Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you force your kids to root for the Bengals you suck
I work with kids for a living and this morning I had a whole house of Bengals fans tell me that the Bengals shouldn’t even be a team anymore

Bro these kids are age 12-18. THE FAILURE IS INFECTING THEM AS WELL. When I have kids of my own I’m going to think Long and hard about if I want to waste their lives like mine has been wasted watching the Bengals for almost 2 decades

This thread is a joke, but kinda not.......keep it lighthearted tho cause that’s my tone right now
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 04:02 AM)Housh Wrote: I work with kids for a living and this morning I had a whole house of Bengals fans tell me that the Bengals shouldn’t even be a team anymore

Bro these kids are age 12-18. THE FAILURE IS INFECTING THEM AS WELL. When I have kids of my own I’m going to think Long and hard about if I want to waste their lives like mine has been wasted watching the Bengals for almost 2 decades

This thread is a joke, but kinda not.......keep it lighthearted tho cause that’s my tone right now

Your failing to see the opportunity to make lemonade here. Take this chance given to you to explain teamwork and accountability. As a matter of fact; show them this picture and ask a simple question. How does the following picture relate to the Cincinnati Bengals?

[Image: boat.png]

I bet the conversation will lead to great opportunities to educate on an ever important life matter.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 08:33 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your failing to see the opportunity to make lemonade here. Take this chance given to you to explain teamwork and accountability. As a matter of fact; show them this picture and ask a simple question. How does the following picture relate to the Cincinnati Bengals?

[Image: boat.png]

I bet the conversation will lead to great opportunities to educate on an ever important life matter.

Agreed ..any Patriots following kid can lead a happy , balanced and optimistic life - there's no honour in that path.

Like my kids, allow them to follow the Bengals. 

They'll learn courage through adversity , team spirit and loyalty beyond the call of duty....or at the very least they'll understand why grown ups drink too much beer and swear like a castrated sailor on a sunday afternoon
Reply/Quote
I encourage every parent to allow their child to pick the team of his or her choice. The parent's allegiance or bitterness should not be a factor. However, keep in mind if the child sees the parent constantly complaining the he or she may grow up to do the same. Conversely if the child sees the parent enjoying the sport for what it is and not allow it to affect their overall outlook; the child may develop a healthy relationship with the sport.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I think if I had a child that wanted to be a Bengals fan I'd let them but I'd have to clarify that there's a good chance it will be a rough road.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 04:02 AM)Housh Wrote: I work with kids for a living and this morning I had a whole house of Bengals fans tell me that the Bengals shouldn’t even be a team anymore

They say the best lessons in life are learned through failure.  If that's the case Mike Brown would be the poster child for this slogan.

My kids are older and generally come back from school on Sunday evenings for dinner.  Just about every week the conversation comes up about whether or not the Bengals lost again (because like an idiot I always wear my Eifert jersey on Sunday).  Although, the Bengals have had some successful years recently my kids still think they suck.  And come to think of it for them they do because they've never witnessed a winner in their lifetimes.  Winner meaning a team winning something when it matters.

They don't even watch the games nor show an interest.  It's really sad because when I was their age in the 80's I loved the Bengals and it set a foundation for being a long-time fan.  My kids did not get this foundation and now could care less about the Bengals or really the NFL in general.

Worst part is I've become the joke at the Sunday dinner table.  It's always "why do you waste your time watching the Bengals, even if they win today they'll lose in the playoffs if they get there".  Kids are brutally honest.  Maybe I should listen and spend my Sunday afternoons doing something else.  Actually, I may start doing that because every time I look at Marvin it pisses me off.
Reply/Quote

They say the best lessons in life are learned through failure.  If that's the case Mike Brown would be the poster child for this slogan.

My kids are older and generally come back from school on Sunday evenings for dinner.  Just about every week the conversation comes up about whether or not the Bengals lost again (because like an idiot I always wear my Eifert jersey on Sunday).  Although, the Bengals have had some successful years recently my kids still think they suck.  And come to think of it for them they do because they've never witnessed a winner in their lifetimes.  Winner meaning a team winning something when it matters.

They don't even watch the games nor show an interest.  It's really sad because when I was their age in the 80's I loved the Bengals and it set a foundation for being a long-time fan.  My kids did not get this foundation and now could care less about the Bengals or really the NFL in general.

Worst part is I've become the joke at the Sunday dinner table.  It's always "why do you waste your time watching the Bengals, even if they win today they'll lose in the playoffs if they get there".  Kids are brutally honest.  Maybe I should listen and spend my Sunday afternoons doing something else.  Actually, I may start doing that because every time I look at Marvin it pisses me off.
Reply/Quote

Its funny you posted that because my 6 year old said to me, "Daddy my favorite team is the Patriots" I said, "Why not the Bengals like dad?" His response?  "Everyone knows that team does nothing but lose why would they be my favorite team?'
I said, "well its easy to like the best team..theres no challenge in that, it takes more from a person to root for a team like the Bengals" His final response? "Nice try dad Im not picking a loser team like the Bengals"

True convo with my 6 year old LOL
Reply/Quote

If you spend your time complain about what other people do with their kids... You suck
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 11:10 AM)GodFather Wrote: Its funny you posted that because my 6 year old said to me, "Daddy my favorite team is the Patriots" I said, "Why not the Bengals like dad?" His response?  "Everyone knows that team does nothing but lose why would they be my favorite team?'
I said, "well its easy to like the best team..theres no challenge in that, it takes more from a person to root for a team like the Bengals" His final response? "Nice try dad Im not picking a loser team like the Bengals"

True convo with my 6 year old LOL

Lol, did you have this conversation in the 90's? The Bengals have one of the best records over the last 7-8  years.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 01:05 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Lol, did you have this conversation in the 90's? The Bengals have one of the best records over the last 7-8  years.

Your wrong Bengals are #14 for best record in past 10 years, I would hardly call that one of the best. And no playoff wins at all?  I'd say my 6 year old is smarter than us...LOL

http://dailysnark.com/heres-every-nfl-teams-record-past-10-years-ranked-best-worst/
Reply/Quote
I like this thread and the different parenting styles which emerged. I would try to influence my son to follow the Bengals because it would be something else we had in common. Another topic to bring up to always keep us communicating, even if its not really that important on a life scale matter. Also, imo, someone who roots for an underdog usually displays deeper traits in a person than someone who always takes the easy way out and chooses the winner.

Reply/Quote
I didn't force or persuade my kids to be Bengals fans, but they did end up there.

I think a lot if it was them watching me on game days, especially my reactions. They would cheer when I cheered - even when they didn't know what the hell was happening LOL - and act mad when I was pissed. Over the years as they continued watching with me, they learned more about football and the Bengals, and now have their own reactions...which of late, has been "I've got better things to do with my Sunday afternoon".  Sad

My son still watches with me on occasion, but for the most part, it's just me and the old lady...and she's worse than me!  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I didn't force or persuade my kids to be Bengals fans, but they did end up there.

I think a lot if it was them watching me on game days, especially my reactions. They would cheer when I cheered - even when they didn't know what the hell was happening LOL - and act mad when I was pissed. Over the years as they continued watching with me, they learned more about football and the Bengals, and now have their own reactions...which of late, has been "I've got better things to do with my Sunday afternoon".  Sad

My son still watches with me on occasion, but for the most part, it's just me and the old lady...and she's worse than me!  Mellow

My dogs are scared to death of Sundays....they get up and leave the room....lol.  My two girls know I like "the tigers", but that's about it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: My dogs are scared to death of Sundays....they get up and leave the room....lol.  My two girls know I like "the tigers", but that's about it.

My dogs are always around at the start of each game... until I start yelling at the TV. LOL
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: My dogs are always around at the start of each game... until I start yelling at the TV. LOL

LMAO This is how it goes down around our place as well.  The ol lady often asks why I watch.....lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: LMAO This is how it goes down around our place as well.  The ol lady often asks why I watch.....lol.

I'm lucky, I guess, that my old lady is a big football fan and is pretty damn knowledgeable as well. She watches every game with me.

The problem is that she gets pissed off easier than me, she's much louder than me, and she's been know to throw things at the TV. 

OK, maybe I'm not so lucky.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm lucky, I guess, that my old lady is a big football fan and is pretty damn knowledgeable as well. She watches every game with me.

The problem is that she gets pissed off easier than me, she's much louder than me, and she's been know to throw things at the TV. 

Ha ha ha ha ha.....yeah, no bueno for the flat screen.  My wife is clueless, and has mentioned sitting down and me explaining the game to her.....but then.....Bengals happen, and she really doesn't want to be around, so she leaves with the dogs! Tongue

However, she WILL attend games with me, local college, high school, Bengals, etc.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: but then.....Bengals happen

Pretty much sums up the Bengals fan experience. :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm lucky, I guess, that my old lady is a big football fan and is pretty damn knowledgeable as well. She watches every game with me.

Yeah my wife is from the Bronx and a huge Giants fan. She scares me watching games!!!!
Reply/Quote