Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Vs. Wins (Our Injuries are Overstated)
(01-06-2021, 06:16 PM)Bernards watch Wrote: While injuries wouldnt normally be an excuse, I did check and 8 of the top 10 paid players were out for various reasons. While they should be doing better, this would derail probably every team

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Injuries-Vs-Wins-Our-Injuries-are-Overstated
Reply/Quote
The LBs overall performed poorly (mainly in run defense), hardly any injuries there.
The DL had typically (at least) two of Hubbard, Lawson, and Dunlap for nearly every game, yet still unable to get a pass rush.
Michael Jordan was the planned LG starter and stayed in that role most of the season.
There was no mitigation plan for Xavier Su'a-Filo being out.
AJ Green, who was the 2nd highest cap hit among all WRs in the league this year, only put up 47 receptions for 523 yards on 104 targets.
RB1 (Mixon) and RB2 (Bernard) were held to 3.6 and 3.4 YPC.

So while I think injuries impacted the season, I think personnel and playcalling were a bigger problem. And that falls on the coaches and FO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:16 PM)Bernards watch Wrote: While injuries wouldnt normally be an excuse, I did check and 8 of the top 10 paid players were out for various reasons. While they should be doing better, this would derail probably every team

Yes, but that doesn't fit the agenda of pure ZT hatred.  So you won't find sound logic here.
Reply/Quote
I just want to know how you beat a masterful cover 2 defense. It stymied the bengals juggernaut offense and mind boggled Zac Taylor
Reply/Quote
Once injuries started to pile up it really showed
Zac and Lou's inability to adapt the gameplan to the personal and
Get the most out of it. But I attribute that to Zacs
Ego and unwillingness to admit to himself he is
Ever wrong.
Good coaches know to get the most out of their talent.
Good coaches adapt and learn.
Zacs inability to successfully gameplan on Sunday was facilitated by asking Burrow to drop back 45 times

"Hey coach what the gameplan Sunday"
"We will live or die on JBs arm......he gets sacked he gets
Sacked oh well....this is the NFL...."
"But shouldnt we have balanced attack do.defenses wont
Tee off on him........"
"Well yeah hes gonna throw Tee the ball....."
Zac is a legend and master gameplanner in.his own.head
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:08 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Players are definitely not responsible for their performance.

So you think Ryan Tannehill just ate some magic beans or something when he went from Miami to Tennessee?

Players are like race cars and coaches are like drivers.  Even the fastest car will lose a race if it has a poor driver.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 06:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Coaches are directly responsible for the Oline and the pass rush, so...

How so? If you look at the article you'll see we were in the top half of teams that blitzed the QB; that's coaching. When those blitzers don't get there that's players.

Now if the coaches drafted the players then you'd have a point; but they don't, they must use what they have. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You coach the individuals to improve their weaknesses and technique. You look at tape to see what needs tweaking and make amends. Not just blitzing over and over again
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How so? If you look at the article you'll see we were in the top half of teams that blitzed the QB; that's coaching. When those blitzers don't get there that's players.

Now if the coaches drafted the players then you'd have a point; but they don't, they must use what they have. 

I already answered this in my next post. Our coaches do participate in the scouting and putting together the draft board. They also decide who gets playing time. Which coach is teaching pass rush technique? Lou the DB coach, Eason the 3-4 NT?
Reply/Quote
Injuries werent the only issue but it compounded the issues that were there.

The Offensive and Defensive lines struggled and then were hit with injuries making the situation alot worse. The Linebacker Core is Young and were struggling with run fits that was compounded because they had alot of nobodies in front of them on the line. How many different offensive line combinations did we see 10 to 12?

Depth and experience are a problem in Cincinnati.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How so? If you look at the article you'll see we were in the top half of teams that blitzed the QB; that's coaching. When those blitzers don't get there that's players.

I disagree.  There are dozens of different ways to blitz and stunt.  Not only which players to bring but how to delay or hide the blitz for maximum effect.  And knowing when to blitz makes a big difference also.

If a team has a vanilla blitz package and only uses it on obvious passing downs then the offense won't have a lot of problem picking it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 07:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.  There are dozens of different ways to blitz and stunt.  Not only which players to bring but how to delay or hide the blitz for maximum effect.  And knowing when to blitz makes a big difference also.

If a team has a vanilla blitz package and only uses it on obvious passing downs then the offense won't have a lot of problem picking it up.

WTH is a vanilla biltz package; is that when we blitz Logan Wilson and Sam Hubbard? And I'd assume most teams employ a blitz more often on passing downs. I mean it could just be a Bengal coaching thing, but I doubt it. 

Reply/Quote
Vanilla = no trickery, no delays or attempts to disguise.

And our blitzes tend to be VERY vanilla not to mention we seem to have no clue on how to disguise a blitz.
Reply/Quote
[Image: Eqgz2f7WMAYK7OQ?format=png&name=small]

Also, you know the article is no good when it blames the players for the lack of sacks rather than Anarumo, just because he calls blitzes. Just because you blitz doesn't mean it's a well timed or well designed blitz. Dunlap left midseason and got 5 sacks in 8 games in a new system.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 04:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They were 1-4-1 in games where Burrow, Mixon and Jonah all played. 

Harsh reality, but reality none-the-less.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also, you know the article is no good when it blames the players for the lack of sacks rather than Anarumo, just because he calls blitzes. Just because you blitz doesn't mean it's a well timed or well designed blitz. Dunlap left midseason and got 5 sacks in 8 games in a new system.

I guess I have o idea why folks like Myles Garret get drafted #1OA or why Von Miller got $114 Mil contract. They should just hire coaches that know how to call blitzes.

As to us "calling them wrong"; I think that's just something someone made up and others ran with it. I've seen plenty "trickeration". I've seen out Dlinemen in coverage much more than I care to 

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: Eqgz2f7WMAYK7OQ?format=png&name=small]

Also, you know the article is no good when it blames the players for the lack of sacks rather than Anarumo, just because he calls blitzes. Just because you blitz doesn't mean it's a well timed or well designed blitz. Dunlap left midseason and got 5 sacks in 8 games in a new system.

In the same system in 2019 Dunlap was having one of the best years of his career.

Edit: He was actually better in Lou's System in 2019 than he is in Seattle...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 08:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess I have o idea why folks like Myles Garret get drafted #1OA or why Von Miller got $114 Mil contract. They should just hire coaches that know how to call blitzes.

As to us "calling them wrong"; I think that's just something someone made up and others ran with it. I've seen plenty "trickeration". I've seen out Dlinemen in coverage much more than I care to 

I know you're trying to ride on your highhorse as a smartass right now, but it's not a matter of coaches turning nobodies into Myles Garrett... but bad coaches can turn Myles Garrett into nobodies.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 08:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess I have o idea why folks like Myles Garret get drafted #1OA or why Von Miller got $114 Mil contract. They should just hire coaches that know how to call blitzes.

Look at what Mike Zimmer produced here from 2009-2013.  He took a defense that wasn't exactly filled with high round talent, nor high priced free agents, and turned them into one of the better defenses in the league.

Coaching matters.  Scheme matters.  Playcalling matters.  Development, rotation, relationships, ect. etc. etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 05:01 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Ninja But we can't use injuries as an excuse.... Good coaching can apparently take and entire team of practice squad players and win big.   Ninja

oh, and  Ninja

You are right. 

Why pay high priced FA's or worry about getting first round talent when all you need is good coaches. 
Reply/Quote