Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
In case you haven't already figured it out..
(02-15-2017, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look for the Bengals to do much in Free Agency.

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Bengals-will-not-spend-big-in-free-agency-51281294

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason.  More "draft and develop". Then let them go after their contracts run out.

fixed it for ya!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 05:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Oh that.  Mikey doesn't seem to have that tool in his tool box.  Of course there was James Harrison and AJ Hawk...... Hilarious

Yeah, that's what you get, when you call Snap On, when you're on a Harbor Freight budget...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
how much difference could Alex Mack have made on our O line last year.

I guess the Steelers do  not sign big FAs but all of the other top teams do so.

Same old stuff will happen and we will lose two games to Steelers and not make playoffs or be out after one game.

Been watching this team since 1967 and I am starting to really wonder why. So obvious that it all went downhill after Paul died ( just like the Bears when George Halas died) and it has never recovered.

If I was Whit or Dre or Z I would take a lower contract to get out of jail and get with a team that wants to win.

But hey, Peko, Bodine and Rey M will be back. Maybe Taylor Mays also!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 06:51 PM)bengals67 Wrote: how much difference could Alex Mack have made on our O line last year.

Same old stuff will happen and we will lose two games to Steelers and not make playoffs or be out after one game.

Been watching this team since 1967 and I am starting to really wonder why. So obvious that it all went downhill after Paul died ( just like the Bears when George Halas died) and it has never recovered.

If I was Whit or Dre or Z I would take a lower contract to get out of jail and get with a team that wants to win.

To bolded.  I guess that is the part of the Modell model that the Bengals haven't quite caught onto yet.  In order to only roll with what you draft, you must have a great scouting dept.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 06:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded.  I guess that is the part of the Modell model that the Bengals haven't quite caught onto yet.  In order to only roll with what you draft, you must have a great scouting dept.

And a coaching staff whom are all on the same page, marching to the same drum. Unfortunately we're split up and divided.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 07:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And a coaching staff whom are all on the same page, marching to the same drum. Unfortunately we're split up and divided.

Awesome point!  Our staff is so incognito of one another.  I mean we have an OL coach that seems to get his wish list for picks, and then tries to put them into blocking schemes that for all intents and purposes seem to be completely independent of the Offensive Coordinators game plan. 

How well does that work?  Bodine, Ogbuehi anyone?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:41 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I hate this idea that were going to honestly draft and keep 11 players on this team. It totally goes against Marvin's current coaching "philosophy". Drafting 11 rookies means you have to play some of them over our "vested veterans", which is something Marvin refuses to do. I say you honestly consider keeping 7-9 and use the other picks as tools to move around or get more picks for next year. If you honestly planning on drafting 11 guys, then you need to seriously consider opening up opportunities for those players, not to mention drafting 11 rookies all but confirms that we are rebuilding.

Lots of good posts in this thread!  I agree, too mant picks in this draft.  This doesn't include extra picks we may get trading AJM or trading back in the first round.  I don't know the value of trading a 4 this year nets 3 next year but I hope we use some of this draft collateral to get players that can help.  Not surprised by the original post though..  Sad.
Reply/Quote
Free agency is stupid. The Patriots went out and got a FA TE instead of just hoping their backup TE's would "step up" when their oft-injured TE got injured...and look what happened to them! They coulda had like 2 more Gronks on their bench...but now they'll NEVER know because they decided to waste time with a washed-up has-been even the 3-13 Chicago Bears didn't want.

Losers.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 05:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Oh that.  Mikey doesn't seem to have that tool in his tool box.  Of course there was James Harrison and AJ Hawk...... Hilarious
Que up the clay Matthews signing....
(02-15-2017, 06:51 PM)bengals67 Wrote: how much difference could Alex Mack have made on our O line last year.

The packers don't seem to use free agency either.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: The packers don't seem to use free agency either.

The Packers also traded a 1st round pick on a drunkard QB who threw a total of 4 passes, 2 to the other team and 0 to his own teammates and then built a franchise around him.  Someone clearly made a deal with the devil for that franchise to be so lucky.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Que up the clay Matthews signing....
The packers don't seem to use free agency either.

So, what is your take on the matter?  Or, did you only mean to try to roast others posts, without offering any actual input of your own?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look for the Bengals to do much in Free Agency.

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Bengals-will-not-spend-big-in-free-agency-51281294

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason.  More "draft and develop", and "try to keep the best of our own".

The funny thing is they talk about the current draft class upgrading the team...but the reality is that they don't play the players. All PR spin.
Reply/Quote

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason.  More "draft and develop", and "try to keep the best of our own".

I doubt this surprises anyone.

It would surprise me if they ever did make a big splash.

They always seem to just get by with FA, i liked the Dansby grab last year at the time but that wasn't a splash
considering his age. Seems like that is the only time they really go for that big splash, when they are washed up.

Kick those wet tires.

Trent Cole as another poster said fits us this year.

But if we added Ricky Wagner with Cole i would be happy going into the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt this surprises anyone.

It would surprise me if they ever did make a big splash.

They always seem to just get by with FA, i liked the Dansby grab last year at the time but that wasn't a splash
considering his age. Seems like that is the only time they really go for that big splash, when they are washed up.

Kick those wet tires.

Trent Cole as another poster said fits us this year.

But if we added Ricky Wagner with Cole i would be happy going into the Draft.

I would actually be thrilled if the Bengals brought in Ricky Wagner. 

But, Trent Cole??  Haven't we already learned our lesson from Harrison, Hawk and Dansby?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Packers also traded a 1st round pick on a drunkard QB who threw a total of 4 passes, 2 to the other team and 0 to his own teammates and then built a franchise around him.  Someone clearly made a deal with the devil for that franchise to be so lucky.
  See?  That's what we're missing, someone who knows how to negotiate with the devil. 
Instead we get the running revered. I  prefer the slashing Satan ..then again I'm a non-believer.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would actually be thrilled if the Bengals brought in Ricky Wagner. 

But, Trent Cole??  Haven't we already learned our lesson from Harrison, Hawk and Dansby?

I don't know man, maybe 4th times the charm lmao.

But yeah, getting Wagner would make it all worth it. Sign our guys along with this and we will be a tough team.

Problem is i don't like the hints about letting Zeit test the market. Might have to get a Guard and run with Fisher at RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know man, maybe 4th times the charm lmao.

But yeah, getting Wagner would make it all worth it. Sign our guys along with this and we will be a tough team.

Problem is i don't like the hints about letting Zeit test the market. Might have to get a Guard and run with Fisher at RT.

As his draft profile suggested, perhaps a move to Guard would work well for Fisher?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Zeitler here. However, we both know how the Bengals operate. If he doesn't agree to a team friendly deal, he's down the road.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't understand why people always say that the Bengals don't participate in FA. Just last year we had 2 WR and a Pro bowl safety signed by other teams. The Bengals developed Marvin Jones nicely for Detroit, and I'm pretty sure Atlanta liked what was done with Sanu. Sure they signed Lafell and he played well. But he'll likely go to another team this year as he was only signed on a pretty cheap one year deal. Even "IF" he re-signs, it will likely be for close to the same money as Jones. Even if the production is the same this season, the Bengals still got 4 years older at that WR position. It seems this year the Bengals will participate again with at least the aforementioned Lafell, and Zeitler. A top 10 guard and a solid WR. But not to worry there will be a 34ish year old former pro bowler (at least 6 years earlier) coming off 2 seasons of IR at guard that they can get for a steal in April after the draft to replace Zeitler. Then the organization will try to get the fan base to buy a fluff piece on how that player is gonna recapture the pro bowl form from 2010. That is participation, and a lot of other teams are very happy with the Bengals coaching up and developing these players for them. That way they can not re-sign their own over the hill guys Ninja Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 11:32 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: I don't understand why people always say that the Bengals don't participate in FA.  Just last year we had 2 WR and a Pro bowl safety signed by other teams.  The Bengals developed Marvin Jones nicely for Detroit, and I'm pretty sure Atlanta liked what was done with Sanu.  Sure they signed Lafell and he played well.  But he'll likely go to another team this year as he was only signed on a pretty cheap one year deal.  Even "IF" he re-signs, it will likely be for close to the same money as Jones.  Even if the production is the same this season, the Bengals still got 4 years older at that WR position.  It seems this year the Bengals will participate again with at least the aforementioned Lafell, and Zeitler.  A top 10 guard and a solid WR.  But not to worry there will be a 34ish year old former pro bowler (at least 6 years earlier) coming off 2 seasons of IR at guard that they can get for a steal in April after the draft to replace Zeitler.  Then the organization will try to get the fan base to buy a fluff piece on how that player is gonna recapture the pro bowl form from 2010.  That is participation, and a lot of other teams are very happy with the Bengals coaching up and developing these players for them.  That way they can not re-sign their own over the hill guys   Ninja  Sarcasm

So the Bengals are the AAA affiliate of all the other NFL teams? 

I can actually believe that.  Sad

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Ahhhh. One of my favorite times of year. BENGALS FREE AGENCY! Letting the guys we need walk and picking up scrap-heapers and has-beens. Why change now.
Reply/Quote