Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were the General Manager of the Cincinnati Bengals
If you were the General Manager of the Cincinnati Bengals what would be the Top 5 Things you would do right out of the gate?

Specifics Not just fire Marv, but if you fire him who would you replace him with etc...
Reply/Quote
I'd just keep running things the way they are so I can make the most money possible. I'd also give my family and friends jobs and none of us would have to worry about losing said jobs if we stunk at them.

Hey, I'm just being honest!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 06:21 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you were the General Manager of the Cincinnati Bengals what would be the Top 5 Things you would do right out of the gate?

Specifics Not just fire Marv, but if you fire him who would you replace him with etc...

Given the typical length of employment working for Mike Brown, I'd probably end up doing unspeakable things which cannot be described here, leaving me scarred for life. :giggle:
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 06:21 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you were the General Manager of the Cincinnati Bengals what would be the Top 5 Things you would do right out of the gate?

I would Franchise Tag Kirkpatrick and resign Zeitler and let the other free agents leave.  I would also try to dump Pacman Jones at over 7 mil.....and I would never again pay a Peerman a million and a Hewitt 2.5 million and they would be gone....I would cut away close to 40 mil in salaries and get some good players on this team.   That is where I would start. ...Getting rid of the over paid dead wood. 

I would keep Coach Lewis his last year, but on notice that it is win in 2017 or he is done.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
1. I would reduce the price of beer at the stadium to $2.00
2. Bags of hot peanuts would be $1.00
3. I would ban all Steeler fans and Steeler gear
4. Those monkeys riding dogs would always perform at halftime
5. The cheerleaders would be topless
Reply/Quote
1. I would be really nice to Mike Brown.
2. I would be really nice to Katie and Troy.
3. I would probably go drinking with Jim Haslett and whatever players and coaches he hangs with.
4. I would talk music with Paul Alexander and visit some o-line meetings.
5. I would try to live next door to the Daltons and have my wife pick their brains about babysitters, schools, etc., because they seem like great people.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
So many good ideas. So much substance. The football IQ of this thread is off of the charts. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 08:14 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: So many good ideas. So much substance. The football IQ of this thread is off of the charts. Mellow

Because everyone knows that as long as this team is run like a "family business", rather than a corporate NFL franchise, nothing will ever really change for the better.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Press the owner to build an indoor Practice Facility

Trade AJM to the Bear for Hroniss Grasu and Danny Trevathan or Draft Picks

Move Marvin to Director of Player Personnel and bring in Tim Krumrie as HC with new staff

Ensure we have a Sports psychologist on the Medical Staff

Trade our 1st RD to Cleveland For The 1st they own from Philly and the second they own from Tennessee.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
1. Not have a clue what to do having never worked in this industry ever before and blindy panic.
2. Have a drink or two in an effort to resolve step 1.
3, 4 & 5 are all currently in working progress at the moment whilst I complete Step 2!!!!

EDIT

Serious answer.

1. Franchise Dre K
2. Get working on a new long term deal with Dre K.
3. Attempt to work a deal with Big Z but if he wants to much money (DeCastro range)  then I'd probably let him walk.
4. Really push for the players to be engaged in local out-reach programmes around the area. I assume that some if not all already do but after the year the team has had I think some positive local press could start to build some fences.
5. Okay so I admit I'm not sure now. I don't know that I'd wannt start firing coaches at the drop of a hat without meeting with them and seeing if they have the same vision for the team going forwards as me or not.

But in all honest the joke answer would probably apply for at least 1-2 hours.
Reply/Quote
1.  Start testing the waters of potential HC candidates
2.  Make a list of each of the staff members on the payroll and grade their performance.  Figure out who is worth keeping.
3.  Assign a larger budget for scouts.  Look to employ world class talent.
4.  Assign a larger budget for medical/training staff.  Look to employ world class talent.
5.  Create a detailed plan for FA and cap management that examines each thinkable possibility and actions should be taken depending on how it all shakes out.  Look to plug the holes and retain talent.

Perfect example of making an incredibly difficult job sound easy ^
Tongue
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 08:09 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: 1. I would reduce the price of beer at the stadium to $2.00
2. Bags of hot peanuts would be $1.00
3. I would ban all Steeler fans and Steeler gear
4. Those monkeys riding dogs would always perform at halftime
5. The cheerleaders would be topless

You bring those god damn dog riding monkeys in and I am buying a psl!  

And let the monkeys ride out and collect the T after kick offs and maybe interfere with long plays by the opponent! "50 yard bomb to Antonio Brown...OH! He's taken down by the dog riding monkey! Too bad." 

oh! and get rid of beer guys. Let the monkeys ride out and deliver the beers.  

I'm pretty stoked about these monkeys and their possibilities.

And let them smoke! Smoking monkeys are AWESOME.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 09:31 PM)Burma Wrote: You bring those god damn dog riding monkeys in and I am buying a psl!  

And let the monkeys ride out and collect the T after kick offs and maybe interfere with long plays by the opponent! "50 yard bomb to Antonio Brown...oh! he's taken down by the dog riding money! too bad." 

oh! and get rid of beer guys. Let the monkeys ride out and deliver the beers.  

I'm pretty stoked about these monkeys and their possibilities.

And let them smoke! Smoking monkeys are AWESOME.

This a great post Burma!  And give that monkey a damn football and let him try to kick it!
Reply/Quote
1. Network with guys like Bill Parcells, Bill Polian, etc., pick their brain, get myself informed on what are the weaknesses of the current roster/schemes.
2. Identify a free agent DE who is able to play all three downs, provide decent run support, and rush the heck out of the passer ( I know these guys cost money so obviously will have to cut players off the roster like Tomato Pickle (that's Domata Peko for anyone who doesn't know who I'm talking about), Maualuga, etc. to find some money). Also identify the right DEs in the draft to develop.
3. Adjust the roster accordingly and try to get a coach who can cover up some of the weaknesses with a scheme.
4. Find an analytics person who works well with coach above to identify ways the team can take advantage of different spots on the field where potential points are being left off the board by the offense and potential points are being allowed by the defense. For example, if you look at the Baltimore game, I felt that simply by being aggressive at the right places/situations on the field, Baltimore gained a few points whereas the Bengals gave up a few points (which could make a difference in future games). Or the Giants game, where there needs to be more cohesion between coaches and players and a general culture of being prepared and confident in players that would have allowed the Bengals to try to get three points before the end of the first half
5. Practice facility for winter practice.
6. Marketing team to figure out how to make the Bengals more popular nationwide (other than obviously becoming consistent winners).

Edit:
7. Work closely with new coach to draft best player available for the most part
8. Talk the owner into adding ring of honor, etc. around the stadium so that when primetime games come around, the Bengals get some attention on TV (yes they're fluff in many ways, but it still makes the organization look good especially to casual fans).
9. Make it an environment where former players feel like family and visit around a lot more often.
Reply/Quote
1.Sell the naming rights to PBS and put the money towards a practice bubble.

2.Can Marvin. If he resigns willingly, offer him a gig in the scouting department.

3.Hire Josh McDaniels as HC. Give him full control of his coaching staff.

4.Release Adam Jones and Shawn Williams.

5.Trade AJ McCarron
Reply/Quote
Buckabeers!
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
1.) I would sign Dre Kirkpatrick long-term
2.) I would ask Whit if he wants to keep playing...if yes, sign him to a three-year contract after an open dialog with him and the coaching staff to determine the best course of action for him. Stay at LT one more year, then move to Guard would be my suggestion.
3.) Trade McCarron if able to secure a 2nd round selection or higher.
4.) Sign Terrelle Pryor as a FA after the season
5.) Fire Marvin Lewis, Hire Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, or Todd Haley (My top 3). New coach builds his own staff.

Spend every other waking minute in preparation for the draft.
Reply/Quote
Since you have to own the Bengals to be the GM, I will take some liberties...

1. Retain Marvin Lewis

2. Throw the fans a bone, and announce stadium renovation with a ring of honor.

3. Induct Marvin Lewis into the ring of honor... Solo.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 11:30 PM)jason Wrote: Since you have to own the Bengals to be the GM, I will take some liberties...

1. Retain Marvin Lewis

2. Throw the fans a bone, and announce stadium renovation with a ring of honor.

3. Induct Marvin Lewis into the ring of honor... Solo.
Whoops...

4. Build a practice bubble... My dime.

5. Cut or trade players at the whim of the fan base... Weekly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
First thing I would do is bring in a defensive minded head coach to get things back on track. Todd Bowles or Matt Patricia would be ideal. I would then give them the ability to manage their own personnel. If they decide any of the current coaches should stay then they stay. We still have talent that can be utilized on defense.

Second thing I would do is evaluate the roster. Too many has beens are on the team I would cut out the dead weight like Peko, Dansby, Jones and LaFell. I'd be looking to get a veteran through FA or trade to replace Peko. That's been the biggest flaw for the defense this year is the run defense. Along with Billings coming back and that other DT acquired that would give us a starting point to stopping the run again. I'd keep Dunlap and Johnson as the DEs and my focus would be on getting a true rotation again. We haven't seen a good rotation since Geathers retired and the current guys aren't cutting it. I'd love to add a pass rusher in one of the first 2 rounds of the draft maybe both if those were the BPA. I'd put Burfict on notice. You're one of the reasons your team loses the WC game and the way you respond is to come to play out of shape? After being suspended for 4 games too. That line needs to be drawn. The same way New England does that wouldn't fly there.

The biggest problems on offense is we suck in the redzone and the o-line is a mess. I would hope Whit would come back as the cornerstone to the o-line and a leader. I'd franchise tag him or give him a 2 year deal. I'd be actively looking for a new Center through all avenues. I'd be looking to bolster the o-line and let a competition play out in camp. I'd probably let Zeitler walk if he's going to want a crazy amount of money or maybe tag him until a solid replacement was waiting. I think the redzone problem gets taken care of with better coaching and more pocket time for Dalton. Green and Eifert are some of the best redzone weapons in the business.

The two biggest flaws with the Lewis regime imo is that there is too much loyalty to veteran players. It seems like a lot of young guys only get their shot when someone leaves through the off-season or someone gets injured. I appreciate not throwing a rookie to the wolves but the approach that Lewis takes is too extreme the other way. The second biggest flaw is not being aggressive enough and in some ways that ties in to the first flaw. At what point in this failure of a season is Marvin going to make a serious change to lineup? Week 16? His team is on the ropes of being eliminated from the post season and he's cool with lining Nugent up for extra points. It's like Brad St Lois all over again. That guy missed a number of snaps before we decided to cut him and that was years ago. So after all this time he's doing the same thing with Nugent.

Anyways there's my plan. Rock On
Reply/Quote