Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois?
(12-17-2020, 02:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Get ready to pay more taxes than you even make.

Don't you have a damn game to prepare for?  Don't give me any incentive, I'll crush you like a worm!   Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 04:56 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Don't you have a damn game to prepare for?  Don't give me any incentive, I'll crush you like a worm!   Ninja

If you say camel-toe.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 08:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you say camel-toe.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 11:35 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Never lived there, but visited a bunch.

Make sure on your way there to drive through Gary, Indiana.  Take your time and appreciate the scenery.  Definitely stop in a few places, grab some lunch, and maybe take a little stroll around the town.  You'll love it.

Edit: On second thought, just in case, please don't take this seriously.

I drove through Gary in 2017 on the way to Chicago to see a concert.  It was the closest thing to a modern ghost town that I ever want to see.  There were plenty of big buildings and typical urban scenery, but most of it was empty or boarded up.  The only live businesses I remember were a gas station, White Castle, and a car wash, and the car wash was questionable.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 07:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I drove through Gary in 2017 on the way to Chicago to see a concert.  It was the closest thing to a modern ghost town that I ever want to see.  There were plenty of big buildings and typical urban scenery, but most of it was empty or boarded up.  The only live businesses I remember were a gas station, White Castle, and a car wash, and the car wash was questionable.
If I remember, the carwash is mainly open so you can wash the blood out of your trunk.

Mellow 

I've never actually been there, but my best friend moved here from Gary when we were in high school in the 90s. I didn't know the guy yet but we had a class together. I asked where he was from and he said Gary, the murder capital of the country.

"So, what, that makes you tough?" I asked him.

He laughed and said "hell no, that's why we left."
Reply/Quote
Leaving tomorrow to meet with a real estate guy in Metropolis, IL. We're going to look at 8 houses. Let you all know how things turn out after we get back.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 10:22 PM)Benton Wrote: If I remember, the carwash is mainly open so you can wash the blood out of your trunk.

Mellow 

I've never actually been there, but my best friend moved here from Gary when we were in high school in the 90s. I didn't know the guy yet but we had a class together. I asked where he was from and he said Gary, the murder capital of the country.

"So, what, that makes you tough?" I asked him.

He laughed and said "hell no, that's why we left."

Hammond's cool, too! (We lived in Valparaiso for a couple of years).

Southern Illinois is pretty country. I used to go on the run to Dexter,  MO. Good barbecue there. At Sikeston, mo is a restaurant called Lambert's,  worth a small drive. They literally throw rolls at you. You'll be stuffed when you leave!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 10:22 AM)SladeX Wrote: Hammond's cool, too! (We lived in Valparaiso for a couple of years).

Southern Illinois is pretty country. I used to go on the run to Dexter,  MO. Good barbecue there. At Sikeston, mo is a restaurant called Lambert's,  worth a small drive. They literally throw rolls at you. You'll be stuffed when you leave!
We stop at lambert's some when my daughter has games in STL. If youre looking for good bbq in the stl area, try beastcraft in belleville. Some of the beast brisket I've ever had. The brussel sprouts are really good too.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 04:55 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We both live on a fixed income.  And we'll be shopping in Paducah.  Our water bill is more than $30.00 anyway.

I remember you talking about your boy.  Scary shit!

Just found out my Brother-in-law's aunt has a homestead in a place called Grand Rivers. We plan on taking a trip down there once Covid clears.  She says there's a restaurant there famous for 2" Pork Chops
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just found out my Brother-in-law's aunt has a homestead in a place called Grand Rivers. We plan on taking a trip down there once Covid clears.  She says there's a restaurant there famous for 2" Pork Chops

You have to slice the slice? Keep us posted...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just found out my Brother-in-law's aunt has a homestead in a place called Grand Rivers. We plan on taking a trip down there once Covid clears.  She says there's a restaurant there famous for 2" Pork Chops

That would be pattis 1880s settlement. I own a small hunting farm right next to there. The original restaurant burnt a couple years ago. They rebuilt, it's good but not as good.

It's about the only thing to do in livingston county. Famous for the pork chop and Christmas lights. The chop is ok, but the steak Oscar is better.

Best boatsinker pie I've ever had.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:51 PM)Benton Wrote: That would be pattis 1880s settlement. I own a small hunting farm right next to there. The original restaurant burnt a couple years ago. They rebuilt, it's good but not as good.

It's about the only thing to do in livingston county. Famous for the pork chop and Christmas lights. The chop is ok, but the steak Oscar is better.

Best boatsinker pie I've ever had.

That's near the dam is it not?  Been by there many times.  On a sadder note, the deal on our house fell through, so we're not moving.  At least not right now.   Sad  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 03:15 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That's near the dam is it not?  Been by there many times.  On a sadder note, the deal on our house fell through, so we're not moving.  At least not right now.   Sad  

Two dams, as a matter of fact. It's in a little down called grand rivers, which is technically an island.

Sorry to hear about the house. Hang in there
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 03:16 AM)Benton Wrote: Two dams, as a matter of fact. It's in a little down called grand rivers, which is technically an island.

Sorry to hear about the house. Hang in there

Thanks man.  Just wasn't the right time.
Reply/Quote

(01-09-2021, 06:47 PM)SladeX Wrote: You have to slice the slice? Keep us posted...

Actually was there today, but didn't eat at Patti's. I did eat at a place called Thirsty Turtle; great ambiance. The town is really interesting. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 11:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I lived in northern Indiana for a bit like a hundred years ago in my youth and went to boot camp at Great Lakes/Chicago.

I spent 50 years one winter at Great Lakes Naval Training.. The blizzard of 77..  Ever march on 4 feet of snow packed down to a quarter inch when it's 49 below zero? I can't even begin to describe just how much fun that is.. Just the curvature of the earth alone is enough to make your body slide sideways on it. 
My very first memory there was revile @ 4am.. it came over the loud speakers.. REVILE, REVILE! IT'S A BALMY 49 BELOW OUTSIDE!  It never got even a tiny bit better..until I became a regular citizen again and no longer property of Uncle Samuel..  Anyone who ever said navy boot camp makes a man of you missed the part about making you hate anything cold. Lol
I even got to meet Captain Henderson..and not under ideal circumstances..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 07:25 AM)grampahol Wrote: I spent 50 years one winter at Great Lakes Naval Training.. The blizzard of 77..  Ever march on 4 feet of snow packed down to a quarter inch when it's 49 below zero? I can't even begin to describe just how much fun that is.. Just the curvature of the earth alone is enough to make your body slide sideways on it. 
My very first memory there was revile @ 4am.. it came over the loud speakers.. REVILE, REVILE! IT'S A BALMY 49 BELOW OUTSIDE!  It never got even a tiny bit better..until I became a regular citizen again and no longer property of Uncle Samuel..  Anyone who ever said navy boot camp makes a man of you missed the part about making you hate anything cold. Lol
I even got to meet Captain Henderson..and not under ideal circumstances..

I lived in Eau Claire, WI that Winter. Rough stuff, brother, and all I had to do was wait for the school bus! Damn a bunch of training.
The next Winter was worse. Then we moved to Arkansas for the big heat wave/ drought.  The ground was literally turning to sand before our eyes...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote