Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insomnia
(12-03-2021, 12:53 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Haha…I will call you up to Cincinnati when this eventually happens.

You got yourself through those bad times, my friend. I’m glad I could help during the process though.

Side note: can you believe that was like 10 years ago? It’s super shocking when I think about it….it really doesn’t seem that far away.

Bro, I'll never forget the night you were talking to me on your phone while still in school, making pizza deliveries.  Believe me man, you were a lot of support.

You let me know when that time comes, and we'll be there.  I would love to meet your family.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: could never stand vaping....  I tried vaping to quit cigs too and just couldnt do it.

Smoking should help you sleep. if not smoke some more

Also i stop doing things like playing games or watching something new at least 20-30 minutes before i want to go to bed.   And put on a movie ive seen (or at least started) 100s of times...  something with a nice slow intro you can fall alseep too.    Close your eyes and play the movie in your head and boom.... your asleep on the couch.

Vaping is a game changer for smoking in public places where it's not legal. It's also much easier at night when you have kids in the house. A little trip to the garage, no one smells anything, it's faster, etc.  Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 11:09 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I hear ya' brother.  Sometimes I have to be careful, it drops too far sometimes.  Not dangerous, low 70's.  And btw man.  How have I known you all these years and not known you smoked?  

They will find a ton of legit uses for cannabis.  And the economic boost would benefit this country tremendously.  Sales, reasonably taxed, combined with less waste of tax money to prosecute people for silly Draconian laws.

Damn.  Maybe I better head out to the garage.
Hilarious

Well, I had quit for years. My job used to be more dangerous than it is now. I couldn't afford to get hurt or killed at work and have the insurance deny coverage. Now that I'm more of a desk jockey, I can toke a little. I still don't everyday, but sometimes a day or two during the week, and most weekends I toke. It also helped me drink less. The wife has gone back to nursing school, so she works weekends. My kids are older now, so I can slip off to the garage and have a few hits, and unwind on Friday and Saturday night. I also usually smoke some before the Bengals games, they're much quieter around here now. LOL

There are already numerous uses that they simply ignore. Why we still use petro chemicals for plastic is beyond me. Why we use petroleum for asphalt binder, lubricants, diesel, etc, etc. We won't even get into health benefits of marijuana. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 05:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well, I had quit for years. My job used to be more dangerous than it is now. I couldn't afford to get hurt or killed at work and have the insurance deny coverage. Now that I'm more of a desk jockey, I can toke a little. I still don't everyday, but sometimes a day or two during the week, and most weekends I toke. It also helped me drink less. The wife has gone back to nursing school, so she works weekends. My kids are older now, so I can slip off to the garage and have a few hits, and unwind on Friday and Saturday night. I also usually smoke some before the Bengals games, they're much quieter around here now. LOL

There are already numerous uses that they simply ignore. Why we still use petro chemicals for plastic is beyond me. Why we use petroleum for asphalt binder, lubricants, diesel, etc, etc. We won't even get into health benefits of marijuana. 

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 04:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Vaping is a game changer for smoking in public places where it's not legal. It's also much easier at night when you have kids in the house. A little trip to the garage, no one smells anything, it's faster, etc.  Wink

Here in Tennessee marijuana is still completely illegal.  But you can legally buy Delta-8 vaps.

None of this makes any sense, but vaping is really a game changer.  I remember a few years ago before it was so easily available reading a story about how easy it was to travel with large quantities of marijuana vap oil and then being able to vap in a no-smoking hotel room.  The guy even joked about vaping and exhaling directly into the smoke detector.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here in Tennessee marijuana is still completely illegal.  But you can legally buy Delta-8 vaps.

None of this makes any sense, but vaping is really a game changer.  I remember a few years ago before it was so easily available reading a story about how easy it was to travel with large quantities of marijuana vap oil and then being able to vap in a no-smoking hotel room.  The guy even joked about vaping and exhaling directly into the smoke detector.

fred, do you mind if I ask you, seriously, what is your over all opinion of cannabis?  I'm genuinely curious.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 11:08 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: fred, do you mind if I ask you, seriously, what is your over all opinion of cannabis?  I'm genuinely curious.

It is not good for you, but it does less damage than alcohol and all the other "illegal" drugs. 

When it comes to the "useless pot heads" I think it is more a case of "correlation" than "causation".  I can see why pot would be a very popular drug among lazy people who just want to lay around all day killing time (some times I am one of those people).  But I have known quite a few successful, dependable people who smoked pot on a regular basis.  It seems to be pretty popular among engineers, but that is purely anecdotal evidence based on my own personal experience.  

It is not physically addictive, but when I used to smoke every day it would effect my mood if I ran out.  I would feel a little grumpy and on edge.  But many years ago when I got my first life insurance policy I had been smoking very regular for years.  I had to quit for a few weeks and it was no problem.  I drank more alcohol for a week or so but that was about it.

I used to drink a lot when I wanted to party (not on an every day basis), and by far the best thing I can say about pot now is that it keeps me from drinking a lot.  At my age (59) drinking a lot takes a hard toll on my body.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 12:09 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay...I usually cut off all caffeine around 6 or 7.  And I don't drink much during the day.  My resting heartbeat is normal as I do have hypertension, we check my blood pressure daily.  And it's well controlled.  And as I mentioned above, I do consume cannabis.  But I've been smoking since I was a teenager and never had ANY problems with sleeping, or insomnia until recently.

If I remember correctly, you're in the medical profession?  Both my grandfather and father suffered from insomnia.  Could it be hereditary? 

That's most likely the problem then.  Some time ago I saw that a study found a large number of long term pot smokers who start as teenagers develop insomnia in adulthood.  I started as a teen and smoked it until I was 30 or so, and I definitely had insomnia throughout my late 20s, 30s, and early 40s.  I haven't used marijuana since I was 31, and in my early 40s the insomnia subsided (49 now).  To this day I still take a melatonin before bedtime (it's supposed to be an hour before hand, but generally when I climb into bed) and often a benadryl as well.  This knocks me out within 20 minutes or so.

(11-28-2021, 11:14 PM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Does melatonin **** with your dreams at all? I don’t typically remember my dreams, but it seems that when I take melatonin, they are vivid, and often frightening.

(11-28-2021, 11:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I hallucinated on Melatonin and, like you wrote, the experience was horrifying.

It could be the dosage.  I hated it at first for the very reasons you two describe.  My girlfriend is the one who had the stuff.  That bottle ran out and we got one that was 3mg, far less than the prior, and I had no issues with it.  Since that point we have never gotten anything with more than 3mg and I have never had those episodes again.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 12:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Some time ago I saw that a study found a large number of long term pot smokers who start as teenagers develop insomnia in adulthood. 

As I said before.  If I smoke during the day it makes me tired at night.  But if I don't smoke until night time it will get my brain running and keep me awake.

I started smoking in college and smoked pretty much every day for many years.  I did not get married and start a family until I was almost 40.  So that was close to 20 years.
Reply/Quote
I find that exercise greatly improves my sleep. I sleep hard on days that I work out and have a bit of difficulty staying out if I go a few days without lifting or rowing. I will be out on the couch at 9 or 10 on most nights. Then again, I do get up for work at 4.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not good for you, but it does less damage than alcohol and all the other "illegal" drugs. 

When it comes to the "useless pot heads" I think it is more a case of "correlation" than "causation".  I can see why pot would be a very popular drug among lazy people who just want to lay around all day killing time (some times I am one of those people).  But I have known quite a few successful, dependable people who smoked pot on a regular basis.  It seems to be pretty popular among engineers, but that is purely anecdotal evidence based on my own personal experience.  

It is not physically addictive, but when I used to smoke every day it would effect my mood if I ran out.  I would feel a little grumpy and on edge.  But many years ago when I got my first life insurance policy I had been smoking very regular for years.  I had to quit for a few weeks and it was no problem.  I drank more alcohol for a week or so but that was about it.

I used to drink a lot when I wanted to party (not on an every day basis), and by far the best thing I can say about pot now is that it keeps me from drinking a lot.  At my age (59) drinking a lot takes a hard toll on my body.

Thanks for the straight answer fred.  Very interesting.  And after knowing you all this time, imagining you smoking is a stretch for my imagination, a bit.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 12:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That's most likely the problem then.  Some time ago I saw that a study found a large number of long term pot smokers who start as teenagers develop insomnia in adulthood.  I started as a teen and smoked it until I was 30 or so, and I definitely had insomnia throughout my late 20s, 30s, and early 40s.  I haven't used marijuana since I was 31, and in my early 40s the insomnia subsided (49 now).  To this day I still take a melatonin before bedtime (it's supposed to be an hour before hand, but generally when I climb into bed) and often a benadryl as well.  This knocks me out within 20 minutes or so.

You realize this isn't the answer I was looking for at 57 years old!  Lol  But I was not aware of this.  Uh oh.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 02:28 PM)samhain Wrote: I find that exercise greatly improves my sleep.  I sleep hard on days that I work out and have a bit of difficulty staying out if I go a few days without lifting or rowing.  I will be out on the couch at 9 or 10 on most nights.  Then again, I do get up for work at 4.

Do you work out in the earlier or later parts of the day?  I tried to do it in the evenings when I had more time, but I found the activity just amped me up rather than tiring me out, so I switched back to mornings.  But it can be hard to drag put of bed and do the right things sometimes.  On the weekends, holidays and vacation days I can at least save it for a little later in the day.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 08:14 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You realize this isn't the answer I was looking for at 57 years old!  Lol  But I was not aware of this.  Uh oh.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

You should google it.  I want to say it was like 40% or so of people who started in their teens and smoked long term that developed insomnia in adulthood.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 09:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

You should google it.  I want to say it was like 40% or so of people who started in their teens and smoked long term that developed insomnia in adulthood.

Oh I trust you man.  I don't think there's any chance of me quitting at this point.  I derive way too many benefits from it, plus, let's be honest...it's fun.  I'm just wondering if adding some melatonin into the mix at bedtime would help.  Also, I don't want you guys thinking I sit around all day and get stoned, Lol

I sometimes go several days without.  But thanks to all the input in this thread.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:00 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Oh I trust you man.  I don't think there's any chance of me quitting at this point.  I derive way too many benefits from it, plus, let's be honest...it's fun.  I'm just wondering if adding some melatonin into the mix at bedtime would help.  Also, I don't want you guys thinking I sit around all day and get stoned, Lol

I sometimes go several days without.  But thanks to all the input in this thread.  ThumbsUp

I think all you do all day is get high and do mock drafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:59 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think all you do all day is get high and do mock drafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I promise you that my thoughts of YOUR typical day are far more colorful, Sunkist!
Reply/Quote
Where's hollodero? I would love to get his "colorful" personal Austrian view on the topic of cannibis.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 08:31 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Do you work out in the earlier or later parts of the day?  I tried to do it in the evenings when I had more time, but I found the activity just amped me up rather than tiring me out, so I switched back to mornings.  But it can be hard to drag put of bed and do the right things sometimes.  On the weekends, holidays and vacation days I can at least save it for a little later in the day.  

I have to work out in the early evening.  I'd be up at 3am if I did it in the morning.  That's no good when I have to be up til 9pm with my son.  I try to get at least 6 and a half hours of quality sleep.  My job is fairly physically active, so that coupled with 4-5 days of workouts keep me ready to sleep when it's time.  

To be honest, I can drink caffeine or even a preworkout before a 5:30pm workout and still be falling asleep at 8:30 no problem.  It's not the healthiest thing to do, but sometimes it's needed.

If my work started at 7 or 8am, I'd absolutely try to workout before work. I actually tried it for a week a few years ago. I was so tired in the gym that I tried to walk out a bar from a squat rack that was only loaded on one side, lol. No thanks.

Another side note: I find that eating a lot of greens at night tends to relax me. Kale, spinach, chard, even some romaine in large amounts work. I blend a full box of Kroger Power greens with about 8oz of OJ after my workout on most nights. I have nights when I run out, and I feel like I'm slower to relax on those evenings. Might be a psychological thing, but I notice it.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Thanks for the straight answer fred.  Very interesting.  And after knowing you all this time, imagining you smoking is a stretch for my imagination, a bit.   Wink

Really?  Fred is probably the most legit hippie on this board.
Reply/Quote