Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Vs. Wins (Our Injuries are Overstated)
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-cincinnati-bengals-blame-game

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals came into the 2020 season knowing that they were probably still a year or two away from seriously competing for a playoff spot in the AFC. Coming off of a 2019 season that saw them finish 2-14, the worst record in the NFL, the team hoped to be more competitive with the new talent that was brought in both from free agency and the NFL draft.

Cincinnati was able to slightly improve on their 2019 season by finishing the 2020 season with a 4-11-1 record, and another last-place finish in the AFC North. There were many bright spots for the Bengals this season, but at the end of the day, the Bengals are still a ways away from achieving their goal of winning their division. For all the bright spots this team had in 2020, there were many more things that went wrong.

Who or what is to blame for the Bengals' poor 2020 season? Well, where do we start? 

INJURIES

Cincinnati was absolutely thrashed with injuries this season, and this severely hurt this football team’s chances of winning games. Now, this is not an excuse as many teams suffered key injuries throughout the 2020 season, but Cincinnati was hit about as bad as any NFL team.
It all starts with their franchise quarterback Joe Burrow, who suffered a torn ACL in a Week 11 loss against Washington. Prior to suffering the injury, Burrow was having one of the better rookie seasons we had ever seen, and proved to be well worth the No. 1 overall pick. His injury was crippling, and despite two late-season wins, this team never was the same. 
Outside of Burrow, the team had many other significant injuries to key starters. Players such as running back Joe Mixon, tight end C.J. Uzomah, left tackle Jonah Williams, defensive tackles Geno Atkins and D.J. Reader, and corner Trae Waynes all ended up on injured reserve. No team can survive this much attrition, especially with these key starters. 

PASS RUSH

The Bengals defense really struggled to get to the quarterback in 2020. In a passing league, if you can’t rush the passer then you’ll be in trouble. Cincinnati had a league-low 17 sacks this season, and that is a number that must improve if this team hopes to be more competitive. The question is: Is the lack of sack production due to personnel or coaching? 
I believe that it's the former. Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo, who is expected to be retained, dialed up a blitz on 30.8% of dropbacks this season, a number that ranks in the upper half of the league. I like the attempt to dial up blitzes and try to manufacture pressure, the issue is that they just don’t have the talent up front to get home. Carl Lawson led the team in sacks with just 5.5, and the next closest was Sam Hubbard with two. The team needs impact edge rushers in the worst way, and I fully expect them to prioritize that this offseason. 

YOUTH

One of the main factors that contributed to the Bengals’ losing season was that they are just so young and inexperienced at so many key positions. Having good young players is fine and great, but these young players still need to take their lumps and adjust to this level of the game. 
Burrow, who was sensational when he was healthy, is still just a rookie who needs to learn how to win at the NFL level. Tee Higgins is another rookie who showed outstanding promise, but again is just a rookie and had his share of rookie mistakes. Defensively, the team started multiple rookies at linebacker in Logan Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither, while also starting a second-year player in Germaine Pratt. This youth and inexperience at the second level of their defense were exposed by opposing offenses all season long. 

OFFENSIVE LINE

Perhaps the most glaring hole on this entire roster, the Bengals’ offensive line in 2020 was horrid. The unit struggled badly both run blocking and pass blocking and got their young star quarterback beat up routinely. Prior to suffering his ACL injury, Burrow was sacked 32 times, which at the time was the most in the league. When I evaluated this offensive line over the course of the season, I came away asking myself this question: Is there a player that should be a starter on this team again in 2021? The answer for the most part was no. 
The team can definitely improve on all three interior players. Guard Michael Jordan was benched, and Xavier Sua-Filo, Billy Price, and Quinton Spain are all backup level players as well. Center Trey Hopkins, who entering the year was considered the unit's best player, was up and down this season and certainly isn’t a guy I would be afraid of moving on from. 
Right tackle is another area the team can definitely improve on, as Bobby Hart and Fred Johnson are not the answer. At left tackle, 2019 first-round pick Jonah Williams showed some promise, and had a good amount of quality reps that lead me to believe he can be a player to build around moving forward.
One thing is definitely clear, if the Bengals hope to improve their 2020 record, then they need to invest in the offensive line. 

COACHING 

The last one on this list is coaching, and while it definitely is hard to blame the struggles of the Bengals solely on head coach Zac Taylor, as this roster lacks depth and talent and the injuries were quite substantial, Taylor does deserve some blame. My biggest gripe with Taylor this season is how they used and managed Burrow.
Prior to going down with injury, Burrow led the NFL in pass attempts. That stat is baffling, and honestly is on the verge of malpractice in my opinion. To subject your promising young rookie quarterback to playing behind that bad of an offensive line is one thing, but to have him take the most dropbacks of any NFL quarterback behind that offensive line is reckless, and ultimately got him injured. Taylor needed to protect his quarterback, and he failed to do so. Taylor will be given another shot in 2021, but with his 6-25-1 record in two seasons, he is squarely on the hot seat. 

Final verdict

Each of the Bengals’ biggest culprits have been outlined, but who (or what) owns the greatest claim of credit for Cincinnati’s disappointing 2020 season? In order of most to least blame:

• Injuries
  • Offensive Line
  • Defensive Line
  • Youth and Inexperience
  • Coaching
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 04:43 PM)Synric Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-cincinnati-bengals-blame-game

Ninja But we can't use injuries as an excuse.... Good coaching can apparently take and entire team of practice squad players and win big.   Ninja

oh, and  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Kind of what some of the minority of us have been saying. Too many injuries to overcome this year.
Reply/Quote
my order is reversed good coaching can help many of those other things besides injuries (although even some of those might have been avoided)
Reply/Quote
Hubbard needs to really step.bis game up in 2021.'he has regressed
In his ability to get to the QB. Hes not a game changer by any means
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:01 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Ninja But we can't use injuries as an excuse.... Good coaching can apparently take and entire team of practice squad players and win big.   Ninja

oh, and  Ninja

The idea is that all teams can use the injury excuse because it is a violent game where a lot of NFL players get hurt; therefore, the injury excuse should not be over used when discussing organizational shortcomings.

Blaming injuries might suggest that the team would have been great without the injuries. I'm a Joe Burrow fanboy and think we have something special, but even if he didn't get hurt the team was still going to have a losing record. Would the injury card have still been played if Burrow was healthy and maybe the same for DJ Reader? 

This article offered an interesting perspective as to why the injury excuse shouldn't be uttered a certain way. Kind of like how it was phrased the way Brown did in his bullish letter of support for Zac: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/playing-the-injury-card-always-a-poor-excuse/1o9ecwcrbbo8i1n1ygcomiblmt

Quote:What these teams should really be saying is "We weren't good enough or deep enough to overcome the injuries we suffered" because that is the fact of the matter. Injuries really aren't an excuse,

You might not agree with the opinion, but it is easy to understand and not something to readily dismiss.
Reply/Quote
Coaching.

And the paragraph about coaching may as well have been written by me. It's exactly how I feel about the way Zac handled Burrow.

Reckless.
Reply/Quote
The injury excuse would be a lot more valid if we were winning prior to the majority of those players going down.

We were 2-6-1 with Joe Burrow and Jonah Williams both playing.

We were 1-4-1 with Joe Burrow, Jonah Willaims, and Joe Mixon all playing.

We were 1-3-1 with Joe Burrow, Jonah Williams, Joe Mixon, and DJ Reader all playing.

I know I'm not the first to bring this up, and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. But this is something people continually choose to ignore.

You can't say, "well were bad because we were without Joe Burrow" when we were bad with Joe Burrow. And that goes for everyone else I just listed above.

It's not like we were seeing a significant difference in success (W/L's) with guys that was immediately altered when they went down.

Do injuries matter? Sure. Would we have been better had they not incurred? Probably. But it's not like this is some 10 win team if Burrow and Mixon, and whoever manage to stay healthy.

And let's be honest, if it takes your entire starting lineup to remain fully healthy and intact for you to succeed, then that's just further proof you team isn't very good. That amount of luck doesn't exist in this league. Every team can play the "what if?" game.

This team wasn't a good football team. Period. Those who immediately run to the injury excuse (like they did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that) are only looking for reasons to rationalize something they don't want to admit. That we stink.
Reply/Quote
bfine does not like this wording:

Quote:Burrow was having one of the better rookie seasons we had ever seen, and proved to be well worth the No. 1 overall pick. His injury was crippling,
As to the rest:good read. Thanks for sharing. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Hubbard needs to really step.bis game up in 2021.'he has regressed
In his ability to get to the QB. Hes not a game changer by any means

He never was. Hubbard profiles more as a 3-4 end, and his limited athleticism and explosion limit his pass rushing capabilities.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:49 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: He never was.  Hubbard profiles more as a 3-4 end, and his limited athleticism and explosion limit his pass rushing capabilities.

I also suspect that not having interior D-line pressure is allowing offenses to ensure that our ends don't have their way.  In previous years, Geno got two people assigned to him at all times.
Reply/Quote
Goddamn it. The injury to Burrow was self inflicted. Coaching malpractice.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:39 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The idea is that all teams can use the injury excuse because it is a violent game where a lot of NFL players get hurt; therefore, the injury excuse should not be over used when discussing organizational shortcomings.

Blaming injuries might suggest that the team would have been great without the injuries. I'm a Joe Burrow fanboy and think we have something special, but even if he didn't get hurt the team was still going to have a losing record. Would the injury card have still been played if Burrow was healthy and maybe the same for DJ Reader? 

This article offered an interesting perspective as to why the injury excuse shouldn't be uttered a certain way. Kind of like how it was phrased the way Brown did in his bullish letter of support for Zac: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/playing-the-injury-card-always-a-poor-excuse/1o9ecwcrbbo8i1n1ygcomiblmt

You might not agree with the opinion, but it is easy to understand and not something to readily dismiss.

I do actually agree, was just being silly was all.  It definitely affected our W/L category, but to what extent is pure speculation.  I'd really just like to not have to wonder for once.  Next year we need to be healthy.  If we suck (which we won't), then at least we can't wonder what if.

At this point, laughter is the best medicine for what's been a tragic couple years of losing.
Reply/Quote
Coaches are directly responsible for the Oline and the pass rush, so...
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Coaches is directly responsible for the Oline and the pass rush, so...

Players are definitely not responsible for their performance.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:49 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: He never was. Hubbard profiles more as a 3-4 end, and his limited athleticism and explosion limit his pass rushing capabilities.

Disagree. He profiles as a LE in a 4-3.
Reply/Quote
It is wrong to say that the Bengals problems this year were caused by injuries.

But it is also silly to say that injuries do not effect how many games teams win. Lots of good teams have had their season derailed by too many big injuries.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:08 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Players are definitely not responsible for their performance.

Coaches pick what player plays and what their assignments are. Picking the wrong players and implementing a bad scheme is not on the players.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:08 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Players are definitely not responsible for their performance.

they are but its the coaches job to teach them to be better and put them in the best position to succeed....   Bad Pass blocking OL does not equal 40+ pass attempts a game. especially no long developing routes
Reply/Quote
While injuries wouldnt normally be an excuse, I did check and 8 of the top 10 paid players were out for various reasons. While they should be doing better, this would derail probably every team
Reply/Quote