Poll: Which 1
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interior Oline Option
(03-15-2022, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you release every rookie that does not play well then you are going to release some of the best players in NFL history.

I am not saying Carman is going to be great, but it is silly to write him off after his rookie season.  I don't want them to pencil him in as a starter based just on potential, but He still has a good chance to become a solid NFL starter.

Where did I say we should cut Carman? I want no part of him on the starting o-line. He can stay on the roster.

...and see my last post for my opinion on your 2nd paragraph.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt hate this oline:

Jonah Williams
Ted Karras
JC Tretter
Alex Cappa
La’el Collins

James Daniels to the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you release every rookie that does not play well then you are going to release some of the best players in NFL history.

I am not saying Carman is going to be great, but it is silly to write him off after his rookie season.  I don't want them to pencil him in as a starter based just on potential, but He still has a good chance to become a solid NFL starter.

He was a rookie coming off a back surgery that was asked to play a different position in the NFL than he played in college. Why would anyone think he would have a great season? If people are ready to write him off, that's just plain dumb and stupid.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it is pretty common for a player to make a big leap from their rookie season to their second, and there is no reason to think Carman can't.

On the other hand he has to earn that staring spot.  I don't want it to be handed to him based just on potential.

Agreed but I was just referring to lineman though, which is more about physicality than skill. But I think there is enough reason to think Carman won't make a big leap in just one offseason to being a starter after what we saw. Hopefully not, maybe he will have an insane offseason of training and workouts to make that leap.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Browns released JC Tretter....

This guy is at Jensen level. Get him to stay in Ohio for a couple years?

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Agreed but I was just referring to lineman though, which is more about physicality than skill. But I think there is enough reason to think Carman won't make a big leap in just one offseason to being a starter after what we saw. Hopefully not, maybe he will have an insane offseason of training and workouts to make that leap.

What Carman lacked last season was not physicality. He needs to learn the nuances and be more consistent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:57 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: The projection seems to be Karras at C.  However, I still voted Karras/Hopkins/Cappa (option 1), based on Karras having better production at LG than C.  Hopkins spent the year coming back from injury, and Spain reportedly played hurt at the end, so it's hard to evaluate their performance.  

What I would really like to know is how they view Carman, D'Ante and Adeniji.  Is there anything there?  It would really help if it turned out that one of them can actually play.

Have high hopes for Carman and D'Ante. I don't think there is anything there with Adeniji. Cannot stay low and is on roller skates.

Michael Jordan is who he reminds me of, you know the guy we drafted from Ohio State...
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Agreed but I was just referring to lineman though, which is more about physicality than skill. But I think there is enough reason to think Carman won't make a big leap in just one offseason to being a starter after what we saw. Hopefully not, maybe he will have an insane offseason of training and workouts to make that leap.

I dont want to say, I disagree with you, but I thought there was enough "flashes" from Carman last season to warrant a wait and see. Get the back fixed, let him go to the left side and let him compete with whoever. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:18 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Browns released JC Tretter....

This guy is at Jensen level.  Get him to stay in Ohio for a couple years?

Yeah, get Tretter in here. Wink

And Collins. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great point. How often does a linemen go from dumpster fire as a rookie to "wow, he's actually pretty good and I'm confident starting him" in their 2nd year? LOL

This is why I'm 1 step above just moving on from Carman. If I'm the GM, he can stay on the roster, but he's just a backup with some upside until further notice. This is a SB squad that can't waste a season on a guy who isn't ready to block for the franchise.

I mean I'm not writing him off by any means. But it wasn't like he was sitting behind a below average starter, but instead sitting behind one of the worst guards I have ever seen in Adenji. So yeah, I definitely would stick with Spain or some free agent yet signed over him going into the season to be on the safe side. And then let Carman be backup while getting better.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Williams - LT | Karras - LG | Tretter - C | Cappa - RG | Open (Draft Pick? Collins? Jackson? Reiff?) - RT
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, get Tretter in here. Wink

And Collins. Mellow

If we get Tretter in the fold, I am almost content to see what Smith can do at Rt.... I think having the vets will push him to be a good tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I wouldnt hate this oline:

Jonah Williams
Ted Karras
JC Tretter
Alex Cappa
La’el Collins

James Daniels to the Steelers.

Wouldn't hate?!  That's a top 10-15 line in the league at the very worst.  If we put that line down week 1 our offense is going to be SCARY.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Now, if we could get Tretter, that is a huge upgrade at C. Huge. I'd prioritize him over Collins. Plus, if we land him, we can release Hopkins to offset the cost.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Based on what?

The fact that he isn’t currently under contract.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Steelers add G Daniels to O-line
The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to a three-year, $26.5 million contract with Chicago Bears guard James Daniels, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.
Reply/Quote
2. And keep Hopkins. He can be a valuable asset.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Option 1. Hopkins graded out well in pass protection later in the season. This is a pass first team so he fits the team. Yeah, he's not a road grader, but they could do a lot worse at center imo. I'd keep him as a starter until they know for certain that they've found someone who can play better. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 04:33 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Option 2 ser. Carmen should not be in the starting line up

I Agree.Anyone who hasn’t proven themselves has no business in there.We need a win now OL.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 04:07 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The fact that he isn’t currently under contract.

Gone and not re-signed yet are 2 different things. He hasn’t signed anywhere else yet either.

Reply/Quote