Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiring an Inexperienced Coached - A Con
Not saying Taylor was a bad hire, but we're seeing the Con of hiring a coach with not a lot of NFL experience...they don't have the connections made with other coaches in the NFL and the pull to get them to come to Cincy.

We're seeing it big-time with the DC search with a lot of these guys turning the job down. It's pretty unprecedented to not have a DC at this point.

We've also seen it in lesser ways with some of the coaching hires as he seems to be hiring within his network of friends...and they are also very inexperienced and some of their track records aren't very great.

Not saying this is bad, as it is basically all unknown at this point...but I'm starting to be concerned about it.

We do need atleast 1 coach with experience to help to run training camp/practice/etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not saying Taylor was a bad hire, but we're seeing the Con of hiring a coach with not a lot of NFL experience...they don't have the connections made with other coaches in the NFL and the pull to get them to come to Cincy.

We're seeing it big-time with the DC search with a lot of these guys turning the job down. It's pretty unprecedented to not have a DC at this point.

We've also seen it in lesser ways with some of the coaching hires as he seems to be hiring within his network of friends...and they are also very inexperienced and some of their track records aren't very great.

Not saying this is bad, as it is basically all unknown at this point...but I'm starting to be concerned about it.

We do need atleast 1 coach with experience to help to run training camp/practice/etc.

Simmons has been here 16 years......Van Pelt has been around, as has Bicknell.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Simmons has been here 16 years......Van Pelt has been around, as has Bicknell.

Simmons has all of his experience here under Marvin.

We needed to add an experienced OC or DC.

I don't see a QB Coach or Bicknell moving the needle much.

Simmons? - Who knows. He's a special teams coach.
Reply/Quote
I'm not exactly inspired to think the coming season will be full of greatness. Sure, a few players may thrive, but as a whole? It's becoming less and less inspiring. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the remaining coaches decide to jump ship before the season starts.. Then what? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not exactly inspired to think the coming season will be full of greatness. Sure, a few players may thrive, but as a whole? It's becoming less and less inspiring. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the remaining coaches decide to jump ship before the season starts.. Then what? 

Well, we could still have Marvin.  He's got experience up the wazoo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not exactly inspired to think the coming season will be full of greatness. Sure, a few players may thrive, but as a whole? It's becoming less and less inspiring. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the remaining coaches decide to jump ship before the season starts.. Then what? 

Yeah it just feels like we're going with plan E and F in a lot of cases.

The guys that appear to have been Plan A like the offensive line coach appear underwhelming.

Could we surprise and win 10 games? I suppose. Could we win 4-5 games? I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Simmons has all of his experience here under Marvin.

We needed to add an experienced OC or DC.

I don't see a QB Coach or Bicknell moving the needle much.

Simmons? - Who knows. He's a special teams coach.

My point was they are all very well seasoned NFL coaches.  They've been around a few training camps.

Otherwise, I get the concern.  I'd like a DC with some experience, but OC doesn't concern me that much.  There is a good mix of youth and veteran on that side of the ball.  I like the idea of the unknown there.  Defenses won't know what to expect, in that regard.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:54 PM)McC Wrote: Well, we could still have Marvin.  He's got experience up the wazoo.

^^^^^^^This x infinityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply/Quote
I do agree that a change was needed.

I just wish that the assistant hires seemed to have more of a plan.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do agree that a change was needed.

From what I've read, he has a plan.....and maybe he's overthinking said plan and being a little too picky.  That would be the only concern I have.  From all sources regarding the guy, he's very deliberate and meticulous.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do agree that a change was needed.

In the interest of your sanity, try the approach I've decided to take.  It'll either work or it won't and no amount of fretting by you or me or anyone else will make even one iota of a difference.  No one will know until September.  Do you have six months of worry in you?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: From what I've read, he has a plan.....and maybe he's overthinking said plan and being a little too picky.  That would be the only concern I have.  From all sources regarding the guy, he's very deliberate and meticulous.

I just keep going back to the fact that so many smart NFL people have repeatedly said this guy is ready to be a HC.  

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah it just feels like we're going with plan E and F in a lot of cases.

The guys that appear to have been Plan A like the offensive line coach appear underwhelming.

Could we surprise and win 10 games? I suppose. Could we win 4-5 games? I suppose.

I suppose 0 wins could be in our future as well. Maybe they're planning on tanking for that coveted #1 pick! woooo... uhhh..hoo..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'd say this would fall under Duke Tobin rather than Zac Taylor.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Let's just get through 2019. It's about a wash at this point. All focus (even Hobspin admits is on 2020).

That's why we need to rebuild Browns style and try to trade as many players as we can. Our Vets aren't going to achieve much of nothing else here for the next couple years.

Free them to try to have some late career success. Players like Atkins, Green, Dunlap, and even Dalton deserve that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let's just get through 2019. It's about a wash at this point. All focus (even Hobspin admits is on 2020).

Hell, I said that 2019 was before Merv left. LOL 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let's just get through 2019. It's about a wash at this point. All focus (even Hobspin admits is on 2020).

That's why we need to rebuild Browns style and try to trade as many players as we can. Our Vets aren't going to achieve much of nothing else here for the next couple years.

Free them to try to have some late career success. Players like Atkins, Green, Dunlap, and even Dalton deserve that.

Which is an issue. Our core players are 30 in win now mode. But, we have a lot of holes that may take 2-3 years to fill and the veterans will be too old to win.
Reply/Quote