Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In defense of Drew Sample
I dont hate the guy. I just hate the guy that drafted him.
With that said he offers you nothing in being a downfield
Threat. He doesnt command the best coverage LB to
Get up on him. He allows double coverage on Boyd
Or Higgins.
At best he is inline TE who can leak out and get you
7 yds when you need 9 for a 1st down.
I just remember Myles Jack taking the ball from him.
Thats being soft
Reply/Quote
2nd round pick eh?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 01:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

There will be a lot of that when Sewell and Sample are blowing open holes for Mixon
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:02 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There will be a lot of that when Sewell and Sample are blowing open holes for Mixon

This delusion about “smoke screens” is odd. You guys really should start getting behind the idea of taking Chase, cause barring anything crazy he’s 100% going to be the pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If the Sample pick was Metcalf instead, we could be drafting Sewell with zero concerns :).
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 10:12 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: 2nd round pick eh?

2nd round pick, and a non factor...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:10 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If the Sample pick was Metcalf instead, we could be drafting Sewell with zero concerns :).

I almost posted this exactly...

Reply/Quote
Really don't understand how Reggie Kelly is being brought up as a comparison.

Reggie Kelly was drafted 22 years ago. The game and the position was completely different.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This delusion about “smoke screens” is odd. You guys really should start getting behind the idea of taking Chase, cause barring anything crazy he’s 100% going to be the pick.

49.5% chance Sewell
49.5% chance Pitts
1% chance Chase
100% chance Sample is serving pancakes
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 08:49 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Had Sample been taken in the 6th round he'd be a favourite: he'd have exceeded all expectations and fans would generally be a lot more positive about him. Instead he was the second player off the board for the Bengals so expectations are higher.

Expectations are also higher as people forget that the Bengals traded back and received an extra 4th and 6th round picks for picking later so he's not quite as high a pick as people assume. Plus if Wrenn or Travyveon Williams had panned out - and there is still a chance that they might - people would again generally be happier with this pick.

Of course some will always be negative no matter what.

I GIVE YOU AN UPVOTE!
Reply/Quote
Sample really does nothing special you would
Expect out of a 2nd RD pick.
His same skill level you can find in a undrafted player or 7th rd
Selection. He will finish his career with less than 10
TDs
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sample really does nothing special you would
Expect out of a 2nd RD pick.

You have obviously missed out on the hot new Nextgen stat on "separation".  Drew Sample had the 6th highest sparation among all NFL receivers. His separation was higher than every All Pro TE and WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:29 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Really don't understand how Reggie Kelly is being brought up as a comparison.

Reggie Kelly was drafted 22 years ago.  The game and the position was completely different.

I don't think it was so fundamentally different that the comparison is invalidated. There's not much to it though beyond the basic qualities of the players:

1) Low ceiling as receivers, but generally reliable hands when called upon
2) Above average blocking tight ends. I think Kelly's blocking was more impactful for the running game and Sample's is for the passing game, but whatever.

There's a place for players in this role in 2021. It may not be a role that we'd like from the second round, but it's what we have. I think Sample does what he is asked to do well enough.

As for DK Metcalf -- complaining that the Bengals didn't take him instead is typically asinine fan whining that can be applied to exactly every other NFL team that didn't take him the first time around including Seattle.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:43 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: I recently subscribed to PFF premium and I was able to compare TE blocking grades. 31 players had blocked on 44 or more on passing plays and Sample ranked third in number of pass blocks (94). Out of those players he ranked 4th overall.

This isn't the era of having a predominantly blocking TE.
Having a TE who isn't a receiving threat reduces the number of weapons on the field.

Think back to the Reggie Kelly era.
Kelly did have a lot of value for his blocking, and was also a 2nd round pick like Sample was, but I distinctly remember people back in the mid-to-late 2000's clamoring for a pass-catching TE to add that extra dimension to the offense. It's a big reason Gresham was drafted, and then Eifert a few years later.

Heck, Thaddeus Moss is also a good blocker, was picked up without using a draft pick, and costs about half of what Sample does. Plus, he might be as good or better than Sample as a receiving threat.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 49.5% chance Sewell
49.5% chance Pitts
1% chance Chase
100% chance Sample is serving pancakes

0% chance it's Pitts at this point. Chase or Sewell.
Reply/Quote
I suppose I don't understand how some seem to be so convinced who the Bengals will or won't pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have obviously missed out on the hot new Nextgen stat on "separation".  Drew Sample had the 6th highest sparation among all NFL receivers. His separation was higher than every All Pro TE and WR.

How does a guy with great separation average 8.7 ypc.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 01:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: How does a guy with great separation average 8.7 ypc.

Well, like Reggie Kelly . . . . he spends a lot of time helping the weak o-line and when there are no open receivers, he gets a short dump off. Same reason Rudi Johnson had a low ypc
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 01:30 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I suppose I don't understand how some seem to be so convinced who the Bengals will or won't pick.

You and me both, but I've quit arguing with those who are 99% convinced *rolls eyes*.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:43 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: I recently subscribed to PFF premium and I was able to compare TE blocking grades. 31 players had blocked on 44 or more on passing plays and Sample ranked third in number of pass blocks (94). Out of those players he ranked 4th overall.

I promise you the fantasy players have no idea Sample is a top 5 pass blocking TE. It is important to note, he was needed to block because of our bad OL more often than the star pass catching TE's so tough to have great receiving numbers when stuck with blocking responsibility so often.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote