Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting take on policing in the UK vs the US
(07-13-2016, 09:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Which reinforces we have a love of guns problem in this country.

I wasn't talking about gun control...at all.  I was opining that where the do not have as many guns the police handle things differently and usually with less violence.

SSF blamed drugs...which, again, had nothing to do with the story in post one.

But don't tell SSF...he'll "fix" it for you.

That's not really a love of guns. That's a person using the most efficient method available. But a person using a gun to commit suicide is not messing around, and would find another way if a gun weren't available.

As to alcohol and gun deaths, thats's not necessarily causation. I could see plenty of people in the drug trade having also consumed alcohol. I'm not saying there is never causation or at least a contributing factor as you might see in a bar fight escalating into a homicide, or maybe a domestic.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-13-2016, 11:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not really a love of guns.  That's a person using the most efficient method available.  But a person using a gun to commit suicide is not messing around, and would find another way if a gun weren't available.

As to alcohol and gun deaths, thats's not necessarily causation.  I could see plenty of people in the drug trade having also consumed alcohol.  I'm not saying there is never causation or at least a contributing factor as you might see in a bar fight escalating into a homicide, or maybe a domestic.

I think using the guns, and our perception of them being "easy to use", is part of our love of guns.

A deeper study would have to look at when the gun was purchased.  My mother in law tried to shoot herself but the gun had been in the house for decades.  As opposed to someone so distraught they would go purchase a gun just to commit suicide.

I was just answering a thought that drugs were behind the violent crimes.  Alcohol is actually behind more.  How much it has to do with drugs can be looked into too.  But alcohol is still a larger contributor than drugs are.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.