Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Early Season Comparison
2 Good Second Year QBs with close stat comparisons!!

BURROW
CMP   ATT   CMP%   YDS   AVG  TD  INT  LNG  RTG
104     145     71.7     1269    8.8    11    6      70    106.4

HERBERT
139     207     67.2      1576    7.6    13    3     72     104.7
Reply/Quote
I'd say it has alot to do with coaching as well, Zac Taylor seems to play not to lose rather than to win the game.

We get in situations where we can put it in Burrows hands and instead we run for a couple yards and try to kick a 57 yard FG.

It seems like the chargers on the other hand play to win, they put the offense out there and play aggressive as seen in the Chiefs game earlier this year.

Coaching matters and Zac Taylors offense is pretty bad, you can see the talent we have in flashes but it's like we're holding back most of the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 11:50 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I'd say it has alot to do with coaching as well, Zac Taylor seems to play not to lose rather than to win the game.

We get in situations where we can put it in Burrows hands and instead we run for a couple yards and try to kick a 57 yard FG.

It seems like the chargers on the other hand play to win, they put the offense out there and play aggressive as seen in the Chiefs game earlier this year.

Coaching matters and Zac Taylors offense is pretty bad, you can see the talent we have in flashes but it's like we're holding back most of the game.

Well said.  I like the Bengals Burrow pick from what they KNEW at that time of the draft, but hindsight tells me that the potential of EITHER guy would have turned out to be a good pick, as opposed to Tua T, who were the 3 possible picks the Bengals were looking at!
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 11:32 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 2 Good Second Year QBs with close stat comparisons!!

BURROW
104     145     71.7     1269    8.8    11    6      70    106.4

HERBERT
139     207     67.2      1576    7.6    13    3     72     104.7

How does Herbert having a lower rating when he has Burrow beat on average yards, TDs, and INTs?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Here is some huge kudos to Joe that I heard Boomer bring up in the sit down the 2 of them had.

Joe does NOT wear the 'playbook wristbands' and Boomer gave him kudos for that and now I know why.

I started looking at film on some QBs and, even though I only looked at a few QBs, I'd be willing to bet MOST of them WEAR the playbook wristband INCLUDING Tom Brady!!!

Wow!  Well done Mr Burrow!!!!

This was an interesting take because in the game he had one on....  I think Boomer fell for the legend that is Burrow and put him in a bad spot by acting like he was some superhero for not wearing one.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
[Image: 1344168722.0.jpg]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Burrow being from Ohio and actually wanting to play for the Bengals coupled with his talent made him a no brainer.

Plus if I'm the Bengals evaluating two QB's that are similar and hard to choose between.

The one wanting to be here would get selected over a west coast guy who may hate it here like Carson did and not have his heart in Cincinnati.

Burrow is the right guy for the Bengals imo and believe Herbert is perfect for SD.

Win/Win

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: How does Herbert having a lower rating when he has Burrow beat on average yards, TDs, and INTs?

ESPN stats
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: This was an interesting take because in the game he had one on....  I think Boomer fell for the legend that is Burrow and put him in a bad spot by acting like he was some superhero for not wearing one.

I alluded to this in another thread that he decided to wear one and jinx the team.! Cool Was this the FIRST time he wore one?  If so, why?

Was he scared because it was the Packers?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: How does Herbert having a lower rating when he has Burrow beat on average yards, TDs, and INTs?

Number of pass attempts probably has a lot to do with it.
Herbert is 2nd in the league in pass attempts at 207.
Meanwhile, Burrow is 24th in pass attempts at 145 but he's 16th in yards and 8th in pass TDs.
Herbert basically has two more games passing than Burrow.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

It's the better completion% paired with the higher yards per completion.

so burrow is more "accurate" and throwing for bigger gains

that explains the slightly higher quarterback rating
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 01:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It's the better completion% paired with the higher yards per completion.

so burrow is more "accurate" and throwing for bigger gains

that explains the slightly higher quarterback rating

Yep. The difference in comp % and yards/attempt is significant, and those factor heavily in passer rating.

Average yards per game is no factor. Passer rating judges efficiency.

Btw, I can't stress enough how big the difference is between 8.8 ypa and 7.7.

7.7 is fairly pedestrian. 8.8 is top notch. Herbert is hitting his RBs on short throws a lot, yet still has a lower completion rate.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. The difference in comp % and yards/attempt is significant, and those factor heavily in passer rating.

Average yards per game is no factor. Passer rating judges efficiency.

Btw, I can't stress enough how big the difference is between 8.8 ypa and 7.7.

7.7 is fairly pedestrian. 8.8 is top notch. Herbert is hitting his RBs on short throws a lot, yet still has a lower completion rate.

yep
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 7.7 is fairly pedestrian. 8.8 is top notch. Herbert is hitting his RBs on short throws a lot, yet still has a lower completion rate.

Whats the Average Defensive Ranking for the Teams each as faced.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: How does Herbert having a lower rating when he has Burrow beat on average yards, TDs, and INTs?

As others have said, mostly his better completion %.

(10-11-2021, 01:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: ESPN stats

That’s QBR. Passer rating is the more commonly accepted rating, as we know exactly how it’s calculated.

Reply/Quote