Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In defense of Drew Sample
(04-21-2021, 08:49 AM)lone bengal Wrote: You can find blocking TE’s in later rounds and that’s my biggest issue , he shouldn’t have been taken in round 2. When you have as many holes on the roster as the Bengals did ,it just never made sense to draft a blocking TE in round 2 , same with drafting a backup QB in Finley in round 4. Sample had 349 yards receiving and 1 TD in year 2.

I don't recall seeing many blocking TE's draft in rounds 6 or 7 that are top 5 in blocking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This delusion about “smoke screens” is odd. You guys really should start getting behind the idea of taking Chase, cause barring anything crazy he’s 100% going to be the pick.

100%

I would say id odds are 50/50 at best. Too many variables:
1. Chase could be gone.
2. Bengals could trade back
3. I see Sewell, Pitts and Chase in a dead heat.

We will find out soon if you were 100% correct or 100% wrong.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 01:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: How does a guy with great separation average 8.7 ypc.

No one bothered to cover him lol 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:43 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: I recently subscribed to PFF premium and I was able to compare TE blocking grades. 31 players had blocked on 44 or more on passing plays and Sample ranked third in number of pass blocks (94). Out of those players he ranked 4th overall.

Nice thread, bet it will be dumped on though. Sample isn't near as bad as some make out. He just isn't a playmaker in the passing
game is all and was taken too early. He improved last year and could have a nice year for us as long as he loses a bit of weight and
gets less stiff running his routes. He has good hands.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 12:43 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: I recently subscribed to PFF premium and I was able to compare TE blocking grades. 31 players had blocked on 44 or more on passing plays and Sample ranked third in number of pass blocks (94). Out of those players he ranked 4th overall.

I thought Sample came on nicely after a rough, injury-riddled, rookie season.  He, Uzo, and Moss can be a solid TE room.  Best part of it is all are very capable blockers so we aren't tipping our hat so much with whatever TE is in the game because the opposing team won't immediately assume either are just blockers or just receivers.  All are pretty versatile.  

Sure, the 2nd round might have been a reach, but Sample will likely end up being a solid piece of the puzzle.  
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2021, 11:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I thought Sample came on nicely after a rough, injury-riddled, rookie season.  He, Uzo, and Moss can be a solid TE room.  Best part of it is all are very capable blockers so we aren't tipping our hat so much with whatever TE is in the game because the opposing team won't immediately assume either are just blockers or just receivers.  All are pretty versatile.  

Sure, the 2nd round might have been a reach, but Sample will likely end up being a solid piece of the puzzle.  

Yeah, still wouldn't mind adding to the TE room though and if Pitts is there and we take him he is versatile too as he is a WR and a
TE that we can move around and he can block, he just isn't a blocking TE like Sample, Moss and Uzo are. Freiermuth is another TE 
I would like but sadly I think he is out of the picture unless we take Sewell with the first pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, still wouldn't mind adding to the TE room though and if Pitts is there and we take him he is versatile too as he is a WR and a
TE that we can move around and he can block, he just isn't a blocking TE like Sample, Moss and Uzo are. Freiermuth is another TE 
I would like but sadly I think he is out of the picture unless we take Sewell with the first pick.

Tremble is an excellent later prospect.

He's not that experienced but that guy is a dedicated blocker for sure.

Give him a watch sometime.  
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:19 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Tremble is an excellent later prospect.

He's not that experienced but that guy is a dedicated blocker for sure.

Give him a watch sometime.  

I will, I have him in my first mock cause of you. I watched him play at Notre Dame but haven't watched his highlights yet or any
film for that matter. Watched him in games and I liked him. Notre Dame puts out some solid TE's that can both block and catch.

Eifert was different as he was more of a pass catcher. Tremble anywhere from the 4th or later would be awesome.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will, I have him in my first mock cause of you. I watched him play at Notre Dame but haven't watched his highlights yet or any
film for that matter. Watched him in games and I liked him. Notre Dame puts out some solid TE's that can both block and catch.

Eifert was different as he was more of a pass catcher. Tremble anywhere from the 4th or later would be awesome.

PFF's Mock always dings my grade for picking him.  LOL

I don't think he's going to be some great starting TE or anything.

He does have potential and could be good depth.  Supposedly very good at STs too.

Bring him in to compete with Sample or Moss at least.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:28 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: PFF's Mock always dings my grade for picking him.  LOL

I don't think he's going to be some great starting TE or anything.

He does have potential and could be good depth.  Supposedly very good at STs too.

Bring him in to compete with Sample or Moss at least.

Sounds good to me. 

PFF's grades are weird anyways, sometimes you can't do anything right even if you draft Nico Collins in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
Brevin Jordan the TE from Miami looks to be projected in the 3rd round. Thats a guy who they atleast say is an adequate willing blocker but watching his highlights is a playmaker that could really make a difference in our offense. I think if we happened to Sewell in Rd 1 and BPA in Rd2 you could get Brevin in Rd3 and get a WR in Rd 4 or 5 and passing attack would be more than solid.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Brevin Jordan the TE from Miami looks to be projected in the 3rd round. Thats a guy who they atleast say is an adequate willing blocker but watching his highlights is a playmaker that could really make a difference in our offense. I think if we happened to Sewell in Rd 1 and BPA in Rd2 you could get Brevin in Rd3 and get a WR in Rd 4 or 5 and passing attack would be more than solid.

Sewell, Meinerz and Jordan would sure pump some blood into the Offense...
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sewell, Meinerz and Jordan would sure pump some blood into the Offense...

I'm curious as to why Jordan is viewed as a 3rd rounder by so many. He really looks like a good TE prospect.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm curious as to why Jordan is viewed as a 3rd rounder by so many. He really looks like a good TE prospect.

He isn't very tall is all. He is only like 6'2". Doesn't matter to me, he is a playmaker and a good blocker.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sewell, Meinerz and Jordan would sure pump some blood into the Offense...

I would be ecstatic if that was how our first 3 rounds turned out. We would also still have 5 picks remaining which I think we could at least get a player for all of our major positions of need. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:24 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I would be ecstatic if that was how our first 3 rounds turned out. We would also still have 5 picks remaining which I think we could at least get a player for all of our major positions of need. 

True, we could start looking at pass rushers and WR's after. Patrick Jones DE, Milton Williams DT, Duane Eskridge WR, 
Jaelon Darden WR, Anthony Schwartz WR, Tamarrion Terry WR etc.
Reply/Quote
I have taken a lot of guff for defending Drew Sample, but, as so often happens on these boards, I am not saying he is a great player. I just defend him against the claims that he is a 'bum".

I think scheme and coaching has a huge effect on production from the TE position. Different teams use TEs differently. I don't believe any TE is going to put up huge numbers here under Taylor.

Uzomah is an excellent combination of size (6'6", 260) and speed (4.62 forty)

Drew Sample will never be a "WR type" TE but I think a lot of fans underestimate his agility and athleticism. He ranked in the top ten among TEs in a lot of events at the combine

5th in 3 come
5th in 60 yd shuttle
6th in short shuttle
8th in vertical
9th in broad jump
9th in 40 yd dash

Of course neither of these guys can get in and out of their cuts like Eifert or any of the elite receiving TEs, but they have both shown decent hands.

I think Uzomah is overpaid, but overall I think we will be fine at TE this year with these guys. I want us to add at least TWO new WRs before we worry about a new TE. We have no one after Boyd and Higgins and we run mostly 3 and 4 WR sets.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have taken a lot of guff for defending Drew Sample, but, as so often happens on these boards, I am not saying he is a great player.  I just defend him against the claims that he is a 'bum".

I think scheme and coaching has a huge effect on production from the TE position.  Different teams use TEs differently.  I don't believe any TE is going to put up huge numbers here under Taylor.

Uzomah is an excellent combination of size (6'6", 260) and speed (4.62 forty)

Drew Sample will never be a "WR type" TE but I think a lot of fans underestimate his agility and athleticism. He ranked in the top ten among TEs in a lot of events at the combine

5th in 3 come
5th in 60 yd shuttle
6th in short shuttle
8th in vertical
9th in broad jump
9th in 40 yd dash

Of course neither of these guys can get in and out of their cuts like Eifert or any of the elite receiving TEs, but they have both shown decent hands.

I think Uzomah is overpaid, but overall I think we will be fine at TE this year with these guys.  I want us to add at least TWO new WRs before we worry about a new TE.  We have no one after Boyd and Higgins and we run mostly 3 and 4 WR sets.

The sad thing about Uzomah is that he has the traits and abilities to be very productive...  it's the injuries that kill his productivity and makes him overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, still wouldn't mind adding to the TE room though and if Pitts is there and we take him he is versatile too as he is a WR and a

I had one of those "out of the box" moments yesterday.  No, it wasn't drug-induced.  I tried to think along with the team and, most specifically, with the coach.  I looked at his first draft.  A TE in Rd 2.  Why did he do that if he lives in 11 personnel more than any other coach?  What if he actually would PREFER to be a 12 personnel team, and he has been wanting Pitts all along?  That is what Belicheck has made a lot of hey with, and he never has problems beating pitt.  What if this is a massive smoke screen and they want Pitts, and are going to add one more bigger, bruising RB and have more emphasis on the rushing attack?

I can't imagine that he would change his stripes to that extent.  He always gave up on the run last year.  Even when Uzo was healthy, they weren't in 12 personnel much.  But, to be fair, he was still trying to get his money's worth out of AJ Green.  Chase, to me, is the perfect fit as he is a complete WR that can bully DBs that try to press him and he has an uncanny ability to track/get open deep down field.  That being said, that 2nd round pick for a TE still got me thinking....
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, we could start looking at pass rushers and WR's after. Patrick Jones DE, Milton Williams DT, Duane Eskridge WR, 
Jaelon Darden WR, Anthony Schwartz WR, Tamarrion Terry WR etc.

Duane Eskridge is a slot WR, but I absolutely love the guy in the later rounds to develop behind Boyd and be the slot backup.  If he was there in Rd 5 I am all over him, but I think he will go much earlier after his Senior Bowl performance.  
Reply/Quote