Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improved DL and LB Play
I was in the camp of we need to add a Wright type player to the LB mix. But, I also thought the addition of Hendrickson plus Reader back would help our DL be much better.

Yes, only 3 games, but Wilson seems to be everywhere. Pratt has played well as have others at LB. The DL rotation has been stout. I loved the way the Bengals tackled yesterday, hard clean hitting with multiple guys swarming to the ball.

Who predicted our LB's would take this huge leap in 2021? I admit it, I did not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I have always said I really liked the potential of our young LBs.

Last year I predicted that Pratt would have a breakout year because he looked so good the last 4 games of '19. That didn't happen, but I still like his potential.

I did not make any hard predictions about ADG and Wilson, but I said many times that I really liked their potential. In fact I still think Bailey could develop into a good NFL LB, but he is just buried on the depth charts right now.

And the big thing to remember is that our DTs last year were horrible. Just as bad as our OGs. This year we have one of the better DT duos in the league in Reader and Ogunjobi. And that is not just subjective fanboy judgement. The numbers show that in '18-'19 Ogunjobi and Reader were two of the most productive DTs in the league. Those two, along with the rest of the D-line, are one of the main reasons the LBs are looking so good.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always said I really liked the potential of our young LBs.  

Last year I predicted that Pratt would have a breakout year because he looked so good the last 4 games of '19.  That didn't happen, but I still like his potential.

I did not make any hard predictions about ADG and Wilson, but I said many times that I really liked their potential.  In fact I still think Bailey could develop into a good NFL LB, but he is just buried on the depth charts right now.

And the big thing to remember is that our DTs last year were horrible.  Just as bad as our OGs.  This year we have one of the better DT duos in the league in Reader and Ogunjobi.  And that is not just subjective fanboy judgement.  The numbers show that in '18-'19 Ogunjobi and Reader were two of the most productive DTs in the league.  Those two, along with the rest of the D-line, are one of the main reasons the LBs are looking so good.

Great points Fred. No doubt DL make LB's look better as they don't allow OL to get to the next level. and block LB's.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Defensive line improvement = money and a trade
Linebacker improvement = young players stepping up and improving.

As a casual lover of football could one of your couch professors tell me how Davis-Gaither has been doing. And what about that Purdue kid? Wilson’s been the splashiest of our linebackers so it’s been easier to notice his improvement.
Reply/Quote
The growth of Pratt and especially Wilson have had a big impact.
The additions of Ogunjobi and Hill, along with the return of Tupou, have really boosted this DL.

With that said, the Bengals are spending the 3rd-most cap this year towards defense, so I don't know how long that will be sustainable.
They'll have 3 DL set to hit FA after this season though, so I'd imagine they'll only keep 1-2 of them and draft a guy to groom.
I'd also really like for them to keep Bates, but it might mean moving on from Waynes after this season.
Personally, I'd let go of Waynes and draft a CB early.
With the front 7 playing the way it has, this CB group can take the chance on a rookie starting opposite of Chido next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Dline keeping LBs clean=Improved LBs. I'm not ready to say we're set at LB. Maybe it's because Germaine Prat looks like a 46 year old construction worker, but I am pleased with the results to date.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The growth of Pratt and especially Wilson have had a big impact.
The additions of Ogunjobi and Hill, along with the return of Tupou, have really boosted this DL.

With that said, the Bengals are spending the 3rd-most cap this year towards defense, so I don't know how long that will be sustainable.
They'll have 3 DL set to hit FA after this season though, so I'd imagine they'll only keep 1-2 of them and draft a guy to groom.
I'd also really like for them to keep Bates, but it might mean moving on from Waynes after this season.
Personally, I'd let go of Waynes and draft a CB early.
With the front 7 playing the way it has, this CB group can take the chance on a rookie starting opposite of Chido next year.

This is true, but we also have a load of cap money in 2022 to sign our guys

Also players on rookie deals

For overall cap, we have a very inexpensive QB and kicker compared to a lot of teams

Reply/Quote
don't forget Davis-Gaither...he actually had more snaps than Pratt yesterday. His playing time has been steadily increasing each game. He may be turning into the starter next to Wilson

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:52 AM)pally Wrote: don't forget Davis-Gaither...he actually had more snaps than Pratt yesterday.  His playing time has been steadily increasing each game.  He may be turning into the starter next to Wilson

ADG has impressed me since day 1....he can motor to the ball and cover TEs and Rbs with ease.
Reply/Quote
Best thing the Bengals did in this draft was to ignore the LBs after fixing the LB issue in last year's draft. Practice squad level TEs used to destroy the defense, especially on third downs. You could see that threat slowly evaporating as the 2020 season unfolded and the young LBs grew into their roles. So far, they all look even better this year with the improved DL and top notch Safety play making their jobs easier(minus Bailey whom I'm not sure has been needed to dress yet this season).

I laughed at anyone that said "We need a pass rushing DT to replace Geno Atkins" because Geno Atkins SUCKED against the run. His area was often exploited in cutbacks. Those holes aren't there anymore. Ogunjobi, Reader and Tupou aren't getting funneled to one side or the other like how Atkins was consistently pushed out of the way. He was fun to watch but rarely had "the big sack" to kill off a game. Most of his sacks seemed to be mere delays of a drive because, if the sack wasn't on third down, they'd often follow up the sack by giving up a first down on a pass to a wide open TE. Hopefully, those days are over.

Now they just need to fix that sour Apple.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
2020 17 sacks in 16 games
2021 13 sacks in 3 games

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:30 PM)pally Wrote: 2020   17 sacks  in 16 games
2021    13 sacks in 3 games

On pace to get over 60 sacks. I don't expect that to happen, but sure would be great change from 2020.

Reply/Quote
I feel that this is more from the improved DB play and LB coverage than the improved pass rush.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Were healthy at DT this year which is a huge improvement over last season when Reader missed 12 games and Geno was playing with one shoulder.
It's nice to Have LB that can play in Space like Wilson and ADG. Also Pratt is doing a nice Job in his thumper role at LB. Guys is a more Athletic Rey Maulaga.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:11 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Defensive line improvement = money and a trade
Linebacker improvement = young players stepping up and improving.

As a casual lover of football could one of your couch professors tell me how Davis-Gaither has been doing. And what about that Purdue kid? Wilson’s been the splashiest of our linebackers so it’s been easier to notice his improvement.

Health/availability is also a factor. Reader was here last year but hurt/unavailable for a big chunk. Tupou opted out. Geno was hurt/ineffective. Hubbard missed a chunk. 

Signing Ogunjobi & Hendrickson are looking like great moves, as does the Hill trade. 

Still not 100% healthy. Ossai is out for the year, as is Hubert. Kareem has not played yet. Nor has Shelvin. Sample got a sack yesterday. 
Reply/Quote
So, not only do they have Shelvin in the wings, with little to no need to play him now with the great inside play, but I just did a quick scan of the practice squad and I completely forgot that Mike Daniels is on the Bengals PS. Man, talk about depth.

Their practice squad is deeper than I ever remember seeing

DT Mike Daniels
TE Thaddeus Moss
S Sean Davis
TE Mason Schreck
WR Trent Taylor
CB Tony Brown
DT Renell Wren
DE Noah Spence
RB Traveon Williams
S Trayvon Henderson
G Keaton Sutherland

That's a lot of NFL experience or experience in the Bengals system.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was in the camp of we need to add a Wright type player to the LB mix. But, I also thought the addition of Hendrickson plus Reader back would help our DL be much better.

Yes, only 3 games, but Wilson seems to be everywhere. Pratt has played well as have others at LB. The DL rotation has been stout. I loved the way the Bengals tackled yesterday, hard clean hitting with multiple guys swarming to the ball.

Who predicted our LB's would take this huge leap in 2021? I admit it, I did not.

I thought we would have a good LB trio in Pratt, Wilson and ADG with Bailey coming on if he stayed healthy, this good?

Not this early. Wilson looks like the best young Middle Linebacker since Kuechly and ADG is insanely talented on the precipice of
maybe being a great. Pratt has been a stud this year and I think should of had another forced fumble against the Stool.

The D-Line helps everything. Larry O, Reader, Sam, Trey, BJ, Cam, Hodge, Tupou etc.

This D is stacked and I just hope we stay healthy for a big run to the Lombardi.

Tough Division, Stains and Ratbirds look tough but so are we and we will be battle tested cause of it.
Reply/Quote
I love what Von Bell brings to D as a stout safety in the box, but I still think Bengals need an enforcer at the LB position maybe from next draft to take the Defense to next level. Not sold on Pratt just yet.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I love what Von Bell brings to D as a stout safety in the box, but I still think Bengals need an enforcer at the LB position maybe from next draft to take the Defense to next level. Not sold on Pratt just yet.

Yeah... I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to Pratt. I'm not seeing what some of us are posting about him. He had the fumble recovery week 1, but since then I've only noticed him being badly shook against Chicago, and he seems to be the odd man out when it comes to improved tackling... Admittedly I don't zone out on LBs all that often.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I love what Von Bell brings to D as a stout safety in the box, but I still think Bengals need an enforcer at the LB position maybe from next draft to take the Defense to next level.  Not sold on Pratt just yet.

Von reminds me of Dawkins from the Eagles. Wolverine. Smirk

Pratt might surprise you, thought that was a more clear forced fumble against the Steelers than the one he had against the Vikes.

Just the way it goes in Pitt. You don't get many calls going your way.

Enforcers get flagged now anyways, they are a thing of the past. Play clean, hit hard but overall, wrap up.
Reply/Quote