it's the penalties he needs to clean up now.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I juust posted a lot of information showing that PA is good at his job.

WTF are you talking about?  We replaced a majority of the position coaches this season.  Plus we have had 2 different DCs and 3 different OCs in the last four years.

bengals have had as much, if not more, coaching turnover as any team in the league.

Those were mostly promotions, not firings.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I juust posted a lot of information showing that PA is good at his job.

We replaced them because they left. Not because they were bad coaches. Not hard to understand. 

Reply/Quote
If PA is soooooooooooooooooo good at his job, then why in his 20 years coaching this offensive line was he ever considered for a promotion by us or another team? Its not like Offensive Line coaches don't ever get promoted to Offensive Coordinators.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We replaced them because they left. Not because they were bad coaches. Not hard to understand. 

So would we not have to replace the coaches you want fired?

What difference does it make if they were fired or the left for other reasons?  I thought your point was that we don't know if change will work because we never change.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I gotta admit that I thought the loss of Nelson was showing because of his experience back there.....like a coach on the field.  However, you may have a valid point here.

DreK has really improved his game, it's the penalties he needs to clean up now.

There is a phrase that DBs like to use when questioned about penalties.  It goes something along the line of "Better to give up 15, than 6".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:38 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If PA is soooooooooooooooooo good at his job, then why in his 20 years coaching this offensive line was he ever considered for a promotion by us or another team? Its not like Offensive Line coaches don't ever get promoted to Offensive Coordinators.

His lack of promotion does not mean he is bad at what he does.

Monte Kiffen never got a head coaching gig, but that does not mean he was a bad DC.

Dick LeBeau never got another shot at HC after the Bengals let him go, but that does not mean he was a bad DC.

Mike Zimmer was a DC for 14 years before he got a shot as a HC.  That does not mean he was a bad DC.

Patriots had the same O-line coach for 13 years without a promotion, but that does not mean he was a bad O-line coach.

This argument is just another example of how people have to make up stuff and talk about things that never happened to come up with some reason to hate on Alexander.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His lack of promotion does not mean he is bad at what he does.

Monte Kiffen never got a head coaching gig, but that does not mean he was a bad DC.

Dick LeBeau never got another shot at HC after the Bengals let him go, but that does not mean he was a bad DC.

Mike Zimmer was a DC for 14 years before he got a shot as a HC.  That does not mean he was a bad DC.

Patriots had the same O-line coach for 13 years without a promotion, but that does not mean he was a bad O-line coach.

This argument is just another example of how people have to make up stuff and talk about things that never happened to come up with some reason to hate on Alexander.

Our Oline stinks, these are Paul's guys, therefor Paul stinks.

End Thread.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd fire Haslett immediately.

Thanks for showing how much you know.

Thanks for showing how much you know by having a man crush on Marvin Lewis.  I think you are in the minority if people who think you are intelligent, that minority would be 1 person as in you. 
Reply/Quote

1.PA WAS good at his job.
I see with my eyes, you perhaps see with your heart-nostalgia

2.Replacing coaches that leave of their own free will does not = firing inept coaches Wink
Reply/Quote
OK if firing PA because Fred deems him too good to fire for the great things he's done at O-Line.. Fire him for his crappy Assistant Head Coach ability.. he's had 0 playoff wins since becoming the assistant head coach.
Reply/Quote
On 2nd thought as it has been brought to my attention, Manager at Long John Silver's may be a little too much for Paul right now, I think maybe a good starter for him would be maybe head fry cook at White Castle, then we can see if he is ready for the big leagues.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd fire Haslett immediately.

Thanks for showing how much you know.

lol Fred ya seem on edge lately.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 01:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All of the hate for Alexander is ridiculous.  I would understand if people were just upset about how the O-line is playing this year, but many are acting like he should have been fired a long time ago.  The fact is that Paul Alexander is well respected around the league for his prowess in coaching pass protection.  In fact he was selected as the best O-line coach in the league by Sports Illustrated earlier this year.

[Image: 1e9win][Image: 1e9win.jpg]
Reply/Quote