Poll: Which 1
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interior Oline Option
(03-14-2022, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm hearing the Steelers really really like Zion Johnson.

I'm sure they do.  I also read that they're big on Trevor Penning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or if Zion Johnson just happened to be sitting there at pick #31?

Couple more donuts and Zion Williamson could play guard in the NFL too.   Ninja

EDIT: Jokes aside, as I have thought about it more, I like the idea of leaving a spot open on the OL for an unknown player in the draft less. If they were picking higher and had a better idea of who would be available then, maybe. Just don't want Carman v2 (or Carman v1) immediately slotted into a starting spot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wait, is Spain re-signed?
I didn't think he was.

Read the first 5 words of the OP
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Read the first 5 words of the OP

Lol I immediately just looked at "Option 1, Option 2, and Option 3," skipping over the first line.
Thanks for the clarification.

IF Spain is retained, I'm letting Hopkins go.
Bengals wouldn't add both Cappa and Karras if they intend to keep Spain and Hopkins both, I don't think.

So I'd go into the season planning for this:
LG - Spain
C - Karras
RG - Cappa

I'd also give Carman plenty of opportunity to compete with Spain at LG though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Karras was significantly better as a guard last year then he was at C the previous two.

I'd rather spend Spain's money on a TE, RT, or CB at the moment.

No way Carman should start. Adeniji was the lowest ranked RG in the NFL last year, and Carman could not beat him out.
Reply/Quote
Definitely 2 right now because it seems to be pretty rare for lineman to make a big leap of improvement from their rookie. I mean yeah they usually get better to some degree, but does anyone think Carman can? Probably a wait and see with him, so Spain is definitely the safe choice.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Still, you need 5-6 guys on the IOL.

Right now:
1. Cappa (RG)
2. Karras (LG/C)
------------
3. Hopkins ©
-----------
4. Carman (G/T)
5. Adeniji (G/T)
6. T. Hill ©

I think Smith is a T, but can play inside some. Not letting Hopkins go until:

1) We need that $6 mil for a signing, AND
2) We have clear upgrades a C & G.

It also might be nice to have a competent reserve lineman or two. I know, baby steps, competent starters is step 1. Right now, Hopkins at C gets us closer to step 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm hearing the Steelers really really like Zion Johnson.

And Trevor Penning.

But who really makes their shorts swell is Mitchell Trubisky.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I agree.  Option 3 Although if the Bengals are thinking about bringing Spain back, I would rather sign Connor Williams for 7 million a year vs Spain at 5 million a year.  That would be a nice improvement to the line without spending much more money

Yes I want youth. But this was earlier I have to check all the updates as I just got off of work.

(03-14-2022, 04:42 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Second the motion.
I don’t want any stench from the Super Bowl oline wafting around the team.  Carmen gets no love either, let him earn it at training camp. I think he has all the tools to start plus a nasty presence on the field.

Spain did play pretty terrible in the SB and the Playoffs in general. Think this was cause he was still injured, even then you 
wonder why Carman wasn't playing in either his or Adeniji's spot.

(03-14-2022, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely.  Even though my football playing days would have been over within a few years of my injury anyway, it's still been 21 years since I've been able to do other activities I really used to enjoy, like waterskiing and basketball.  The turbulence on the water, and the shock from landing from jumps just sends shock waves through my spine.

Rough, just have to hope Carman being so young he can overcome.
Reply/Quote
So what kind of hints is Spain putting out there?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So what kind of hints is Spain putting out there?

I think face emojis, positive or intriguing ones? He's vague.
Reply/Quote
The projection seems to be Karras at C. However, I still voted Karras/Hopkins/Cappa (option 1), based on Karras having better production at LG than C. Hopkins spent the year coming back from injury, and Spain reportedly played hurt at the end, so it's hard to evaluate their performance.

What I would really like to know is how they view Carman, D'Ante and Adeniji. Is there anything there? It would really help if it turned out that one of them can actually play.
Reply/Quote
Hopkins struggled early on due to his injury but ended the season pretty strong. I think with Cappa and Karras on either side of him, he would be fine at Center. Conversely, I think Spain, Cappa and Karras would be fine as well. The thing about Spain vs Hopkins is versatility. Spain can play any position except center, should we suffer injury. Hopkins is a Center who can play guard.
Reply/Quote
Spain isn’t going to be here, and it’s far too early to write off our 2nd round pick from last season. 3 is the best option, in my opinion, and it’s probably not all that close. I still support upgrading the LG-C spot, then having Karras fill in the other, as the best option though. If we’re going with one of the 3 you have shown, I’ll go with the one with upside and potential over proven mediocrity.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:39 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Spain isn’t going to be here, and it’s far too early to write off our 2nd round pick from last season. 3 is the best option, in my opinion, and it’s probably not all that close. I still support upgrading the LG-C spot, then having Karras fill in the other, as the best option though. If we’re going with one of the 3 you have shown, I’ll go with the one with upside and potential over proven mediocrity.

Based on what?

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Definitely 2 right now because it seems to be pretty rare for lineman to make a big leap of improvement from their rookie. I mean yeah they usually get better to some degree, but does anyone think Carman can?

Actually it is pretty common for a player to make a big leap from their rookie season to their second, and there is no reason to think Carman can't.

On the other hand he has to earn that staring spot.  I don't want it to be handed to him based just on potential.
Reply/Quote
Cappa-Karras-Spain. Not bad at all. Let Carman develop and back up the OG spots. If Reiff end up signing another one year deal with us, then our OL is set. Also spend a second/third round pick on another OT to develop behind Reiff and play next year. Go BPA at 31.
Reply/Quote
2...and it's motivated by my complete lack of faith in both Hopkins and Carman. If you were a part of the mess at C/RG last year, I want no part of you.

Tbh, I'd be fine if we replaced Spain as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2...and it's motivated by my complete lack of faith in both Hopkins and Carman. If you were a part of the mess at C/RG last year, I want no part of you.

If you release every rookie that does not play well then you are going to release some of the best players in NFL history.

I am not saying Carman is going to be great, but it is silly to write him off after his rookie season.  I don't want them to pencil him in as a starter based just on potential, but He still has a good chance to become a solid NFL starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Definitely 2 right now because it seems to be pretty rare for lineman to make a big leap of improvement from their rookie. I mean yeah they usually get better to some degree, but does anyone think Carman can? Probably a wait and see with him, so Spain is definitely the safe choice.

Great point. How often does a linemen go from dumpster fire as a rookie to "wow, he's actually pretty good and I'm confident starting him" in their 2nd year? LOL

This is why I'm 1 step above just moving on from Carman. If I'm the GM, he can stay on the roster, but he's just a backup with some upside until further notice. This is a SB squad that can't waste a season on a guy who isn't ready to block for the franchise.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote