Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Insider information: Things I think I know heading in to the first day of the draft
(04-26-2017, 01:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have seen him going in the 1st or as some here say to us at 41. I believe both of those positions are way too high. If we are talking late 2nd to 3rd I could see it. As for the 240 pound comment you are missing a bigger picture about how we deploy backs. We are going to platoon meaning someone to compliment Gio makes more sense then someone who is similar.

Just because you are platooning doesnt mean they have to be different. The falcons platoon and both of those backs do the same things very well. One is a little faster but thats pretty much it.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:20 PM)yang Wrote: Daniel Jeremiah's NFL mock yesterday had Ross going in the 2nd.  Most have him going at 18. He might be all that and a bag of nickels too, but I still don't see him at 9.  Hopefully we can trade back and nab him.    

The problem there is we have 11 picks and all them will not make the team.  We need more quality than quantity.   Perhaps using multiple picks to move back up?

He's clueless
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:20 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Thanks for the updates SHRacerX, but sincerely I hope you're blowing smoke up our posterior.  I say that with respect!  It makes me paranoid to see that the Bengals would be giving out so much info on their draft thoughts to someone on the outside.  This combined with Lapham being allowed in to see the board and knowing that he would talk about it a day or two in advance just doesn't strike me as very smart on the Bengals' part because I'm sure some teams have wised up to this by now.  I hope all this is a smokescreen done on purpose by the Bengals, but I am afraid not, since Lap has been predicting Bengals 1st round picks correctly (or pretty close) for the last few years.

To be fair, I posted this before Lap's interview's today...so, you heard it here first.  And I did nail the first, second, sixth, and seventh round picks last year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 08:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can tell you that I was shocked that the Bengals took Vigil in the 3rd round last year, as Billings was still available.  They see the LB position in nickel 70% of the time, so you are going to have one of them off the field already.  I can't see them choosing Reddick.  

Yeah, I really agree with this.  I think Reddick would be one pick that would really piss me off to be honest. 

As for the Foreman/Hill comparison I have not read stats on them or compared.  I am strictly talking the eye test on my part by watching video.  I'll accept that as of now he is a little faster but to me he just seems to be the same mold.   I would not be upset with him in the 3rd, I would probably rather have Samaje Perrin (sp).  That dude breaks tackles!  

But honestly If we only drafted lineman and corners in the first 3 rounds of every draft I would probably be happy.  Give me a great Oline and I will find a running back.  Give me a great defense and I'll find a way to win games.
Reply/Quote
I see bust written all over Ross. He screams Troy Williamson to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 08:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I see bust written all over Ross. He screams Troy Williamson to me.

Williamson, if I recall, was a track star that was a pure height - weight - speed prospect. I don't remember him having a single 1,000 yard season or 10 touchdown season in college.

Ross is at least an accomplished player. I know he only had 1 truly elite season, but he scored 17 touchdowns that season.

I'm not worried at all about Ross's ability to produce in the NFL. He's been noted as a great route runner and "more than a track star" which would make him and Williamson rather dissimilar.

The thing I'm worried about is Ross staying healthy. He's a slight receiver at only 5'11" 188 lbs and he already had surgery on both of his knees.

I would love to actually have a first round pick play in their rookie season for once. Hasn't really happened since Tyler Eifert haha.
Reply/Quote
I'd love Ross or Mike Williams. I like Boyd and Core but as the 3rd and 4th WR's. Plus Lafell for another year 2 years
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:39 AM)lostpoet2 Wrote: I think Ross projects more as a rich man's DeSean Jackson-a short but lightning fast big play receiver.

Like Antonio Brown?  They're the same size. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 09:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Williamson, if I recall, was a track star that was a pure height - weight - speed prospect. I don't remember him having a single 1,000 yard season or 10 touchdown season in college.

Ross is at least an accomplished player. I know he only had 1 truly elite season, but he scored 17 touchdowns that season.

I'm not worried at all about Ross's ability to produce in the NFL. He's been noted as a great route runner and "more than a track star" which would make him and Williamson rather dissimilar.

The thing I'm worried about is Ross staying healthy. He's a slight receiver at only 5'11" 188 lbs and he already had surgery on both of his knees.

I would love to actually have a first round pick play in their rookie season for once. Hasn't really happened since Tyler Eifert haha.

Dude, you know your shit brother... Cool
Reply/Quote
It's official Brian Pettronia just confirmed, it's Ross
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:50 PM)bonesaw Wrote: It's official Brian Pettronia just confirmed, it's Ross

Honestly, there are lots of players i would be fine with at 9 but injuries aside this guy could probably help us the most
initially. You have to gamble at times if you want to find that great player in the first round. Injured knees he ran with
and quite a few teams are content with his knees that ran a 4.22 forty at the combine.

I would be quite content if this guy turns into the great player he could.

Even OJ Howard is not a sure thing at 9 injury wise, everyone gets injured. Shipley had good knees before he entered
the draft. Look what happened...
Reply/Quote
Thank for sharing SHRacer. Got any ideas on the later rounds. I bet they love Tyus Bowser and TJ Watt, got any feeling on those guys
Reply/Quote
In a draft that should have star defensive players as deep as 15... we pick a receiver with serious knee injuries? Man I hope these rumors aren't true.

That would be as bad as taking a tackle in the first round with a significant injury that would limit his ability to catch up to the NFL level for at least a few seasons...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:06 PM)Benton Wrote: In a draft that should have star defensive players as deep as 15... we pick a receiver with serious knee injuries? Man I hope these rumors aren't true.

That would be as bad as taking a tackle in the first round with a significant injury that would limit his ability to catch up to the NFL level for at least a few seasons...

Still wondering where this star Defensive player is at 9 if Allen and Thomas are gone and we aren't going for Reddick...

This draft is deep at End and Barnett is a bad run stopper that is small and not very physical.

Lots of good Ends can be had at 41 and even in the 3rd round that can help this team immensely.

Talent like John Ross is extremely rare. He is everything we have never had on Offense that could make us dangerous to our rivals.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:06 PM)Benton Wrote: In a draft that should have star defensive players as deep as 15... we pick a receiver with serious knee injuries? Man I hope these rumors aren't true.

Remember there was some doubt when the Bengals drafted their only Hall of Famer out of college because of significant knee injuries.  And there are also countless cases where the player was durable in college and glass in the NFL (Chris Perry).  

Almost every pick in Rd 1 has some warts of some kind.  However, it is a very deep draft of really good talent on defense and I am sure they will be adding depth at LB, DT, DE, and possibly CB.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Talent like John Ross is extremely rare. He is everything we have never had on Offense that could make us dangerous to our rivals.

This statement made me think that Ozzie might try to jump to #8 and take him.  However, they have Wallace and Perrimen, it would seem with those two that Williams would be a better fit for them.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 08:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This statement made me think that Ozzie might try to jump to #8 and take him.  However, they have Wallace and Perrimen, it would seem with those two that Williams would be a better fit for them.  

I think Corey Davis is the pick for Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:01 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Thank for sharing SHRacer.  Got any ideas on the later rounds.  I bet they love Tyus Bowser and TJ Watt, got any feeling on those guys

I could see the first 5 rounds looking something like this if the chips fall their way...

Round 1 Pick 9: John Ross, WR, Washington (A-)

Round 2 Pick 9: T.J. Watt, OLB/DE, Wisconsin (B-)
Round 3 Pick 9: D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas (C-)
Round 4 Pick 9: Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington (A)
Round 4 Pick 31 (COMP): Brandon Wilson, CB, Houston (C-)
Round 5 Pick 9: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (C+)
Round 5 Pick 32 (COMP): Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington (C-)

Nevermind the "draft grades" assigned by the sim....I would be pretty happy with this haul.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 08:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think Corey Davis is the pick for Baltimore.

Want to bet a six pack of your favorite between the two?  Not saying you are wrong, but it would be fun.

I say Williams to Baltimore if he is there.  You think Corey Davis?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Want to bet a six pack of your favorite between the two?  Not saying you are wrong, but it would be fun.

I say Williams to Baltimore if he is there.  You think Corey Davis?

Not really betting on the draft is frankly dumb. If we were talking strictly based on schematics I'd say Davis is a better fit. When you break down their film what you see a team who usually only pushes one guy up the field to clear out the underneath. I think what Davis brings is the underneath route running that they will like. I also still believe Williams goes before Baltimroe so it may be moot.
Reply/Quote