Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interesting Stats - Post Stats in this Thread that you think are interesting
These are regular season numbers.

So we had 555 pass attempts. Opponents only blitzed us 132 times. Only 3 teams were blitzed less (Chiefs, Lions, and 49ers.)

Times hurried was 48 which was on the low end. Probably low quartile.
Times hit was 50 which was right in the middle. The high was 85. The low 23. I'd say most teams were in the 40 to 50 range.
Pressures were 153 which is right in the middle.
Pressure % was 24.2% - 11 teams were worse. (The worst team was pressured 28.3% of the time.) The Bills with Josh Allen were pressured 25.5% of the time. Eagles 26.1%. Titans 23.6%. I will say though, that generally the good teams have a lower percent with these outliers.
Sacks - 55 which is 3rd worst.

Average pocket time which is defined as the average amt of time a QB has in the pocket before throwing the ball or collapsing the pocked was 2.3 seconds. Which is the same as a bunch of teams. Some were worse, some better.

My Analysis - We need to improve the offensive line. No doubt. But the narrative that Burrow will be the next Andrew Luck is a bit overblown. He's not really getting hit far more than other QB's. Although, our sack numbers are really high.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm
Reply/Quote
On the Rushing side, for regular season:

Our Yards Before Contact was 2.2 ypc...which only 5 teams were worse.

Yards After Contact was 1.8 ypc...which was middle of the pack.

Broken Tackles was 36 which was towards the top third of the league.

Rush attempts per broken tackle was 12.1 which was also towards the third of the league.

My Analysis: While everyone focuses on pass blocking, our line may be worse at run blocking...atleast during the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Average pocket time which is defined as the average amt of time a QB has in the pocket before throwing the ball or collapsing the pocked was 2.3 seconds. Which is the same as a bunch of teams. Some were worse, some better.

My Analysis - We need to improve the offensive line. No doubt. But the narrative that Burrow will be the next Andrew Luck is a bit overblown. He's not really getting hit far more than other QB's. Although, our sack numbers are really high.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

It's no secret that Joe hangs onto the ball more than other QB's... which prevents risky throws... likely why his interception rate came down the 2nd half of the season.

The magic is finding the balance as well as fielding a better o-line
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Receiving Regular Season

We had 4806 Passing/Receiving Yards.
2449 was Yards after Catch. (3rd in the league).
Average Depth of Target 7.8 yards.
Yards Before Catch per reception was 6.1.
555 Targets

Interestingly Last season, we had 1788 YAC. Average Depth of Target 8 yards. Yards Before Catch per reception was 5.4 yards. 581 targets.

My Analysis: Chase is a game breaker and made a huge difference in the YAC. I think Burrow is a great QB, but the presence of Chase definately makes the offense more explosive than it would be otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:49 AM)QueenCity Wrote: It's no secret that Joe hangs onto the ball more than other QB's... which prevents risky throws... likely why his interception rate came down the 2nd half of the season.

The magic is finding the balance as well as fielding a better o-line

So the 2.3 seconds was middle of the pack. But as we know with averages...maybe he holds onto it longer on some plays and gets it out really quick on others.
Reply/Quote
Awesome thread, Pistons.

Shotgun Run Performance (Including Postseason) - 135 carries, 3.89 yards per carry, 40% success rate and -0.067 EPA per rush.

Under Center Run Performance [b](Including Postseason)[/b] - 365 carries, 3.91 yards per carry, 35.6% success rate, -0.11 EPA per rush.

Shotgun Run Performance, <=2 yards to go [b](Including Postseason) - [/b]20 carries, 1.4 yards per carry, 50% success rate, 0.05 EPA per rush

Under Center Run Performance, <= 2 yards to go [b](Including Postseason)  - [/b]56 carries, 2.48 yards per carry, 51.7% success rate, -0.27 EPA per rush

Shotgun Run Performance (Regular Season Only) - 112 carries, 4 yards per carry, 42.8% success rate, -0.43 EPA per rush

Under Center Run Performance (Regular Season Only) - 304 carries, 3.94 yards per carry, 36.8% success rate, -0.11 EPA per rush

Shotgun Run Performance, <=2 yards to go [b](Regular Season Only) - [/b]15 carries, 1.26 yards per carry, 53% success rate, 0.24 EPA per rush

Under Center Run Performance, <= 2 yards to go (Regular Season Only) - 51 carries, 2.35 yards per carry, 50% success rate,  -0.32 EPA per rush

Overall Run Game Performance (Regular Season) - 402 carries, -0.089 EPA per rush (22nd), 4.04 yards per carry (23rd), 38% success rate (22rd)

Overall Run Performance, Short Yardage <=2 yards to go (Regular Season) - 64 carries, -0.20 EPA per rush (30th), 2.03 yards per carry (29th), 51% success rate (29th)
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Receiving Regular Season

We had 4806 Passing/Receiving Yards.
2449 was Yards after Catch. (3rd in the league).
Average Depth of Target 7.8 yards.
Yards Before Catch per reception was 6.1.
555 Targets

Interestingly Last season, we had 1788 YAC. Average Depth of Target 8 yards. Yards Before Catch per reception was 5.4 yards. 581 targets.

My Analysis: Chase is a game breaker and made a huge difference in the YAC. I think Burrow is a great QB, but the presence of Chase definately makes the offense more explosive than it would be otherwise.

Absolutely no doubt about it. Just look at how many of these plays are to Chase…

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Fredtoast posts stats in every thread except threads specifically about stats.

Burrow has accumulated extra sacks by holding onto the ball too long but he has also made some amazing moves to avoid sacks other QBs would not be able to.
Reply/Quote
Bengals 0-3 lifetime in Superbowls..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fredtoast posts stats in every thread except threads specifically about stats.

Burrow has accumulated extra sacks by holding onto the ball too long but he has also made some amazing moves to avoid sacks other QBs would not be able to.

He's also responsible for a lot of the yards after catch. He throws the ball and then runs downfield and gets ahead of the WR and blocks.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: These are regular season numbers.

So we had 555 pass attempts. Opponents only blitzed us 132 times. Only 3 teams were blitzed less (Chiefs, Lions, and 49ers.)

I don't think people are paying enough attention to this.

It is true that other than "sacks" many of the pass rush stats are "middle of the pack", but the fact that opponents are able to get that much pressure without blitzing makes it a lot worse. Burrow is one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz. It is a shame we can't force opponents to blitz in order to get pressure.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 12:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals 0-3 lifetime in Superbowls..

This thread is for interesting stats not depressing stats!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think people are paying enough attention to this.

It is true that other than "sacks" many of the pass rush stats are "middle of the pack", but the fact that opponents are able to get that much pressure without blitzing makes it a lot worse. Burrow is one of the best QBs in the league against the blitz. It is a shame we can't force opponents to blitz in order to get pressure.

Yes. That really stood out to me too.

So not only do they get pressure with a small amount of guys, but they also have max defensive backs in coverage. Which makes our YAC even more impressive.
Reply/Quote
Here are some accuracy stats for regular season:

Throw Aways: 12 - Only 5 teams had less.
Batted passes: 8 - Only 5 teams had less.
Drops: 25. Lower third of league.
Bad Throws: 63. Lowest in the league.
Bad Throw %: 11.7% Lowest in the league. By 2%!

On Target %: 81.3%. Best in the league. By 1%!
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about him being the Next Andrew Luck but him being the next Romo ending his career with severe Back injury.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This one goes out to the people that re like 'Trade Tyler Boyd...we don't need him!':

YAC:
Higgins: 290 yards (3.8 per catch yac)
Boyd: 389 yards (5.8 per catch yac)
Chase: 651 yards (8.0 per catch yac)

Higgins yards before catch was 801. Chase's was 804. That's the distance the ball was in the air before caught.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 01:47 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm not worried about him being the Next Andrew Luck but him being the next Romo ending his career with severe Back injury.

Andrew Luck:

Played 6 seasons.
Sack %: 5%.
Sacked: 174 times. The high he was ever sacked in a season was 41 and that happened twice.

Andrew Luck sack totals: 41, 32, 27, 15, 41, and 18. <-- Doesn't seem that bad to me.

His pressure rate in 2018 was only 17.6%. Hit 51 times.

I think the narrative that Luck was put behind a terrible offensive line is false. I think that he just got injured multiple times, which can happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 01:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are some accuracy stats for regular season:

Throw Aways: 12 - Only 5 teams had less.
Batted passes: 8 - Only 5 teams had less.
Drops: 25. Lower third of league.
Bad Throws: 63. Lowest in the league.
Bad Throw %: 11.7% Lowest in the league. By 2%!

On Target %: 81.3%. Best in the league. By 1%!

Related, but I have always been skeptical of that bad throw metric. If you look at the definition of the metric, it just says "A bad throw". Lol. There isn't a very objective definition of it. I am still curious as to what constitutes a bad throw. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On the Rushing side, for regular season:

Our Yards Before Contact was 2.2 ypc...which only 5 teams were worse.

Yards After Contact was 1.8 ypc...which was middle of the pack.

Broken Tackles was 36 which was towards the top third of the league.

Rush attempts per broken tackle was 12.1 which was also towards the third of the league.

My Analysis: While everyone focuses on pass blocking, our line may be worse at run blocking...atleast during the regular season.

And that's been one of our elephants in the room. So many of our runs when we need 2-3 yards we get stuffed for little to no gain.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 02:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And that's been one of our elephants in the room. So many of our runs when we need 2-3 yards we get stuffed for little to no gain.

Yes. To me when I look at the advanced stats, while pass blocking is in no way acceptable...run blocking is worse.
Reply/Quote