Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulated view on campus
(06-20-2017, 06:20 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: So, what is the story behind "news"?

I had heard it came from North, East, West and South but I don't know.

New information. Since a newspaper has multiple information pieces, news is pluralized to news. News paper.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-20-2017, 06:36 PM)Benton Wrote: New information. Since a newspaper has multiple information pieces, news is pluralized to news. News paper.

Oh, cool. When I heard it was in third grade I think and the teacher was making a joke I think. That was a long time ago though.
(06-20-2017, 06:36 PM)Benton Wrote: New information. Since a newspaper has multiple information pieces, news is pluralized to news. News paper.

The word "news" was in use before newspapers though.

I'm pretty sure it was a plural adjective that became nominalized in Middle English.

It was not an acronym for north east west south, and MOST DEFINITELY not for news events weather sports, or whatever that other option was.
(06-21-2017, 02:08 AM)Dill Wrote: The word "news" was in use before newspapers though.

I'm pretty sure it was a plural adjective that became nominalized in Middle English.

It was not an acronym for north east west south, and MOST DEFINITELY not for news events weather sports, or whatever that other option was.

Yeah, 14th century.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

I wonder if Thomas Paine ever envisioned dissemination of news evolving, or devolving into what it is today, in America?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23