Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im not sure how you can justify NOT trading Mccarron at this point
The guy isn't going to be starting for us (face it, he's not) and he could possibly return a first or second round draft pick. This team needs all the talent it can get.

If the Bengals don't try to trade him then they are fools.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
He is gone after next year regardless, so I would think they take the best possible offer going into next year's draft. He put up some good tape and this team has a lot of holes to fill. I would think a third, or possibly second round pick, but not a first.
Reply/Quote
Agreed been saying it all a long.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The guy isn't going to be starting for us (face it, he's not) and he could possibly return a first or second round draft pick. This team needs all the talent it can get.

If the Bengals don't try to trade him then they are fools.

I agree.....we have too many other holes and needs.....back up QBs are a dime a dozen and we can always get one of those. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:33 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Agreed been saying it all a long.

Same here but thought we shoulda traded him last offseason when his value was higher. Although the bright side of being out of the playoff picture at this point is we can get him into some games to get more tape out there and hopefully improve his value. A smart team would do that anyway, pick the best matchup for him the rest of the way and start preparing him for that start right now. Then have Dalton sit with an "illness" and give mccarron the best shot to succeed....or we could Waite for this o line to get andy killed then it won't be a decision 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I agree.....we have too many other holes and needs.....back up QBs are a dime a dozen and we can always get one of those. 

Nobody cares if your backup QB is any good when you suck so yeah, time to move him
Reply/Quote
We missed the moment. Had to turn down big offer from Zimmer because didn't have a plan if we traded McCarron, then forced to pick up 3rd qb off of waiver and keep him on the roster so that we wouldn't be caught flat footed again. A deal like that won't come again.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Same here but thought we shoulda traded him last offseason when his value was higher. Although the bright side of being out of the playoff picture at this point is we can get him into some games to get more tape out there and hopefully improve his value. A smart team would do that anyway, pick the best matchup for him the rest of the way and start preparing him for that start right now. Then have Dalton sit with an "illness" and give mccarron the best shot to succeed....or we could Waite for this o line to get andy killed then it won't be a decision 

If you're trying to increase his value, the last thing you do is put him out there behind this offensive line and no A.J. Green or Gio Bernard. He put up his best tape last year.  There is nothing to be gained from a trade perspective by playing him now.
Reply/Quote
I was all for trading him last season but everyone wanted to pretend like a back up QB was a big deal. The reality is when your starter goes down you are screwed, bottom line. (minus Prescott). The time to trade him was last year, but now a year deeper into his contract getting a 3rd or 4th for him would be a good move. Moral of the story you don't plan for Armageddon in a win now league, you move your surpluses to fix holes and you swing for the fence because things can change quickly.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: If you're trying to increase his value, the last thing you do is put him out there behind this offensive line and no A.J. Green or Gio Bernard. He put up his best tape last year.  There is nothing to be gained from a trade perspective by playing him now.

Fair point, with this offense it would be a risk. That said the longer he goes without playing time the more his value drops. I don't think we'd get the high draft pick we want at this point, maybe a 4th rounder. I believe Jim O said about the same when asked a few weeks ago. At that point I think it's worth the risk, just make sure you have a damn good game plan and give him plenty of time to prepare
Reply/Quote
I doubt that any teams have offered a 1st Round draft pick for him. If they had, he would have been traded.

Generally the teams that need a QB have very high picks too...
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:46 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Fair point, with this offense it would be a risk. That said the longer he goes without playing time the more his value drops. I don't think we'd get the high draft pick we want at this point, maybe a 4th rounder. I believe Jim O said about the same when asked a few weeks ago. At that point I think it's worth the risk, just make sure you have a damn good game plan and give him plenty of time to prepare

His top value would definitely have been last year when guys like Osweiler were getting $80 million deals.
Reply/Quote
If macaroni gets traded, the most we will get is a 3rd rounder. A 4th wouldn't surprise me. That's probably why Mac is still a Bengal. Fans have overestimated his value. People keep talking about his "good tape" but I'm not sure he showed much last year. He was managed very carefully in his starts, averaged 160 yards, took no deep shots, and looked oblivious in the pocket.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If macaroni gets traded, the most we will get is a 3rd rounder. A 4th wouldn't surprise me. That's probably why Mac is still a Bengal. Fans have overestimated his value. People keep talking about his "good tape" but I'm not sure he showed much last year. He was managed very carefully in his starts, averaged 160 yards, took no deep shots, and looked oblivious in the pocket.

Agreed. For a team to trade a 1st or 2nd Round pick...they'd have to think that he'd be the face of their franchise. McCarron doesn't have the strongest arm in the world.

If I were a GM, I'd likely take a shot at a QB in the 1st Round over him.
Reply/Quote
I think many of you are underestimating just how hard it is to find a decent QB in the NFL. Have you seen the contracts that some of these QBs in the league are getting? Kapernick, Bradford, etc. Hell, Kirk Cousins is making 20 million dollars this year.

This league is starved for good quarterback play. AJ showed flashes that he he is a quarterback capable of building a team around. I wouldn't accept anything other than at least a second round pick for him and I would be really surprised if they Bengals couldn't get a low first for him.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. For a team to trade a 1st or 2nd Round pick...they'd have to think that he'd be the face of their franchise. McCarron doesn't have the strongest arm in the world.

If I were a GM, I'd likely take a shot at a QB in the 1st Round over him.

Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Paxton Lynch all went in the first round this year. You really don't think AJ has a chance of being better or just as good as those guys? 

When he filled in for Andy last year he was playing at a level just as comparable as how they have played this year if not better. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think they will get a 1st but if they can snag a 2nd or 3rd they have to do it. Too many holes to fill other than back-up QB. I wish we had the luxury of keeping him.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, and Paxton Lynch all went in the first round this year. You really don't think AJ has a chance of being better or just as good as those guys? 

When he filled in for Andy last year he was playing at a level just as comparable as how they have played this year if not better. 

I don't.

If you put AJ Green on a team with Goff, Wentz, or Lynch...they're a lot better. Plus, it's not like McCarron was passing for 300+ yards in his starts here.

Plus, those guys are 22 and Wentz is 23. McCarron is 26.

Those guys are also new to their system. McCarron has been in this system for a few years and had the chance to learn it.

I think those guys all have stronger arms and more physical talent. You're talking about guys picked at the top half of the draft versus what a 6th Round pick in McCarron?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think many of you are underestimating just how hard it is to find a decent QB in the NFL. Have you seen the contracts that some of these QBs in the league are getting? Kapernick, Bradford, etc. Hell, Kirk Cousins is making 20 million dollars this year.

This league is starved for good quarterback play. AJ showed flashes that he he is a quarterback capable of building a team around. I wouldn't accept anything other than at least a second round pick for him and I would be really surprised if they Bengals couldn't get a low first for him.

I think Cousins is in a different stratosphere than McCarron. Bradford is definitely better, and Kaep was coming off a SB appearance. McCarron couldn't even get anything going with guys like Green and Eifert at his disposal. Like I said, 160 yards per game, no deep shots and looked oblivious in the pocket.

Putting Mac in the same category with even these guys you mention is a huge compliment to Mac. Maybe he could actually be better than these guys, but you can't tell me that based on anything we saw last year. It's just wishful thinking.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Cousins is in a different stratosphere than McCarron. Bradford is definitely better, and Kaep was coming off a SB appearance. McCarron couldn't even get anything going with guys like Green and Eifert at his disposal. Like I said, 160 yards per game, no deep shots and looked oblivious in the pocket.

Putting Mac in the same category with even these guys you mention is a huge compliment to Mac.

Plus, once there is game film on him...defenses will adjust to stop him.

I know he has one pretty glaring weakness and that is arm strength. That's pretty big in the Pros.
Reply/Quote