Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor interview on new Peter Schrager/Todd McVay podcast “Flying Coach”
(06-11-2021, 11:50 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I feel like McVay is constantly doing his best Jon Gruden impression. They sound dead on alike

Is that his real voice? I just now listened to the podcast and you are spot on. I feel like McVay didn’t always sound like that though…
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 12:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hey, Puff Daddy has been pretty successful, as has Sean McVay.

Unfortunately, we have the Rebecca Black of coaching.

Again, he's now without deserved criticism, but give me a break.

Rebecca Black literally cannot sing (well, maybe now she can, but I wouldn't know) and was a Bieber fanboy, whose mother paid money to a shady company, to produce a POS song and just as shitty video.

Zac is not only not close to the worst coach in history, but he has a pedigree and plenty of experience in the realm of football; he didn't pay his way to professionals, to do shit for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1.) Zac is not only not close to the worst coach in history, 2.) but he has a pedigree and plenty of experience in the realm of football; he didn't pay his way to professionals, to do shit for him.

1.) Actually he's very close to the worst coach of all time.  I refer you to this list for proof:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

If you really play dive into that list you'll see he's in the running.  You'll notice that many people below him in win totals coached less games and have higher winning percentages. 

In fact, if you sort the list by winning % with a qualifying minimum amount of games it will remove a number of coaches.  Zac's percentage would put him 188 out of 189, right behind Hue Jackson.  You wanna know who's last?  Bert Bell, who coached from 1936-1941.

So, I won't argue he's the worst coach of all time.  That's hard to judge.  But for you to say he's not even close?  I take exception to that statement.

2.) I would like you to define both "pedigree" and "plenty of experience".  Because these descriptions lead me to believe "this guy's got a helluva resume."  In reality though?  Not so much.  He had a couple stops as an assistant QB coach, and an assistant WR coach.  He also spent one year at Cincinnati as OC, where the offense ranked 123th out of 128 FBS teams.

C'mon dude.  As of right now, Zach Taylor is among the worst head coaches the NFL has ever seen.  That may change.  I hope it does.  But this is true.  He also absolutely does not have a pedigree or a level of experience that is worth holding up as some sort of grand accompishment.  Because if that's the case, then every single coach in the league has a pedigree and experience.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Again, he's now without deserved criticism, but give me a break.

Rebecca Black literally cannot sing (well, maybe now she can, but I wouldn't know) and was a Bieber fanboy, whose mother paid money to a shady company, to produce a POS song and just as shitty video.

Zac is not only not close to the worst coach in history, but he has a pedigree and plenty of experience in the realm of football; he didn't pay his way to professionals, to do shit for him.

Just replace Friday with New Dey lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 01:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is that his real voice? I just now listened to the podcast and you are spot on. I feel like McVay didn’t always sound like that though…

I don't recall him sounding that way either, sounds like an impersonation almost.  
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2021, 09:31 PM)jason Wrote: He definitely gets Joe Mixon to run into a wall.

Best answer ever. I’m not worthy...
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 01:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For me, it comes down to blocking. We haven't done much of it since he's been here. I've seen some aggressive and good play calls get blown up with piss poor blocking. Has he fixed that? We'll soon see, and if he has, I think we'll see a pretty good offense.

...and don’t forget piss poor tackling. I’ve seen Christmas presents better wrapped up than ball carriers. The defense can’t find a turnover in a bakery window either.

You’re right as usual: Success in football still comes down to trenches and benches. The team which blocks and tackles the best and has the deepest roster will typically go furthest in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The McVay podcast aside, I don't know how Zac Taylor has not won more games and been a better play caller.

When he talks football it is clear the guy knows his shit. I just don't understand, hopefully everything comes together
for him and us this season. It better or we need to move on.

knowing how to

And being able to Do

Arent the same.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 01:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: knowing how to

And being able to Do

Arent the same.

True, hope he can learn to be able to win. Having better players in the trenches should help big time.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: For me, it comes down to blocking. We haven't done much of it since he's been here. I've seen some aggressive and good play calls get blown up with piss poor blocking. Has he fixed that? We'll soon see, and if he has, I think we'll see a pretty good offense.

My only take on this Wyche is Zac knew what kind of offensive line he had in year 1 and in year 2 and he knew the type of coach he had coaching those offensive lines.  If Zac thought the blocking was piss poor dont you think he would've fired Turner after Year 1?  

I mean hell he should've been fired half ways into year 2 when Burrrows knee got blown out by his craptastic offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 02:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Actually he's very close to the worst coach of all time.  I refer you to this list for proof:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

If you really play dive into that list you'll see he's in the running.  You'll notice that many people below him in win totals coached less games and have higher winning percentages. 

In fact, if you sort the list by winning % with a qualifying minimum amount of games it will remove a number of coaches.  Zac's percentage would put him 188 out of 189, right behind Hue Jackson.  You wanna know who's last?  Bert Bell, who coached from 1936-1941.

So, I won't argue he's the worst coach of all time.  That's hard to judge.  But for you to say he's not even close?  I take exception to that statement.

2.) I would like you to define both "pedigree" and "plenty of experience".  Because these descriptions lead me to believe "this guy's got a helluva resume."  In reality though?  Not so much.  He had a couple stops as an assistant QB coach, and an assistant WR coach.  He also spent one year at Cincinnati as OC, where the offense ranked 123th out of 128 FBS teams.

C'mon dude.  As of right now, Zach Taylor is among the worst head coaches the NFL has ever seen.  That may change.  I hope it does.  But this is true.  He also absolutely does not have a pedigree or a level of experience that is worth holding up as some sort of grand accompishment.  Because if that's the case, then every single coach in the league has a pedigree and experience.  

Wes this is an amazing response.  Listen I want Zac to succeed because if he succeeds I won't be looking forward to NCAA basketball by the end of the NCAA football season like I typically am.  I mean the last 5 years have been tragic.  

However, I completely agree with everything you said above.  Bravo!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 11:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and don’t forget piss poor tackling.  I’ve seen Christmas presents better wrapped up than ball carriers.  The defense can’t find a turnover in a bakery window either.

You’re right as usual: Success in football still comes down to trenches and benches. The team which blocks and tackles the best and has the deepest roster will typically go furthest in the playoffs.

.....yes tackling has been atrocious as well. The bench has been bad also. This has been a bad team for about 5 years now. The last two have been the bottom.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 05:45 PM)TJ528 Wrote: My only take on this Wyche is Zac knew what kind of offensive line he had in year 1 and in year 2 and he knew the type of coach he had coaching those offensive lines.  If Zac thought the blocking was piss poor dont you think he would've fired Turner after Year 1?  

I mean hell he should've been fired half ways into year 2 when Burrrows knee got blown out by his craptastic offensive line. 

As to the personnel, I hold the FO more accountable than the staff, because they saddled Marvin with that shit too.  

Now as for Turner, absolutely agree, he should've canned him at least midway through last season.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 05:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: As to the personnel, I hold the FO more accountable than the staff, because they saddled Marvin with that shit too.  

Now as for Turner, absolutely agree, he should've canned him at least midway through last season.

I think they started sidelining Turner second half last season. Didn't they have him in the booth and Ben Martin on the side-line with the players at one stage?

Obviously appointing a new O-line coach is something to do at the end of the season when you can approach coaches like Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2021, 10:48 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think they started sidelining Turner second half last season. Didn't they have him in the booth and Ben Martin on the side-line with the players at one stage?

Obviously appointing a new O-line coach is something to do at the end of the season when you can approach coaches like Pollack.

You may be right about that in your first paragraph, I honestly don't know. If that's what they did, it's kinda good to see it. At least they recognized the error.

Good point in the second paragraph. I guess my thoughts there would be use Ben for the remainder of the season if you can him, then get your man. I'm glad it worked out the way it did in the end.

Reply/Quote