Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Schminjuries
I know, I know. Injuries suck. And they definitely suck when they happen in the preseason even more. While we've started out with more than our fair share this offseason, I don't think it's time to panic just yet. Perhaps let's pump the brakes a bit on the season is over talk? Here's the deal. We've taken our lumps recently. And we already had some issues with guys like Burfict and Eifert that we knew going into camp. But I'm telling you, it could be much, much worse. Muuuuchhh worse.

Is Dalton healthy? Yup. Is Green healthy? Yup. Ok, well that's one heckuva start. Bernard and Hill both appear, at the moment, to be ready to pencil in for Week 1. Whitworth, Zeitler, Boling, and Bodine all should be good to go. I mean, hot damn, that's a lot of returning talent right there. And when QB1 and a handful of weapons are healthy I'm not sure you can gripe much in this league. I'll take a healthy QB1 over 5 random lesser contributors every single day of the week.

Yeah, Eifert will miss time. But the good news is that we know he'll be back eventually. And if potentially missing your #2 receiver for a game or two (or it's possible not at all) is your biggest loss then I think you're doing ok. The guy has yet to even catch a pass here, and is coming off a 500 yard season. He signed a 1 year 2.5 million dollar deal for a reason. It won't be the end of world if he misses time.

We've got a first year starter on the OL that may miss a couple weeks, while the veteran 4 are in tact.

We're down a couple of reserves in the secondary, with one due back sooner than later. Pacman Jones, Kirkpatrick, George Iloka and Shaun Williams are all healthy.

People are WAY overreacting over Billings. I mean, if you think has potential, I get it. But he's a 4th round rookie joining an interior DL of Geno Atkins, Peko, Brandon Thompson and Pat Simms. The DL is littered with healthy talent. Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson, both should be good to go.

So, again, let's all try to take a deep breath here. Dalton, Green, Atkins, Burfict, Bernard, Whitwoth, Zeitler, Pacman, Iloka. Those are names to do a double take if they come up on the injury report. How many teams have we all see where there's huge, huge losses going into the season. TOM BRADY this season. Ben raped one two many chicks that one year and lost time. Speaker of those losers, they're going to missing LEVEON BELL longer than more than half of the guys on a injury report. Martavis Bryant, gone. Heath Miller retired, and now his replacement (Ladarius Green) contemplating retirement. Philly's #1 pick, and potential QB1 is likely already out for the entire preseason.

We'll be ok. We're supposed to have all this depth and continuity and familiarity that many of you applaud so much. IF we can't weather some losses for a few weeks, and some mid round rookies gone for longer, then we've got some serious problems.
Reply/Quote
Nice post.

Rep.

I'm not worried about Eifert because we have Uzomah, who looked good in camp (if you could have seen him, he looked like just a big, natural receiver), as well as Kroft coming back.

Regardless, we don't need to use two tight end sets right away because we have enough good receivers (our young guys may be "unproven," but I like what I've sene out of them).

Our secondary does worry me just because I'm scared of injuries, and our defensive end depth seems shallow, which we really need a pass rush and I was expecting Billings to help with that.

Your post kind of does make it seem like I've been overreacting and that things aren't too bad.

WHO-DEY!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Great post.

Often times, when we're cocky/over-confident in the team we are let down by lack-luster performances. We expect that health and talent will equal W's. Seems as though most folks want nothing less than a 100% healthy roster, and when they have that, suddenly the team is SuperBowl bound. The reality is: this is PRO FOOTBALL. Injuries are the norm, thus the need for depth and versatility. And even with that "healthy" roster, nothing is guaranteed.

That being said, I personally am a bit less confident about the team this season due to multiple issues. Questions at WR, TE, OL, S. That's 4 position groups that we just don't know about at this point. But I sure as heck ain't gonna cry that the world is coming to an end over it!
It's just football and there's always next season if it all goes down the tubes.

I agree with OP that we have A TON of healthy talent. Enough to possibly over-shadow the injuries and lack of experience. We'll see!!
Reply/Quote
Agreed. However, it is a bit alarming given they still have three preseason games (well, two and a half...) remaining, but I am with you. Their core is still intact. If they have Dalton, Green, most of their o-line, Eifert, Geno, Dunlap, Burfict, and most of their secondary healthy come the end of the season...they will be doing more than just making the postseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kudos to Wes for getting the forum through at least one more preseason game!! Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 12:36 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know, I know.  Injuries suck.  And they definitely suck when they happen in the preseason even more.  While we've started out with more than our fair share this offseason, I don't think it's time to panic just yet.  Perhaps let's pump the brakes a bit on the season is over talk?  Here's the deal.  We've taken our lumps recently.  And we already had some issues with guys like Burfict and Eifert that we knew going into camp.  But I'm telling you, it could be much, much worse.  Muuuuchhh worse.

Is Dalton healthy?  Yup.  Is Green healthy?  Yup.  Ok, well that's one heckuva start.  Bernard and Hill both appear, at the moment, to be ready to pencil in for Week 1.  Whitworth, Zeitler, Boling, and Bodine all should be good to go.  I mean, hot damn, that's a lot of returning talent right there.  And when QB1 and a handful of weapons are healthy I'm not sure you can gripe much in this league.  I'll take a healthy QB1 over 5 random lesser contributors every single day of the week.

Yeah, Eifert will miss time.  But the good news is that we know he'll be back eventually.  And if potentially missing your #2 receiver for a game or two (or it's possible not at all) is your biggest loss then I think you're doing ok.  The guy has yet to even catch a pass here, and is coming off a 500 yard season.  He signed a 1 year 2.5 million dollar deal for a reason.  It won't be the end of world if he misses time.

We've got a first year starter on the OL that may miss a couple weeks, while the veteran 4 are in tact.  

We're down a couple of reserves in the secondary, with one due back sooner than later.  Pacman Jones, Kirkpatrick, George Iloka and Shaun Williams are all healthy.

People are WAY overreacting over Billings.  I mean, if you think has potential, I get it.  But he's a 4th round rookie joining an interior DL of Geno Atkins, Peko, Brandon Thompson and Pat Simms.  The DL is littered with healthy talent.  Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson, both should be good to go.

So, again, let's all try to take a deep breath here.  Dalton, Green, Atkins, Burfict, Bernard, Whitwoth, Zeitler, Pacman, Iloka.  Those are names to do a double take if they come up on the injury report.  How many teams have we all see where there's huge, huge losses going into the season.  TOM BRADY this season.  Ben raped one two many chicks that one year and lost time.  Speaker of those losers, they're going to missing LEVEON BELL longer than more than half of the guys on a injury report.  Martavis Bryant, gone.  Heath Miller retired, and now his replacement (Ladarius Green) contemplating retirement.  Philly's #1 pick, and potential QB1 is likely already out for the entire preseason.

We'll be ok.  We're supposed to have all this depth and continuity and familiarity that many of you applaud so much.  IF we can't weather some losses for a few weeks, and some mid round rookies gone for longer, then we've got some serious problems.

Great thoughts. I agree, I would add some of these rookie injuries may allow us to stash talent for the future. Billings is a rookie, he likely like you said would not contribute a lot in 2016, but Hardison or Williams are 2nd year guys that we may have lost if we did not pick up the extra roster spot. We have a deep team and only 53 spots so spots 51, 52 and 53 are like Gold and may allow a Core, Erickson or James Wright make this team versus being cut or trying to get on the practice squad.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Agree,

Hopefully we're getting the injury bug over early.
Reply/Quote
Fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse.....
Reply/Quote
I'll say it again the injuries to Billings and WJIII hurt because it causes us to re-sign players they were meant to replace. No way they let Peko, Dre walk without knowing what they have in Billings/WJIII.

Lafell hurts only because he isn't and hasn't showed to be that good and he's taking up a roster spot while being outplayed by rookies. Injury should have been bad enough to be IR'd so that we can move on with rookies, or not hurt at all so that he can get much needed work during preseason to help with drop and mental issues that have been prevalent this offseason. Lafell has been a failure to this point if you follow Hobs and the word coming out from the offseason. But they won't give up on him.

Eifert doesn't hurt because he's a luxury at this point. He'll return and the chances of him getting injured again is high.

Whit will probably be re-singed if Ced can't prove healthy. And that's fine as he still good.

We might not need these young players with the core still here, but sooner or late they have to show they can replace those whose contracts are up or else this front office will likely end up spending money on bring back players meant to have been moved on from by now.

No need to panic right now, but these key injuries have changed future contract outcomes.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Don't know that I'm panicking yet, but the most distressing injury is Ced.

They guy hasn't looked too good and he needed every rep he could get.  And given the fact that Whit has a bad shoulder I'm pretty concerned about the tackle position this year.

But the interior did a good job against Minnesota and there's time to solidify the tackle position.  If Whit's shoulder is not a lingering injury I think we'll be fine.
Reply/Quote
I think people were just spoiled by our remarkable (other than Dalton) health last season. This level of injuries is fairly normal and we haven't even lost any key players really. Eifert is going to miss a couple. Big whoop. It's better than when he missed the entire season in 2014. In that same year, we played without MLJ, Burfict, Green, Michael Johnson, etc etc. Plus we may as well have been without Atkins. These injuries are a joke compared to all that.

Billings- I loved the pick, but our DT depth will be the same as last year (good)
WJ3- Probably wasn't going to play much anyway
LaFell- I'm cautiously optimistic that he just needs some rest and will be ready week 1
Eifert- Easily the biggest loss, and it looks like he'll miss maybe 2-3 games (same as last year)
CedOg- I'm glad Fisher will get a look. Ced shouldn't miss much time though.

I'm pretty sure the other injuries are even more insignificant.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 12:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think people were just spoiled by our remarkable (other than Dalton) health last season. This level of injuries is fairly normal and we haven't even lost any key players really. Eifert is going to miss a couple. Big whoop. It's better than when he missed the entire season in 2014. In that same year, we played without MLJ, Burfict, Green, Michael Johnson, etc etc. Plus we may as well have been without Atkins. These injuries are a joke compared to all that.

Billings- I loved the pick, but our DT depth will be the same as last year (good) But he would have been a player that brought our defensive line up a notch as I think he would have been able to offer a pass rush and more penetration on run plays.  Like you said, though, we're no worse.
WJ3- Probably wasn't going to play much anyway  It kind of looked to me like he'd break the trend of not playing rookies, especially with Hall being released, but it shouldn't hurt us.
LaFell- I'm cautiously optimistic that he just needs some rest and will be ready week 1 I hope so, but we have depth at receiver.
Eifert- Easily the biggest loss, and it looks like he'll miss maybe 2-3 games (same as last year)  I would have agreed with you before I went to training camp, but Uzomah has me excited, and plus we still will have Kroft.  No worries there.
CedOg- I'm glad Fisher will get a look. Ced shouldn't miss much time though.  We might be ok here, but our lack of depth on the offensive line worries me.

I'm pretty sure the other injuries are even more insignificant.

The highlighted is just me being pessimistic because I'm a Bengals fan, but we should be ok!
Reply/Quote
I'll give an A+ for the correct usage of schminjury..and the correct spelling. Well done.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Injuries, Schminjuries
Bengals, Schmengals
Playoff wins, Schlmayoff wins
Super Bowl, Schmooper Bowl
Nilsson, Schmilsson
Reply/Quote
Agree and good post.

Plus think the Bengals defensive line will be so dominant this season that it can cover up and carry the team through anything missing.

Believe as long as they stay healthy (Carlos, Peko, Geno, MJ) it will all work out.

Know we lost Billings but he is a rookie and Peko is better than most credit him to be anyhow.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I agree 100 percent with Wes. There is no need to panic over some of the injuries. Truth be known with Billings, yes he was probably going to play at some point and the same with WJ3 but we know how Marvin usually plays his rookies if at all. So it is best to let them heal and start fresh next year with a year on the bench behind them. As for Eifert, he should be ready to go by at least week 3 at the latest and Ced should be ready by at least week 2 but it will be ok because the team has depth on the Oline and we have Hewitt as a tight end if needed but hopefully Kroft will be back before the season starts. As for LaFell goes, we are going to be ok there too because there is talent in waiting mainly with Tyler Boyd and some of the other young receivers. I think it is laughable that some of the so called fans have already ended the Bengals season before it begins. I'm sorry but have some faith in the team that you follow because with the depth this team has they should be just fine.
Reply/Quote
My only concern is the time that remains before the games actually start to count. Plenty of time left to lose more guys and potentially key guys. I hope they dial it down a notch for the sake of keeping the guys were counting on to be key contributors safe for the regular season. I know there's no real science with injuries and they can occur at any moment, but they could do more to mitigate them.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Awesome post! Every ounce of me agrees with everything you mentioned. Still a small part of me, like others have already mentioned, fears that three more preseason weeks will continue with this same trend of bumps, bruises, and dings to our depth. But fingers crossed we've had the worst of it week 1 in the preseason!!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 11:00 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'll say it again the injuries to Billings and WJIII hurt because it causes us to re-sign players they were meant to replace. No way they let Peko, Dre walk without knowing what they have in Billings/WJIII.

Lafell hurts only because he isn't and hasn't showed to be that good and he's taking up a roster spot while being outplayed by rookies. Injury should have been bad enough to be IR'd so that we can move on with rookies, or not hurt at all so that he can get much needed work during preseason to help with drop and mental issues that have been prevalent this offseason. Lafell has been a failure to this point if you follow Hobs and the word coming out from the offseason. But they won't give up on him.

Eifert doesn't hurt because he's a luxury at this point. He'll return and the chances of him getting injured again is high.

Whit will probably be re-singed if Ced can't prove healthy. And that's fine as he still good.

We might not need these young players with the core still here, but sooner or late they have to show they can replace those whose contracts are up or else this front office will likely end up spending money on bring back players meant to have been moved on from by now.

No need to panic right now, but these key injuries have changed future contract outcomes.
Recent events contradict your opinions. Just last year our 1st round pick missed most of 2015, but we let A. Smith walk. Sounds like you have a vendetta against Dre and Peko which is fine, but your wrong on how the Bengals reacted recently to now knowing a guy can fill in for a starter due to injury.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 09:52 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great thoughts. I agree, I would add some of these rookie injuries may allow us to stash talent for the future. Billings is a rookie, he likely like you said would not contribute a lot in 2016, but Hardison or Williams are 2nd year guys that we may have lost if we did not pick up the extra roster spot. We have a deep team and only 53 spots so spots 51, 52 and 53 are like Gold and may allow a Core, Erickson or James Wright make this team versus being cut or trying to get on the practice squad.

To me,here are some positive pluses to look at.I agree with Toast,its football and we have top starters back.Heres some info for those that worry,which does nothing but give you ulcers and all that.

Number one::: We have a super good backup qb in AJ McCarron,
2. we have some excellent backup tightends who I think will ball out this year.
3.we have a up and coming linebacker in number 59.another luke,MAYBE.
4.we have pass rushers in Marcus Hardison,and Deshaun Williams that to me is goin be great in the rotation.
5.I think Josh Shaw is going to be a downhill slammer we so need.So lets go,ITS OUR TEAM,,OUR TIME AND OUR TURN.
Reply/Quote