Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Mike McCarthy Please
There are lots of outstanding posts in Jungle Noise about the Front Office scheduling interviews with young, innovative coaches from the Sean McVay and Bill Belichick coaching trees. I think this is a promising trend but I want to posit the idea of interviewing Mike McCarthy who was released by the Packers a few weeks ago.

If Cincinnati wants to win the Super Bowl I think it’s prudent to interview a head coach who won a Super Bowl. Also, bringing in McCarthy to at least talk to the Front Office raises the possibility of a reunion with Alex Van Pelt, Aaron Rodgers’ quarterback coach from Green Bay who now coaches Andy Dalton.

What is Mike’s emphasis? Offensive line! He passionately believed in keeping Aaron Rodgers as clean as possible to allow deep plays to develop. Finally, I remember a few years ago when the Packers’ outstanding right tackle, Bryan Bulaga, went down with an injury and his backup performed expertly. This means McCarthy develops quality depth not just excellent starters.

If Mike Brown wants a young innovative head coach that’s fine but Mike McCarthy is innovative in his own right with the side benefit of being a consistent champion and Super Bowl winner.

Mike McCarthy is worth a serious look. Cleveland has already scheduled an interview with him and I think Cincinnati needs to do the same.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No thanks.

Dude had Aaron Rodgers carrying him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There are lots of outstanding posts in Jungle Noise about the Front Office scheduling interviews with young, innovative coaches from the Sean McVay and Bill Belichick coaching trees.  I think this is a promising trend but I want to posit the idea of interviewing Mike McCarthy who was released by the Packers a few weeks ago.

If Cincinnati wants to win the Super Bowl I think it’s prudent to interview a head coach who won a Super Bowl.  Also, bringing in McCarthy to at least talk to the Front Office raises the possibility of a reunion with Alex Van Pelt, Aaron Rogers’ quarterback coach from Green Bay who now coaches Andy Dalton.

What is Mike’s emphasis?  Offensive line!  He passionately believed in keeping Aaron Rogers as clean as possible to allow deep plays to develop.  Finally, I remember a few years ago when the Packers’ outstanding right tackle, Bryan Bulaga, went down with an injury and his backup performed expertly.  This means McCarthy develops quality depth not just excellent starters.

If Mike Brown wants a young innovative head coach that’s fine but Mike McCarthy is innovative in his own right with the side benefit of being a consistent champion and Super Bowl winner.

Mike McCarthy is worth a serious look. Cleveland has already scheduled an interview with him and I think Cincinnati needs to do the same.
The Broncos have interviewed him too.  And the Cardinals are reportedly willing to give him full organizational control.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Too old school for me. We need a young, aggressive, innovative mind around here. Those coaches off the Sean Mcvay tree are much more appealing to me.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:16 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: No thanks.

Dude had Aaron Rodgers carrying him.

And we have Andy Dalton who could carry him here...bwahahahahahahahahahaha
Reply/Quote
no thanks, his success was partially due to a Hall of Fame QB named Aaron Rodgers.......lets go offensive but young........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'd be ok with anyone not of the Marvin Lewis tree at this point.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:03 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd be ok with anyone not of the Marvin Lewis tree at this point.

This is fair.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:03 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd be ok with anyone not of the Marvin Lewis tree at this point.

Should be easy to do, his tree is like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Me too !

I'd rather have a younger offensive mined HC. But in no way would I be angry at McCarthy being hired. Anything that gets us out of the status quo.
Reply/Quote

I guess that means no for Mike Zimmer Whatever
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
McCarthy is most likely going to the Jets. I suspect we will interview some coaches, but with 8 or 9 openings, we will not get any of the big names, and will hire Simmons. Which, if that happens, is not as good as some, but better than Hue.... I'd be ok with giving Simmons a shot, but I would really like to get Bieniemy, but everyone is after him as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:43 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I guess that means no for Mike Zimmer Whatever

That's the parcell tree.  ThumbsUp

Before Zimmer left, I advocated for firing Marvin and putting Zimmer in place. I'd take him over just about anybody as I think he's done well here, and done well in Minnesota without much to work with.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 09:06 PM)Benton Wrote: That's the parcell tree.  ThumbsUp

Before Zimmer left, I advocated for firing Marvin and putting Zimmer in place. I'd take him over just about anybody as I think he's done well here, and done well in Minnesota without much to work with.

Did you just sat Zims didn't have much to work with in Minny?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
McCarthy would never agree to the amount of control Mike Brown would still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 09:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you just sat Zims didn't have much to work with in Minny?

When he got there, no.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 09:52 PM)bjf123 Wrote: McCarthy would never agree to the amount of control Mike Brown would still have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With enough financial incentive, I'd think that BB himself would be just fine with the executive structure in Cincinnati. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What is Mike’s emphasis?  Offensive line!  He passionately believed in keeping Aaron Rodgers as clean as possible to allow deep plays to develop.  Finally, I remember a few years ago when the Packers’ outstanding right tackle, Bryan Bulaga, went down with an injury and his backup performed expertly.  This means McCarthy develops quality depth not just excellent starters.

Not sure if I agree with this...  McCarthy inherited a good offensive line, but it declined sharply as his tenure progressed.  Recently, the Packers have consistently been one of the worst teams in the "sacks allowed" category -- dead last in 2009 and, apart from an outlier year in 2014, bottom-10 in each of the last 8 years.  I think '09 was the year we sacked Rodgers 6-7 times.  And Rodgers was sacked 49 times last year.  McCarthy certainly has tried to protect Rodgers.  They have one of the higher-paid o-lines, and he typically uses a blocking back or TE on most passing plays, but they haven't been able to get the job done.  Not sure if it's injuries, wrong personnel, poor drafting, or something else.

My biggest problem with McCarthy, though, apart from his poor game management, is how he plays ineffective vets over more talented younger guys.  Like playing Jamal Williams and Ty Montgomery over Aaron Jones for most of this past year when Jones was clearly the better back.  Those were two of my biggest issues with Marvin, too (behind lack of discipline/accountability).

Love the SB win, but I wouldn't be thrilled if we brought McCarthy in.
Reply/Quote
At first i was all for McCarthy but i am leaning more to the guys we are interviewing
honestly in Taylor, Bienemy, Waldron and now it looks like we are interviewing
Monken who i also really like.
Reply/Quote