Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importance of Special Teams
Can't be overstated. They need to control the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If tate returns most of the kicks, that's going to be a problem
Reply/Quote
Yes. Huber needs to pin punts and Adam Jones has got to run back, I don't care how old he is or what he's doing on defense anymore - it's the playoffs, and Tate can be expected to produce nothing or worse more often than not. You're going home anyway if you lose this game. 

And that finally leaves us to Nugent, he will likely need to can every FG attempt he has.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 01:55 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: If tate returns most of the kicks, that's going to be a problem

I would bet that's who we will see back there.
Reply/Quote
I would think we see more of #24 back there... It's the playoffs, and field position will be key in all of our games
Reply/Quote
Speaking of special teams, who knew the Ravens had a weapon in Koch. Maybe I missed that, but he was killin us with those punts last Sunday.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Huber can do the same thing tomorrow night.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 01:54 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Can't be overstated. They need to control the field.

So glad this topic has been brought up...  Past few games seems like our field position has not been the best!!  Especially with back up QB...  which plays were limited but even more so with the field position we have had recently...  I noticed this!!  A few time if Andy was in there I am thinking different play selection would have been called.  I really believe we need to flip the field position as much as possible....  If we have them in their own 20 we have to contain Brown from beating us downfield...  AND FOR PETE'S SAKE WHOMEVER PETE IS................  STOP 3RD DOWN CONVERSIONS......

GREAT POST MAN!!  WHO DEY!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:17 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: I would think we see more of #24 back there... It's the playoffs, and field position will be key in all of our games

I agree.  we'll see #24 for punt returns and Tate for kick-off returns.  I'd be good with that.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Speaking of special teams, who knew the Ravens had a weapon in Koch. Maybe I missed that, but he was killin us with those punts last Sunday.

That's why he is always a Pro Bowler.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 01:55 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yes. Huber needs to pin punts and Adam Jones has got to run back, I don't care how old he is or what he's doing on defense anymore - it's the playoffs, and Tate can be expected to produce nothing or worse more often than not. You're going home anyway if you lose this game. 

And that finally leaves us to Nugent, he will likely need to can every FG attempt he has.

Agree re: Jones..he's a threat and there's no point in saving him in the playoffs. He sometimes tries to return it when maybe he should'nt but the reward / risk is so great lets cut him loose!

As for Tate I just want him to fair catch and get the hell back to the sidelines as soon as possible : he'll probably take it to the house now :) 

As for Nuge...I'm praying there's no key 50+ yarder. I know he got that long one in Indy last wild card but that was inside.

Lets also hope that Dunlap / Hunt put some pressure on their FG's too...one blocked kick could be the difference WHODEY!!
Reply/Quote
I will be absolutely shocked if you don't see Jones on some punt and kick returns.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 01:55 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: If tate returns most of the kicks, that's going to be a problem

Tate ranks 17th out of 40 kick returners and better than anyone Steelers have out there  and has zero fumbles lost this year both kickoffs and punts.  As far as a team.. here is a link that ranks Bengals 9th cross the board on special teams and factors in some interesting variables.  Steelers are 18th.

I don;t want Jones on kickoffs unless 4th quarter and we are behind or close.  Punts I would be selective... for same reason Steelers have become selective with Brown.. both are too valuable in their normal position.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 03:37 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Agree re: Jones..he's a threat and there's no point in saving him in the playoffs. He sometimes tries to return it when maybe he should'nt but the reward / risk is so great lets cut him loose!

As for Tate I just want him to fair catch and get the hell back to the sidelines as soon as possible : he'll probably take it to the house now :) 

As for Nuge...I'm praying there's no key 50+ yarder. I know he got that long one in Indy last wild card but that was inside.

Lets also hope that Dunlap / Hunt put some pressure on their FG's too...one blocked kick could be the difference WHODEY!!

Did you forget about the 50+ Nug had against Denver to tie the game ... that was a pressure kick
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 03:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Did you forget about the 50+ Nug had against Denver to tie the game ... that was a pressure kick

50+ in Denver is like 40 in Cincinnati. Matt Prater hit a 64 yarder in Denver in 2013.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 03:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tate ranks 17th out of 40 kick returners and better than anyone Steelers have out there  and has zero fumbles lost this year both kickoffs and punts.  As far as a team.. here is a link that ranks Bengals 9th cross the board on special teams and factors in some interesting variables.  Steelers are 18th.

I don;t want Jones on kickoffs unless 4th quarter and we are behind or close.  Punts I would be selective... for same reason Steelers have become selective with Brown.. both are too valuable in their normal position.

Even if you say "out of 40", that still means he's below 16 people, which means below 16 teams, which means bottom half of the league.

Besides, that's just for total return yards. If you look at the top 20 yardage KR guys, Brandon Tate has the 19th average.

Just like how out of the 24 qualified PR, Branton Tate has the 22nd average at 6.6 yards. Adam Jones has more yardage in 16 PR than Tate does in 27 PR.

Every year people try to use accumulative stats to make Tate look better, but he only gets those stats because no other team would keep running him out there so he can muff catches, make freaking awful decisions, and run backwards. Tate is Turrible.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 03:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tate ranks 17th out of 40 kick returners and better than anyone Steelers have out there  and has zero fumbles lost this year both kickoffs and punts.  As far as a team.. here is a link that ranks Bengals 9th cross the board on special teams and factors in some interesting variables.  Steelers are 18th.

Wow. Totally shocked about Tate. Crazy. He seems HORRIBLE to me. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 01:54 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Can't be overstated. They need to control the field.

For damn sure. Peerman needs to be the man he has been and the others need to follow in his footsteps
on covering Kicks and especially Punts when Antonio Brown is back there.

We need Adam to go back for some Returns when he is not tired. He can single handedly blow a game
wide open. Use Adam as a Returner in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 07:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For damn sure. Peerman needs to be the man he has been and the others need to follow in his footsteps
on covering Kicks and especially Punts when Antonio Brown is back there.

We need Adam to go back for some Returns when he is not tired. He can single handedly blow a game
wide open. Use Adam as a Returner in the Playoffs.

flag.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 07:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: flag.

Get that shit off the field. Whatever
Reply/Quote